The Student Room Group

A/A* OCR CHEMISTRY B SALTERS people, help please!

Please tell me how well you revised specifically. I really need help. What books did you use? Did you do the questions in the books, did you do all current and OLD spec past papers? did you do any questions other than textbook and past paper ones?

I really need specificity. THANKS!
Reply 1
Do all of the questions from the book and past papers. Also look at every mark scheme and examiners report.
Original post by alow
Do all of the questions from the book and past papers. Also look at every mark scheme and examiners report.

Thanks. How did you do in each unit? And what books did you use?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kira Yagami
Thanks. How did you do in each unit?

I did OCR A. Dropped a couple of UMS overall.
Original post by alow
I did OCR A. Dropped a couple of UMS overall.

Wow really like how?! How did you do that well? And did you do old spec papers?

How did you do in other subjects ?

Also what are you doing at uni and at what uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Wow really like how?! How did you do that well? And did you do old spec papers?

How did you do in other subjects ?

Also what are you doing at uni and at what uni?

I did every current and old spec paper. Went through every single mark scheme and examiners report.

A*s in 3, As in 2.

I study Chemistry at Cambridge.
Please tell me how well you revised specifically. I really need help. What books did you use? Did you do the questions in the books, did you do all current and OLD spec past papers? did you do any questions other than textbook and past paper ones?

I really need specificity. THANKS!

Just the text book and the Salters revision guide. Did all questions in all relevant topics in both books, read storylines and did questions in that. ALL available past papers, the more practise the better. Always read the mark schemes and examiners reports. Lost 11 UMS overall, 8 in AS, 3 in A2 (full marks both exams, UMS for A2 lost in coursework) but I took the A level in 2014, so things have changed.
Original post by alow
I did every current and old spec paper. Went through every single mark scheme and examiners report.

A*s in 3, As in 2.

WOW nice, in what subjects did you get these grades in and are you going in your first year at uni?

I study Chemistry at Cambridge.

Nice in what subjects ? And are you Starting uni this year?
Original post by mathematigeek
Just the text book and the Salters revision guide. Did all questions in all relevant topics in both books, read storylines and did questions in that. ALL available past papers, the more practise the better. Always read the mark schemes and examiners reports. Lost 11 UMS overall, 8 in AS, 3 in A2 (full marks both exams, UMS for A2 lost in coursework) but I took the A level in 2014, so things have changed.

Did you do old spec papers too? And what are you doing at uni and at what uni?

Do you have any exam tips please? Really need help as I'm retaking. Thanks.
Did you do old spec papers too? And what are you doing at uni and at what uni?

Do you have any exam tips please? Really need help as I'm retaking. Thanks.
I did, they were the most helpful to me. They really tested what I'd learnt, not just what i'd read in mark schemes. Im at Warwick doing maths. Keep calm, and read the question. They aren't trying to trick you out, they're trying to make you think, so if you think you've never seen anything like a question before, you're probably wrong, re-read it and find what they actually want through the jargon. Also, only answer the question they're asking. Good luck! You can DM me anytime!
Original post by mathematigeek
I did, they were the most helpful to me. They really tested what I'd learnt, not just what i'd read in mark schemes. Im at Warwick doing maths. Keep calm, and read the question. They aren't trying to trick you out, they're trying to make you think, so if you think you've never seen anything like a question before, you're probably wrong, re-read it and find what they actually want through the jargon. Also, only answer the question they're asking. Good luck! You can DM me anytime!

Thanks a lot mate. So just to clarify you did all the questions in the big thick black and white salters book right ( that's a lot of questions lol)
Thanks a lot mate. So just to clarify you did all the questions in the big thick black and white salters book right ( that's a lot of questions lol)

In the relevant sections! But yes, a lot of questions, but it paid off and really helped me learn!
Did you do past papers from other exam boards as well?
Original post by Faraha_Uddin
Did you do past papers from other exam boards as well?

I just did current and old spec from OCR A and B salters (which is my exam board).

I didn't do other exam board exams because they have different mark schemes but I did look at what the exams are like.

Quick Reply

Latest