The Student Room Group

Newbie Coders Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 571122
You guys are doing Test-First Development? Man, that is an advanced practice and out of place for beginner programmers..

I would have to see all of your tests (all the code) to be able to judge it.

Plus seeing as i have been programming for only two weeks or less, i am still a beginner, just with good internetting skills! And good friends to help me out.

I will let you know my grade for these programs when i get the feedback on mondey/tuesday.
Original post by john2054
It's okay 57, i'm now scraping a 50% pass for this unit, and whilst i would have have liked for more, a pass, is a pass, is a pass, as they say!

You know, John, I used to think that until senior year. It goes like this:

- you passed, you know 50%-60% of the matter
- second year comes along, you know 20%-30% of the matter
- senior year comes along, you know 0%-10% of the matter
- graduation: whatever you passed you now forgot

That's the situation I'm in; I graduated and I forgot almost everything I studied for. Remember to keep it practical: passing is good. Keep passing until you get your degree, but don't forget to sharpen your skills once in a while.
Plus seeing as i have been programming for only two weeks or less, i am still a beginner, just with good internetting skills! And good friends to help me out.

I will let you know my grade for these programs when i get the feedback on mondey/tuesday.

Ok, but be aware that if you guys are doing Test-First development and none of your tests pass, that's the same as saying the program doesn't work.. and there is a high likelihood of 0 marks, if the professor is a Testing purist (which almost all of them are..).
I'll be expecting all the code of your tests on pastebin. Thanks.

See you around!
Original post by 571122
Ok, but be aware that if you guys are doing Test-First development and none of your tests pass, that's the same as saying the program doesn't work.. and there is a high likelihood of 0 marks, if the professor is a Testing purist (which almost all of them are..).

57, it appears to all work automatically. And whilst i tried the program out a week ago, it was failing on all points, now while i try it out it scores 7 out of 13, so just under 50%. Which whilst not ideal, is still a pass (or just under). And seeing as my other program scores are currently about 50% which is in itself half of the overall grade, and my other none coding criateria (quizes etc) are about 80%, i should be able to scrape the 50% overall.

I may be new to coding, but i know my way around software games and degrees, having got one, so i think i should be alright. I will let you know as i said already.
No surprise that JavaScript is harder than CSS/HTML, but the Codecademy tutorial I've started out with is really annoying me :hmpf: And it's hit my motivation to keep going. There's nothing that bugs me more when I'm trying to learn than not knowing why I'm doing the task I'm doing....
So for some reason, the Codecademy course gets me first to use "SomeWord".length in order to produce a number, and then write code based on that number, e.g. conditions and so forth. I understand all that, but why am I working out the number of characters in a word for every example? Is this used a lot normally? Why didn't it give me examples to explain why I'd want to do that. Using my own imagination it's hard to grasp why that would be such a common feature to use :confused:

:sigh:
Original post by Craghyrax
No surprise that JavaScript is harder than CSS/HTML, but the Codecademy tutorial I've started out with is really annoying me :hmpf: And it's hit my motivation to keep going. There's nothing that bugs me more when I'm trying to learn than not knowing why I'm doing the task I'm doing....
So for some reason, the Codecademy course gets me first to use "SomeWord".length in order to produce a number, and then write code based on that number, e.g. conditions and so forth. I understand all that, but why am I working out the number of characters in a word for every example? Is this used a lot normally? Why didn't it give me examples to explain why I'd want to do that. Using my own imagination it's hard to grasp why that would be such a common feature to use :confused:

I would assume it's just an example of how variables can be handled. Checking string length has various uses, too (I've had to use it several times in ProjectEuler), so it's not too far fetched, thus it makes sense that it would be used as an example. I would also say that JS is significantly harder than HTML/CSS, because it is an actual programming language as opposed to a markup language.

Data-driven apps use word manipulation a lot. For example, looking for all the words that have at least 5 letters in them, or between 1 and 3 letters. You could then build up a frequency table with accompanying graph, showing the distribution of most frequently typed words in the human language or in text messages. :smile:
Reply 228

In the real world youd likely use it for figuring out the number of items in an array.

For example if you fetched a list of customers from the web server. Those customers have likely been deserialised into an array on the javascript side.

