The Student Room Group

Help me british national may have to pay international fees

ok so I'm going to get straight to the point. I have a UK passport, Uk citizenship and my parents have payed income tax in the UK for over 20 yerars. I moved to Canada after doing my gcses this year and i want to go back to England to do medicine. I was talking to a medicine admissions tutor and he said that i MAY have to pay international fees even though I have spent 16 years in the ****ing country let alone being born there. Who can I talk to about this because this isn't ****ing fair? The only reason i got 7A*s at gcse was because i thought i could apply back to the UK to do medicine but now i may not even be able to afford it. Someone help me because i need to know if i qualify as a home student. we pay income tax on our flat we rent out in england
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Earlofthegrey
ok so I'm going to get straight to the point. I have a UK passport, Uk citizenship and my parents have payed income tax in the UK for over 20 yerars. I moved to Canada after doing my gcses this year and i want to go back to England to do medicine. I was talking to a medicine admissions tutor and he said that i MAY have to pay international fees even though I have spent 16 years in the ****ing country let alone being born there. Who can I talk to about this because this isn't ****ing fair? The only reason i got 7A*s at gcse was because i thought i could apply back to the UK to do medicine but now i may not even be able to afford it. Someone help me because i need to know if i qualify as a home student. we pay income tax on our flat we rent out in england

You should phone the UKCISA advice line.*
*Call the advice line Our advice line is open from Monday to Friday, 1300 - 1600 hours (UK time). We answer about 8,000 calls annually, so our telephone advice line is very busy. This is why we ask you to try to find the information on our website first, or contact an adviser in your college or university. You may not get through when you first call but please keep trying and you will be able to speak to someone. Outside the UK: +44 20 7788 9214 Inside the UK: 020 7788 9214 Standard national/international call charges apply. Please note that we only give advice by telephone. We do not offer personal appointments or advice by email.
I ALREADY MADE A POST ON THIS BUT ONLY GOT ONE RESPONSE. I am a British citizen born in Lancashire who moved to Canada at the age of 16 after my GCSES which I did in the summer 2016. I was told by an admissions tutor yesterday that I will be charged as an international student for the following reasons: my parents move to Canada was permanent, they only pay income tax on one property and not full income tax on salary despite the fact they did for twenty years. I honestly feel like **** because I always wanted to come back home and now I can't even do that because the stupid laws they have put in place don't allow me to. Also, i've only been out the country for two years before i make my application so would that work in my favor.
If those are the rules I cant see what you can do tbh.
Reply 4
Same thing with me, it's how it works nothing you can do. In terms of uni fees being British means nothing to them it's all about the 3 year living requirement. If your parents move was temporary you'd be okay but from what I can gather it's not. You can still study in the U.K. just for a magical 25,000 a year instead of 9,000 😂
Reply 5
I was in a similar situation - Born in the UK but moved away and had to pay international fees. Not much you can do about it unfortunately.
Contact UCAS. Obviously.
I ALREADY MADE A POST ON THIS BUT ONLY GOT ONE RESPONSE. I am a British citizen born in Lancashire who moved to Canada at the age of 16 after my GCSES which I did in the summer 2016. I was told by an admissions tutor yesterday that I will be charged as an international student for the following reasons: my parents move to Canada was permanent, they only pay income tax on one property and not full income tax on salary despite the fact they did for twenty years. I honestly feel like **** because I always wanted to come back home and now I can't even do that because the stupid laws they have put in place don't allow me to. Also, i've only been out the country for two years before i make my application so would that work in my favor.

As others have said you should ring UKCISA advice line for advise, however given that the move to Canada was perminant it seems likely that you will be considered an International Student . This is because it is based on residency rather than nationality and always has been as far as I am aware. The fact that your parents use to live in the UK and that you have a British passport are not the criteria they use. It is not how long you have been out the country that matters (unless it was temporary) it is about where you lived in the years before your application and in this case that would be Canada

I appreciate that this must be very distressing for you but you are probably going to have to work with that reality. Have you looked into Canadian medical schools and their criteria maybe you should consider applying there.

sorry this is not what you want to hear.
Original post by watchingyouwatch
As others have said you should ring UKCISA advice line for advise, however given that the move to Canada was perminant it seems likely that you will be considered an International Student . This is because it is based on residency rather than nationality and always has been as far as I am aware. The fact that your parents use to live in the UK and that you have a British passport are not the criteria they use. It is not how long you have been out the country that matters (unless it was temporary) it is about where you lived in the years before your application and in this case that would be Canada

I appreciate that this must be very distressing for you but you are probably going to have to work with that reality. Have you looked into Canadian medical schools and their criteria maybe you should consider applying there.

sorry this is not what you want to hear.

yeah I'm basically ****ed oh well can't apply. Yeah I'll have to loom at Canada now which is annoying because the degree here takes like 8 years 😭😭
Reply 9
Why not move back to the uk and live with relatives for a year and then apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
You can regain your home status by living in the UK for three years.
I can't go back now. My parents won't let me which is an entirely different issue but yes I could theoretically wait 3 years and then Apply but that would be stupid. I'm going to call UKCESA tomorrow and see what they say but I think there is a policy I may fall under which grants me home fees. Tbh I think this is all so unfair
Reply 12
I can't go back now. My parents won't let me which is an entirely different issue but yes I could theoretically wait 3 years and then Apply but that would be stupid. I'm going to call UKCESA tomorrow and see what they say but I think there is a policy I may fall under which grants me home fees. Tbh I think this is all so unfair

From what I know, home status students must have the right to live in the UK, which you have as a result of your passport and citizenship, and have been ordinarily resident in the UK in the past three years, with the main reason not being full time education.
I think I qualify under this regulation if anyone would be kind enough to verify it for me. My grandparents are still in England but the last paragraph makes it very difficult. Are they saying that I can only get home fees if my grandparents have the right to live outside the UK?
Attachment not found
image.jpg
Also, I would just like to add that the second bullet point makes no sense. My grandparents are UK nationals and have right of permanent residency in the UK only
I dont, but post it on the SFE forum. If youd asked before you left we would have told you what the admissions person has said. Same rules then. and known to all. Not seeing wny its unfair. You need to be a UK resident for the 3 years preceding your course.

Link the bit you want looking at as the screenshot is a bit restrictive and id like to see it all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Also, I would just like to add that the second bullet point makes no sense. My grandparents are UK nationals and have right of permanent residency in the UK only

Which of these categories are you claiming to fall into?

Home fees.jpg
I think I qualify under this regulation if anyone would be kind enough to verify it for me. My grandparents are still in England but the last paragraph makes it very difficult. Are they saying that I can only get home fees if my grandparents have the right to live outside the UK?
Attachment not found
image.jpg

In order for you to be considered for this cat., you'd need your grandparents to live elsewhere in the EU for three years I think.

"and your relevant family member has been ordinarily resident in the EEA and/or Switzerland and/or the overseas territories for the three years before the 'first day of the first academic year of the course' that you are studying."

I'm assuming that it excludes the UK as part of the EEA though
This why you shouldn't move countries if you plan on coming back to study.

England is becoming more strict on this and immigration etc. Just have a look at the EU referendum.
(edited 7 years ago)

I dont think it applies to you as you arent a relevant family member nor will you have been
ordinarily resident in the EEA and/or Switzerland and/or the overseas territories for the three years before the 'first day of the first academic year of the course' that you are studying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending