The Student Room Group

Probability Question GCSE

Hi could someone explain to me how this answer is correct

Q2 If the probability of spinning red on a spinner is 1 3x, find the probability of spinning any colour except red.

answer = 3x but I don't understand how

thanks
The probability of 1 includes red and every other colour.
So if you do 1-Probability(Red), then the rest of the colours probability can be given.
1-(1-3x) =
1-1= 0
You have a "-" outside the bracket and inside the bracket. Two minuses make a plus. So --3x is 3x.
Therefore your answer is 3x
Hope I was clear enough, please ask more questions if I wasn't clear
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
The probability of 1 includes red and every other colour.
So if you do 1-Probability(Red), then the rest of the colours probability can be given.
1-(1-3x) =
1-1= 0
You have a "-" outside the bracket and inside the bracket. Two minuses make a plus. So --3x is 3x.
Therefore your answer is 3x
Hope I was clear enough, please ask more questions if I wasn't clear

Still a bit lost if you do 1-(1-3x) and that is the same as 1-1

so does that mean that 1-3x is equal to 1 ?
Original post by samaad1
Still a bit lost if you do 1-(1-3x) and that is the same as 1-1

so does that mean that 1-3x is equal to 1 ?

Ok so it's like this. When you do 1( which is the total probability of red and all colours) - probability of red, then you get the probability of the rest. You know red has a probability of 1-3x.
So take 1-3x from the total probability which is 1.
1- (1-3x)
1-1 is 0.
Since the 1 has been sorted out, you only have the --3x left which is 3x. You got to work on the bracket in steps

@Zacken will probably explain a lot better!!
Ok so it's like this. When you do 1( which is the total probability of red and all colours) - probability of red, then you get the probability of the rest. You know red has a probability of 1-3x.
So take 1-3x from the total probability which is 1.
1- (1-3x)
1-1 is 0.
Since the 1 has been sorted out, you only have the --3x left which is 3x. You got to work on the bracket in steps

still very confused of how can 1-3x be equal to 1
Reply 5
Original post by samaad1
Hi could someone explain to me how this answer is correct

Q2 If the probability of spinning red on a spinner is 1 3x, find the probability of spinning any colour except red.

answer = 3x but I don't understand how

thanks

Let's say the probability of getting a red is rr, then the probability of getting a blue is bb, green is gg, etc... do the same for every single colour. Now you know that you spinning the spinner means you must land on some colour. So the probability that you get a colour is 1. But that's the same as saying that the sum of the probabilites of getting red, green, blue, etc.. add up to 1.

So r+b+g+=1r + b + g + \cdots = 1. Now, for you not to get a red means that you must get a blue or green or yellow or whatvever. Which is the probability of getting one of every single colour minus the probability of getting a red.

So since the probability of getting any colour is 1, then you subtract the probability of getting a red to get the probability of not getting a red. This is 1r1 - r.

In your case, r=13xr = 1-3x so you do 1(13x)=11=03x=3x1 - (1-3x) = \underbrace{1 - 1}_{=0} -- 3x = 3x. We are not saying that 13x=11 - 3x = 1. We are saying that 1(13x)=3x1 - (1-3x) = 3x.
Original post by Zacken
Let's say the probability of getting a red is rr, then the probability of getting a blue is bb, green is gg, etc... do the same for every single colour. Now you know that you spinning the spinner means you must land on some colour. So the probability that you get a colour is 1. But that's the same as saying that the sum of the probabilites of getting red, green, blue, etc.. add up to 1.

So r+b+g+=1r + b + g + \cdots = 1. Now, for you not to get a red means that you must get a blue or green or yellow or whatvever. Which is the probability of getting one of every single colour minus the probability of getting a red.

So since the probability of getting any colour is 1, then you subtract the probability of getting a red to get the probability of not getting a red. This is 1r1 - r.

In your case, r=13xr = 1-3x so you do 1(13x)=11=03x=3x1 - (1-3x) = \underbrace{1 - 1}_{=0} -- 3x = 3x. We are not saying that 13x=11 - 3x = 1. We are saying that 1(13x)=3x1 - (1-3x) = 3x.

thank you I think I fully understand now
Reply 7

Original post by samaad1
thank you I think I fully understand now

No problem, give MezmorisedPotato his fair share of credit as well
Original post by Zacken
No problem, give MezmorisedPotato his fair share of credit as well

yup I repped him :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by samaad1
yup I repped him :smile:

Awesome :smile:
Reply 10
I understand the 1-(1-3x) but I dont understand how u get 1-1 --3x Coz where did the extra minus in front of the 3x come from
Original post by Ab_xna
I understand the 1-(1-3x) but I dont understand how u get 1-1 --3x Coz where did the extra minus in front of the 3x come from

five years ago....

Quick Reply

Latest