You may then want to display each customers name but to do that you'd need to know how many customers are in the array. So for that we can use length property.

for(var i = 0; i<customers.length;i++)
//Add a <li> containing customer name
(edited 7 years ago)
More examples from the real world:
Form field validation: user fills out form (e.g. to subscribe to a forum) and the nickname field has to have a character length between 3 and 50 characters. We don't want mysterious empty names!
Reply 230
57, it appears to all work automatically. And whilst i tried the program out a week ago, it was failing on all points, now while i try it out it scores 7 out of 13, so just under 50%. Which whilst not ideal, is still a pass (or just under). And seeing as my other program scores are currently about 50% which is in itself half of the overall grade, and my other none coding criateria (quizes etc) are about 80%, i should be able to scrape the 50% overall.

I may be new to coding, but i know my way around software games and degrees, having got one, so i think i should be alright. I will let you know as i said already.

Aww come on you got to aim high 100%. Prof will want to see your running the tests and them failing, then how you modified it to make it pass. Then for the bonus you 'refactor' the code to improve it then re-run the tests to see that your code still works.

Don't worry about the refactor bit but at least make all the tests pass!
Always aim as high as you can at uni that way if you dont achieve it your still at 80% :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by INTit
Aww come on you got to aim high 100%. Prof will want to see your running the tests and them failing, then how you modified it to make it pass. Then for the bonus you 'refactor' the code to improve it then re-run the tests to see that your code still works.

Always aim as high as you can at uni that way if you dont achieve it your still at 80% :P

What the heck? Why are you telling me these basics all over? I've done TDD for my entire educational career, it's nothing new to me. This is like someone telling me how to read.

Maybe you meant this answer to be for John.
Original post by INTit

Original post by 571122
What the heck? Why are you telling me these basics all over? I've done TDD for my entire educational career, it's nothing new to me. This is like someone telling me how to read.

To be honest with you i am getting tired and frustrated with this course. They claimed to be able for complete beginners to do it, but i have been struggling, and without google and social media, tsr, i wouldn't stand a chance at all. This isn't an undergraduate degree i am doing in computer science, but just an online certificate, and whilst i am finding it interesting, and learning some thing or two about the thing, i am still struggling. And i don't know if i have it in me to complete the four or five module series, seeing as there is also a psychology certificate program i want to get my teeth in to as well. Not to mention the voluntary work i am looking at starting in the near future.

I got 60% for my degree, which was a 2.1 pass (b grade), and i was very happy with this. I started this computer science course, mainly because my dad wanted me to, but now he won't even read over my code, so to be honest with you i am left asking, is it worth it. I have an interview on tuesday morning, and my wedding anniversary meal tomorrow, so it's not as if i don't have stuff to be doing?!?
Reply 233
Original post by 571122

It was for john hence me quoting john.
To be honest with you i am getting tired and frustrated with this course. They claimed to be able for complete beginners to do it, but i have been struggling, and without google and social media, tsr, i wouldn't stand a chance at all. This isn't an undergraduate degree i am doing in computer science, but just an online certificate, and whilst i am finding it interesting, and learning some thing or two about the thing, i am still struggling. And i don't know if i have it in me to complete the four or five module series, seeing as there is also a psychology certificate program i want to get my teeth in to as well. Not to mention the voluntary work i am looking at starting in the near future.

I got 60% for my degree, which was a 2.1 pass (b grade), and i was very happy with this. I started this computer science course, mainly because my dad wanted me to, but now he won't even read over my code, so to be honest with you i am left asking, is it worth it. I have an interview on tuesday morning, and my wedding anniversary meal tomorrow, so it's not as if i don't have stuff to be doing?!?

If you already have a degree (in a popular field like Computer Science), then you have little to be worrying about.
If however, getting this computer programming certificate is life-changing and important, then go for it. The only thing you have to do is plan meticulously and follow your plan, don't deviate from it. Sit down, make a schedule and think about how you will spend your time between the things you have to do.

Work on the most important things in your life first. For example, for me, I dropped my social life so that I could get my Bachelors degree because it is critical for me to get a job out there, in this academically inflated world.
Take a look at what your highest priorities are and work on them.
From what I can see, your interview is the most important thing for now (unless I'm wrong).

