The Student Room Group

Question about Contract Law

I would like to ask how can i do and structure my answers, the topic of this question is about contract law. (A practice question)
It's highly appreciated if u guys could help me a bit . :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Use the IRAC approach you will have been shown in tutorial.

Please also read the sticky
Reply 2
Original post by Mimir
Use the IRAC approach you will have been shown in tutorial.

Please also read the sticky

kindly ask how should i answer the "advise" question?
Reply 3
i doubt whether
“I heard that you are selling your car for $9000. I am interested in buying it, let me know if it is still available.” this statement is an offer or not.
Reply 4
Original post by a22747568
kindly ask how should i answer the "advise" question?

i doubt whether
“I heard that you are selling your car for $9000. I am interested in buying it, let me know if it is still available.” this statement is an offer or not.

Read the sticky
Reply 5
I know that TSR is not provided to help doing the homework , so I just want to ask the doubtful part I think in the question which is whether “I heard that you are selling your car for $9000. I am interested in buying it, let me know if it is still available.” this statement is an offer or not. I just hope u guys can give me some opinions. Thanks.
Reply 6
I know that TSR is not provided to help doing the homework , so I just want to ask the doubtful part I think in the question which is whether “I heard that you are selling your car for $9000. I am interested in buying it, let me know if it is still available.” this statement is an offer or not. I just hope u guys can give me some opinions. Thanks.

What do you think about it?
Reply 7
Original post by Mimir
What do you think about it?

i think it is not an offer as it is not definite enough but the setting of the question seems to want us regard it as an offer because of the sub-question(no.2).So, i am very confused that can i regard that statement as an offer?Hope to listen from you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
i think it is not an offer as it is not definite enough but the setting of the question seems to want us regard it as an offer because of the sub-question(no.2).So, i am very confused that can i regard that statement as an offer?Hope to listen from you.

Problem questions like this always lie in grey areas. Your job is to identify those grey areas - in other words - what are the issues. Next identify the law relevant to those issues. Now apply it to the facts and finally reach a conclusion. That conclusion will often be along the lines of (very simplified); "As discussed above arguments exist to support a conclusion of A,B or C. The strongest argument, however, as indicated by my analysis and evaluation of the authorities is that .....

So when you say "I think it is not an offer", I'll ask why not? How will you define an offer? Give me the case law on that. Now, does the statement made fulfill the terms of the definition? Maybe it does, maybe it does not. Show me your arguments for both - argue it from both sides - using authorities. What do you think, and why, is the strongest case?

Then move on through the rest of the question - if an offer what are the consequences of that? If not an offer what are the consequences for the remainder of the scenario? Was an offer made later in the correspondence? Etc.

Look very carefully at the specific wording of the question. Everything is in there for a reason - eg the two people are "friends" - does that make a difference?

Just argue the thing through.

Quick Reply

Latest