The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ~Tara~
It will sound contradictory which makes me wonder if I even have a "host". To keep myself safe I built an observer/analyser part and when they are in control, I'm aware of more parts and the parts talk to her rather than switch to be heard. But sometimes it takes me a while to know I've changed too.

I guess that's because for the most part my cognition isn't affected too badly with older teen sort of age. It's more like realising after the fact that I've been emotionally responding very differently. But it's not always that clear either.

I used to be really bad for contradicting myself. And both points would feel true. It's been much easier to be honest about thoughts and feelings now I can say, this part thinks this and this part thinks this.

Do you find you contradict yourself much?

TW for discussion of abuse

Spoiler

Original post by ~Tara~
That sounds like a really horrible cough 🙁 You're not pathetic, it's okay to feel overwhelmed.

Hugs if okay

Yeah, it is pretty bad. I think a different medical condition I have is causing it, just one problem after another. :sigh:

I think it's not ok to feel overwhelmed. It's not as if other people at this university don't have the same or even more work than me to do and they manage. I'm scraping Ds and it seems that all the people around me have high Bs or even As. How do they manage to fit everything in - I mean, I don't even have friends so socializing doesn't exactly take much out of my week. :colondollar: But I feel completely unable to cope. People around me are coping, I am not and I do not know how to turn things around.

I read your posts to TLG, I hope you don't mind me asking, do you have a formal diagnosis? You may have mentioned it before (sorry, terrible memory).
i'm being admitted to hospital and i'm just so ****ing terrified
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
TW for discussion of abuse

Spoiler

If it works, I say keep it :smile:

Original post by Sabertooth
Yeah, it is pretty bad. I think a different medical condition I have is causing it, just one problem after another. :sigh:

I think it's not ok to feel overwhelmed. It's not as if other people at this university don't have the same or even more work than me to do and they manage. I'm scraping Ds and it seems that all the people around me have high Bs or even As. How do they manage to fit everything in - I mean, I don't even have friends so socializing doesn't exactly take much out of my week. :colondollar: But I feel completely unable to cope. People around me are coping, I am not and I do not know how to turn things around.

I read your posts to TLG, I hope you don't mind me asking, do you have a formal diagnosis? You may have mentioned it before (sorry, terrible memory).

People around you may look like they're coping but still have difficulties. Or they may not be facing the same difficulties as you have. I think it's really easy to downplay the effects our mental illnesses have because we are always comparing to "normal". Some research I did for college reminded me to compare like for like. For your history and diagnosis, you're probably way ahead of the curve simply by attending uni. Gaining any level of degree is a huge achievement.

I know the factors measured on my own life mean being alive is classed as a success. Success being measured also by not being alcoholic or drug addict, not still being homeless, earned GCSEs (never mind further or higher education), being business owner. I have all those things and I still have days where I have SU ideation. I still get angry at myself for not finding it as easy as others. For not being able to be on top of things all the time. For not getting those a's and b's and struggling to see how being ahead of the curve really helps when I'm less than average overall. I guess I don't have advice just wanted to help you feel less alone with the struggle

-

Official formal diagnosis is pending. But therapist has confirmed presence of parts and has seen me switch. Now we're trying to meander the parts without triggering need to go to psych facility to gain control again. That's tough sometimes because I have a reaction which completely shuts me down and traps me inside myself. I'm not sure if it's a non-verbal/pre-verbal part or different dissociative state.
Original post by ScaryScience
i'm being admitted to hospital and i'm just so ****ing terrified

Aw SS :hugs: just remember we're all here for you.
Feel rough today, think a day in bed is needed.

Hugs to all that need them :hugs:
Original post by Midnightmemories
Feel rough today, think a day in bed is needed.

Hugs to all that need them :hugs:

Hugs back, hope you feel better tomorrow :hugs:
Just wanted to let you guys know that 'Mental Health Awareness Week' won project of the year at the Support Team meet this year :h:
Got really low last night and spent about three hours crying to my housemate, and talking about everything **** in life. I feel so embarrassed now.
- Ezme39
Original post by Deyesy
Just wanted to let you guys know that 'Mental Health Awareness Week' won project of the year at the Support Team meet this year :h:

:woo: Amazing work!
Huge :grouphugs: to all, especially @ScaryScience

Original post by Deyesy

:king1: :congrats: :awesome:
Original post by Deyesy

Sweet! Congrats to everyone involved :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have a bad flare up out the blue for no specific reason with a physical condition - people understand that flare ups can just happen for no reason and they give you time to get through it

Have a flare up or setback with your mental condition without anything bad or stressful happening to cause it, at least in their eyes - you get told to get a grip and you shouldn't be in that situation since 'nothing has happened'

Mental health conditions are just as unpredictable as any physical condition. You can have a few good days and then for no reason, you're at your worst. I don't understand how people think saying **** like "Why are you in this state again?" or "are you not out of it yet?!" is going to help anyone during a flare up, mental or physical ffs :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
Have a bad flare up out the blue for no specific reason with a physical condition - people understand that flare ups can just happen for no reason and they give you time to get through it

Have a flare up or setback with your mental condition without anything bad or stressful happening to cause it, at least in their eyes - you get told to get a grip and you shouldn't be in that situation since 'nothing has happened'

Mental health conditions are just as unpredictable as any physical condition. You can have a few good days and then for no reason, you're at your worst. I don't understand how people think saying **** like "Why are you in this state again?" or "are you not out of it yet?!" is going to help anyone during a flare up, mental or physical ffs :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:jumphug:
Original post by ~Tara~
Therapy is kicking my butt at the moment and I'm a bit cross with my therapist. He struggles when I dissociate (which is fine, it's hard to focus when I'm in that state) but then he wants to poke on the very thing that makes me the most dissociated. I slur and struggle to speak. I know the point is to eventually poke enough that the dissociation lessens but I hate making him angry/frustrated. I also hate how much this is bringing out child parts. I don't name my parts. Sometimes think would be easier so we all know when someone new is in charge.

Anyway. I'm overwhelmed and worried that I won't be able to do uni because, you know, a 6 year old can't do uni. Well unless a genius.

My therapist gets really frustrated too and I can see it....which makes me panic and makes it worse.... :colonhash:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hugs back, hope you feel better tomorrow :hugs:

Thank you :hugs: Hope you're alright :hugs:
Really been struggling for the last few days with HA, OCD, panic attacks and everything else:cry2:

My mum is going to call up CMHS tomorrow and see if she can get me an earlier appointment or something. If not, my appointment is next Friday. Not too long away but it might as well be next century with the way I've been feeling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's taken me over a week to write 188 words and I'm due to have about 1500-2000 in by tomorrow. I just cannot focus whatsoever. This ADHD assessment cannot come quick enough
So a few days ago I got my results back for my exam resit, I got a 75 (up from 53). So now my degree classification is a 1st. I'm happy - or I should be, I kinda don't know how to feel. Everything must be fine though if I can achieve things academically? :dontknow:

ED things

Spoiler

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm hardly sleeping atm, too stressed out about various things. PTSD has been really bad flashback-wise recently too. :sigh: Obviously that means that I've been dissociating a lot too, so my dad's been getting frustrated with me when I don't talk because I literally can't sometimes. And when he's frustrated it makes the dissociation worse, blahblah. It's a ****ing circle.

I feel really alone and down. Everything's pointless.
Worried of being alone when my sister leaves.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest