The Student Room Group

im paranoid i will get diabetes and high cholesterol

Hello, i'm a bit overweight and i sometimes i eat sugary foods but not that much and my great grandma has diabetes. And in my family my great grandma,grandma and my mom have problems with cholesterol but this is not really due to diet but the bad cholesterol that can get passed down in the family. Im starting to get paranoid especially about getting diabetes as i think i might be having some of the symptoms like fatigue, and needing to sleep more but for all i know i might be just paranoid. Anyone else scared about having diabetes or high cholesterol.
Have a talk with your GP about your concerns.

If you want to prevent the onset of diabetes, regular exercise, stopping smoking and eating a good diet eg low in fat and sugar will help.
If you notice symptoms such as fatigue, having to go to the toilet often or even really thirsty then definitely go to your GP
i have all three of these symptoms what does this mean
Original post by Mrs House
Have a talk with your GP about your concerns.

If you want to prevent the onset of diabetes, regular exercise, stopping smoking and eating a good diet eg low in fat and sugar will help.
If you notice symptoms such as fatigue, having to go to the toilet often or even really thirsty then definitely go to your GP
Reply 3
Words of comfort would be appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous
Words of comfort would be appreciated.

Sadly, you probably won't get that.

I can be 'nice' to you or I can be honest with you.

The cholesterol problems in your family may well be genetic and not weight related, but being overweight definitely won't help. I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings or make you feel bad. I'VE been overweight - it's horrible and I wouldn't go back to that again.

If you want to lessen your chances of getting diabetes I would change your food habits bit by bit. DON'T go cold turkey and stop having all your favourite foods or you'll just be miserable for another reason. I've finally hit my goal weight but I still have hot chocolate, pizza and crisps (my favourites).

I would go on to the NHS website and look up the symptoms for diabetes and cholesterol problems. If you feel like you have them then I'd see a GP and get something sorted out while you can. As fabulous as Ben and Jerry's is, I'd say it's not worth injections every day for the rest of your life and every other crappy thing that comes with diabetes/poor health.
Reply 5
Original post by ShannyMorrison
Sadly, you probably won't get that.

I can be 'nice' to you or I can be honest with you.

The cholesterol problems in your family may well be genetic and not weight related, but being overweight definitely won't help. I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings or make you feel bad. I'VE been overweight - it's horrible and I wouldn't go back to that again.

If you want to lessen your chances of getting diabetes I would change your food habits bit by bit. DON'T go cold turkey and stop having all your favourite foods or you'll just be miserable for another reason. I've finally hit my goal weight but I still have hot chocolate, pizza and crisps (my favourites).

I would go on to the NHS website and look up the symptoms for diabetes and cholesterol problems. If you feel like you have them then I'd see a GP and get something sorted out while you can. As fabulous as Ben and Jerry's is, I'd say it's not worth injections every day for the rest of your life and every other crappy thing that comes with diabetes/poor health.

But the thing is I dont eat crisps, or drink fizzy drinks only an occasional treat. i think i might have thyroid problems though.
But the thing is I dont eat crisps, or drink fizzy drinks only an occasional treat. i think i might have thyroid problems though.

Well, for me it was salty foods but everyone's different

The best advice I can give you is to wait for those results. Are you a male or a female? (this does actually matter, not being nosy)
Reply 7
Hello, i'm a bit overweight and i sometimes i eat sugary foods but not that much and my great grandma has diabetes. And in my family my great grandma,grandma and my mom have problems with cholesterol but this is not really due to diet but the bad cholesterol that can get passed down in the family. Im starting to get paranoid especially about getting diabetes as i think i might be having some of the symptoms like fatigue, and needing to sleep more but for all i know i might be just paranoid. Anyone else scared about having diabetes or high cholesterol.

Start exercising loads is my advice!

Quick Reply

Latest