The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

2017 Uni of Bristol applicants mega-thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mahmzo
It depends on your predicted, i heard that Bristol don't really look at AS Grades. Just predicted/personal statement. But if you can mention that in your personal statement. They will most likely let you
Thank you so much for your help. The reason for me questioning it is that I don't really anything else to happen due to me reporting my circumstances to get in to university. But i now do believe some good should come of it aha
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 41
Sorry was meaning to ask, what are you applying for and what are your stats x
Reply 42
Original post by Pndomo
Sorry was meaning to ask, what are you applying for and what are your stats x

I am applying for Aerospace engineering

I got ABC at AS (Physics,Maths,Computer Science)

I am predicted A*AA due to being 2 marks off an A in maths and Getting an A in one paper in CS and a E in the other (Teacher taught us the old spec, and hence i am self teaching this year lol.)
Reply 43
Original post by mahmzo
I am applying for Aerospace engineering

I got ABC at AS (Physics,Maths,Computer Science)

I am predicted A*AA due to being 2 marks off an A in maths and Getting an A in one paper in CS and a E in the other (Teacher taught us the old spec, and hence i am self teaching this year lol.)

Oh god i'm sure you'll be fine regardless... But Wow sounds great good luck!
Reply 44
Original post by SDJ2000
I'm hoping to apply for the degree in aerospace (meng) as an internationaI applicant.I heard that bristol requires 8 gcses but i only have 7.However i have A*A*AA at a levels. Will my gcses be a problem?

Hey i am also applying for the MEng in Aerospace Engineering. What A level are you doing?
Original post by Pndomo
Hi guys! Kind of obsessed with these threads lol!
My top choice wouldve Bristol for Law however, I didn't due that well at AS ACC due to a lot of personal issues that have occurred from secondary school until present...
My father has been diagnosed with bipolar and mild schizophrenia since i was about 3. Due to the episodes (breakdowns) he has every now and then he often causes scenes at any of the schools i have been to. I was always told i have been emotionally abused by some of the events taken place in my presence. The break down of the relationship between me and my mother caused me to become homeless for a few weeks leading up to my AS exams and a few days after exams. Im not sure on whether to apply for extenuating circumstances or not but these incidents have effected me greatly. Thanks guys!

If you can get your school to support an application for extenuating circumstances and if you have a good personal statement and predicted grades then go for it! I'm sorry so much happened to you at a crucial time and I hope it doesn't hinder you from applying for your dream courses. Best of luck x
Reply 46
Original post by Beccaaaaaaaaa
If you can get your school to support an application for extenuating circumstances and if you have a good personal statement and predicted grades then go for it! I'm sorry so much happened to you at a crucial time and I hope it doesn't hinder you from applying for your dream courses. Best of luck x

Thank you so much! Yeah my tutor is aware pf what happened and I actually have a meeting with her tomorrow to go over my application via extenuating circumstances as a whole. I have done a lot of extra curricular to support my application also. Thanks for your support hopefully being able to do law at university will be a source of good that has come from the hardships i have experienced. What are you studying and where are you studying?best of luck to you also x
Original post by Pndomo
Thank you so much! Yeah my tutor is aware pf what happened and I actually have a meeting with her tomorrow to go over my application via extenuating circumstances as a whole. I have done a lot of extra curricular to support my application also. Thanks for your support hopefully being able to do law at university will be a source of good that has come from the hardships i have experienced. What are you studying and where are you studying?best of luck to you also x

That sounds perfect! Your form tutor will know what to do and probably give you the best advice for your applications :smile: I'm in my A2 year and I hope to do PPE at Oxford! X
Reply 48
Original post by mahmzo
Hey i am also applying for the MEng in Aerospace Engineering. What A level are you doing?

I did maths (a*),further maths (a*),physics (a) and chemistry (a),
How abt u?
Reply 49
Original post by Beccaaaaaaaaa
That sounds perfect! Your form tutor will know what to do and probably give you the best advice for your applications :smile: I'm in my A2 year and I hope to do PPE at Oxford! X

Wow that sounds amazing hope it all works out in your favour! X
Regarding 'Extenuating Circumstances' (ie. illness, bereavement, family crisis etc at a critical time in your A level course) - do not assume that any Uni will simply spot this in a reference. Each Uni will have a different method for notifying them (ie, having your claim properly documented) and you need to check what this is - Bristol's is explained here (with the appropriate form) : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/applicants/applied/extenuating-circumstances/ Remember that you will need to go through this process for each of your 5 choices.

PS. 'Teaching difficulties' as in 'I had 2 Physics teachers in one year' are not extenuating circumstances - you are supposed to cope with this sort of stuff, as this isnt GCSE and you are not being spoon-fed any longer. We are taking serious, life changing, circumstances here not 'My kitten died/I had a row with my girlfriend' etc. This sort of 'claim' will go straight in the bin.
Reply 51
Original post by returnmigrant
Regarding 'Extenuating Circumstances' (ie. illness, bereavement, family crisis etc at a critical time in your A level course) - do not assume that any Uni will simply spot this in a reference. Each Uni will have a different method for notifying them (ie, having your claim properly documented) and you need to check what this is - Bristol's is explained here (with the appropriate form) : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/applicants/applied/extenuating-circumstances/ Remember that you will need to go through this process for each of your 5 choices.