Decide on your priorities and plan accordingly.
Original post by 571122
If you already have a degree (in a popular field like Computer Science), then you have little to be worrying about.
If however, getting this computer programming certificate is life-changing and important, then go for it. The only thing you have to do is plan meticulously and follow your plan, don't deviate from it. Sit down, make a schedule and think about how you will spend your time between the things you have to do.

Work on the most important things in your life first. For example, for me, I dropped my social life so that I could get my Bachelors degree because it is critical for me to get a job out there, in this academically inflated world.
Take a look at what your highest priorities are and work on them.
From what I can see, your interview is the most important thing for now (unless I'm wrong).

Decide on your priorities and plan accordingly.

My first priority is to save my marriage, which is going through a rough patch at the moment. After that starting some form of voluntary job, and then things like my future education, such as possibly doing another conversion psychology masters degree. I'm in a mess atm to be honest with you, because my wife is making my life hell, and all of her family and friends, and most of my family, are on her side. My life sucks atm!
Original post by 571122
Data-driven apps use word manipulation a lot. For example, looking for all the words that have at least 5 letters in them, or between 1 and 3 letters. You could then build up a frequency table with accompanying graph, showing the distribution of most frequently typed words in the human language or in text messages. :smile:

Original post by INTit
In the real world youd likely use it for figuring out the number of items in an array.

For example if you fetched a list of customers from the web server. Those customers have likely been deserialised into an array on the javascript side.

You may then want to display each customers name but to do that you'd need to know how many customers are in the array. So for that we can use length property.

for(var i = 0; i<customers.length;i++)
//Add a <li> containing customer name

Original post by 571122
More examples from the real world:
Form field validation: user fills out form (e.g. to subscribe to a forum) and the nickname field has to have a character length between 3 and 50 characters. We don't want mysterious empty names!

Thanks for these examples! Would it have been so hard for that course writer to mention a few? :sigh: Now I'll at least have some idea of different things I could try to do with .length. See, they haven't bothered to teach me any other kind of syntax yet. So I'm given the syntax for how to write if/else conditions, but so far no guidance as to how to put any variable types into these conditions other than "words".length. And then it tells me to think of my own :hmpf:

I just really don't like following instructions blindly. I need to know why I'm doing what I'm doing, otherwise it doesn't stick or stay memorable! :banghead:

Original post by _gcx
I would assume it's just an example of how variables can be handled. Checking string length has various uses, too (I've had to use it several times in ProjectEuler), so it's not too far fetched, thus it makes sense that it would be used as an example. I would also say that JS is significantly harder than HTML/CSS, because it is an actual programming language as opposed to a markup language.

That's why I said it was no surprise.
(edited 7 years ago)
My first priority is to save my marriage, which is going through a rough patch at the moment. After that starting some form of voluntary job, and then things like my future education, such as possibly doing another conversion psychology masters degree. I'm in a mess atm to be honest with you, because my wife is making my life hell, and all of her family and friends, and most of my family, are on her side. My life sucks atm!

Try not to let others mess you up. Rough times are a part of life though. Best of strength. Stay focused.

I just really don't like following instructions blindly. I need to know why I'm doing what I'm doing, otherwise it doesn't stick or stay memorable! :banghead:

I felt this way all throughout university. :smile:

If you want to get a true understanding of programming, I recommend watching this entire playlist:

[video="youtube;M1Sr0gPDrcI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Sr0gPDrcI&index=1&list=PLv-eQL7zVNdxfNVHmayusdXGRu0aJu5EQ[/video]

This is the best and mature programmer I've ever seen. This video series should answer most of your questions.
To watch the series in sequential order (important!), click on the 'Playlist (60)' text on the left bottom corner of that Youtube thumbnail. Here is the direct link again, just for good measure!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Sr0gPDrcI&list=PLv-eQL7zVNdxfNVHmayusdXGRu0aJu5EQ

JavaScript is in there too!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey thanks Five! :love: I've saved that in my Evernote Coding notebook, and will try to schedule that in. Much appreciated.

It must be quite difficult to teach technical subjects very well... I guess there are some who don't care for the logic and theory behind things and just want to get on with doing and playing, and there are others who need to know they 'why' behind every last thing (that's me)... It's probably impossible to find an approach that works for everybody.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending