The Student Room Group

Stuck between two courses for university.

I am in the process of writing my personal statement for my university application and I can't decide whether or not I want to study diagnostic radiography or psychology, there are many pros and cons for both and my initial plan was to apply for both but whilst writing my personal statement I have found it very hard to link the two without it being clear that I am applying to two very different course. :smile:
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Original post by MeganJune1458
I am in the process of writing my personal statement for my university application and I can't decide whether or not I want to study diagnostic radiography or psychology, there are many pros and cons for both and my initial plan was to apply for both but whilst writing my personal statement I have found it very hard to link the two without it being clear that I am applying to two very different course. :smile:

I'm afraid that I'm going to answer your question with an annoying question. What do you want to do for a career and are you aware of how these two courses tie into that?

I'm not that familiar with radiography, but I imagine that following that course you would be qualified to work and would begin your career. Do you know what that entails and if you'd like to do that?

If you want to be a qualified Psychologist, then you will need to do postgraduate study and obtain a fair amount of experience first, it is not an easy route. Getting onto a Psychology BSc by no means ensures you will progress, in fact, until you complete that doctorate (or other PG programme) then it is not certain. Psychology covers a range of things, its a good idea to be fully aware of the ins and outs of the job before committing to it.

The problem is that those two courses and subsequent careers are so different. If you're genuinely stuck between the two, I suggest you go out and seek as much knowledge and experience of them as is feasible to help you make a choice.
Reply 2
i tossed a coin and it came up tails (psychology) so you can go against that but i wouldn't advise over-ruling the coin.
Reply 3
I think you should write two personal statements.
Original post by MeganJune1458

Well indeed.

To be honest with you, diagnostic radiography sounds better. Psychology is pretty much like other social science / humanities / liberal arts - it's best to do them at top universities (but even there there's underemployment). Depends on what grades you're going to apply with and what your predicted grades are gonna be (and many people ask there teachers to elevate the predictions for competition).

With diagnostic radiography you're basically more likely to get a career as an actual diagnostic radiographer. I've browsed some courses and the City University one seems quite good.

You can always do masters in whatever subject you like, for example Psychology, Law or Neuroscience, when you graduate with a good 2:1 or above and get the career as diagnostic radiographer and save money. The education system isn't going anywhere - it will always be accessible to you in the future :smile:

I'd go for diagnostic radiography.
Original post by salketo
I think you should write two personal statements.

You can only submit one for all 5 choices at undergrad.

Quick Reply

Latest