PS. 'Teaching difficulties' as in 'I had 2 Physics teachers in one year' are not extenuating circumstances - you are supposed to cope with this sort of stuff, as this isnt GCSE and you are not being spoon-fed any longer. We are taking serious, life changing, circumstances here not 'My kitten died/I had a row with my girlfriend' etc. This sort of 'claim' will go straight in the bin.

Yeah I have called them and i can apply. My circumstances are obviously a lot more crucial than my cat dying. I have to submit a form detailing all of what has happened. All the things you have listed are things you should be able to cope with so hopefully it should be fine.
Original post by Pndomo
My circumstances are obviously a lot more crucial than my cat dying.

Sorry if I implied this - I didn't mean to!

PS. The other thing ALL Universities will put in the bin is people suddenly mentioning long-term Extenuating Circumstances either as they walk out of their exams (ie. they know they have bombed and are looking for an excuse) or after the results are announced (ditto). Obviously we are not talking 'illness on the exam day' here (the exam board should be notified about this), but If its a reason that is genuinely serious and worth taking into account, you should have mentioned it to the Uni far earlier than June/July/August!
Reply 53
Sorry if I implied this - I didn't mean to!

PS. The other thing ALL Universities will put in the bin is people suddenly mentioning long-term Extenuating Circumstances either as they walk out of their exams (ie. they know they have bombed and are looking for an excuse) or after the results are announced (ditto). Obviously we are not talking 'illness on the exam day' here (the exam board should be notified about this), but If its a reason that is genuinely serious and worth taking into account, you should have mentioned it to the Uni far earlier than June/July/August!

Ah okay no worries! Just spoken to my tutor and she is happy to help me in retrieving all the relevant documents needed to support my application (the extenuating circumstances). Yeah now it's just a case of making sure all my 5 choices are notified of this.
Reply 54
Lots of questions starting to appear about applications for 2017 entry!

Just to keep these questions all in one place - and so you can get to know each other - here is the start of a mega-thread.

First questions for you to answer - did you come to one of the June or September Open Days, what subjects are you interested in, and what are your thoughts about Bristol?

How is the liberal arts programme at Bristol?
Original post by maya438
How is the liberal arts programme at Bristol?

What do you mean by 'how is'?

Details of the program can be found here : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/study/undergraduate/liberal-arts/
Reply 56
What do you mean by 'how is'?

Details of the program can be found here : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/study/undergraduate/liberal-arts/

Thank you. I just meant if its regarded as a good programme in the UK
Original post by maya438
Thank you. I just meant if its regarded as a good programme in the UK

Bristol is one of the top Unis in the UK. The Liberal Arts program is a well established 4 year course that combines an interdisciplinary program with a year abroad. Its strength is the opportunity to study not just individual disciplines, but the links between those disciplines.

Only you can determine if its the right course for you.
I have an unconditional offer for Law starting in 2017 (deferred by year, applied last year).My GCSEs, back in 2007/8 were A*,5 As, 4 Bs, 2 Cs. My A Levels were terrible. I got 2 Ds. There were reasons, but I don't go into that.

What I did was turn it around. I joined the RAF and gained experience with skills that are transferable to Law. I started an OU course (also in Law) and scored 83% over 120 credits. I scored 32/42 in the LNAT, worked hard on my personal statement, and went to a "mature student" interview.

When I started my UCAS application last year, I was aiming for USW and UWE. I added Swansea and Bristol to the application because I had spaces to fill; I wasn't actually expecting to get offers from either (of course I wanted them, though!) so was very surprised when I got my offers from both.

Bristol have been amazing already, and I'm very excited to start there (I'm repeating Year One of my LLB, but happy to do so)
Reply 59
Original post by dontcallmesammy
I have an unconditional offer for Law starting in 2017 (deferred by year, applied last year).My GCSEs, back in 2007/8 were A*,5 As, 4 Bs, 2 Cs. My A Levels were terrible. I got 2 Ds. There were reasons, but I don't go into that.

What I did was turn it around. I joined the RAF and gained experience with skills that are transferable to Law. I started an OU course (also in Law) and scored 83% over 120 credits. I scored 32/42 in the LNAT, worked hard on my personal statement, and went to a "mature student" interview.

When I started my UCAS application last year, I was aiming for USW and UWE. I added Swansea and Bristol to the application because I had spaces to fill; I wasn't actually expecting to get offers from either (of course I wanted them, though!) so was very surprised when I got my offers from both.

Bristol have been amazing already, and I'm very excited to start there (I'm repeating Year One of my LLB, but happy to do so)

How did you get an Unconditional??? Can anyone with an amazing PS get one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending