The Student Room Group

Is Islamophobia a problem in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
That's all well and good, and what many people do.
But you are taking two simultaneously contradictory positions. Simply saying "by not over-complicating things" is meaningless. It's like saying "I can be a vegetarian who eats meat by not over-complicating things"!

"Using your free will" to decide that Allah is wrong about homosexuality is just fine, and I respect that decision. However, if, at the same time, you also say that Allah is perfect and makes no mistakes, then you are saying that he was right about homosexuality, and I cannot respect that.

Only if they deserve respect, and at the moment they do not deserve respect.

Then that is your decision. Of course some of the policies listed in the Qu'ran may SEEM outdated, I have to follow them as a follower of the religion. But my own personal leniency to how strictly I follow that is within my own choice.
Reply 101
Original post by AmirahxRashid
I am sorry to say this but u did not understand a single word i sed so please re read what i said. When i meant good muslims i meant muslims who follow the law of the country they live in and muslims who care for one another. Not all muslims are bad. And when i meant treat everyone with the same respect i meant that everyone around us not the criminals or the bad people. I meant everyone in general. So please do yourself a favour and read the comments properly before spitting out random nonsense. Read the damn comment before replying. And im also sorry to say this but you are quite rude.šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”
No, I understood what you wrote perfectly well. However, you may not have meant what you wrote, but that is not my problem.

So, a "good Muslim" follows the law of the country they are in?
But that applies to any "good citizen". Their religion is irrelevant. However, A Muslim also has a second set of rules he must follow and the law of any particular country does not make Allah wrong or right about any particular issue.
So, for example, a Muslim believes that it is acceptable to beat his wife as a punishment for disobedience (under certain conditions) because that is what Allah says in the Quran. Just because that is illegal in the UK, does that mean that Allah is wrong in the UK, or does the Muslim think that the UK's laws are wrong, despite feeling obliged to obey them?
Reply 102
Original post by theonecenter
Then that is your decision. Of course some of the policies listed in the Qu'ran may SEEM outdated, I have to follow them as a follower of the religion. But my own personal leniency to how strictly I follow that is within my own choice.
So, although you personally disagree with some elements of Islam, as a Muslim you feel obliged to follow them.

So, how does that work in practice? Islam condemns homosexuality as evil and prescribes death as a punishment. However, you say you think that Allah and Muhammad were wrong about it, but as a Muslim, you must agree with them?
That makes no sense. Either you agree or you disagree. Either you think they are right or they are wrong.
Whether or not you would personally get involved in the punishment or oppression of gays is irrelevant. You either condemn it or accept it.
Original post by QE2
No, I understood what you wrote perfectly well. However, you may not have meant what you wrote, but that is not my problem.

So, a "good Muslim" follows the law of the country they are in?
But that applies to any "good citizen". Their religion is irrelevant. However, A Muslim also has a second set of rules he must follow and the law of any particular country does not make Allah wrong or right about any particular issue.
So, for example, a Muslim believes that it is acceptable to beat his wife as a punishment for disobedience (under certain conditions) because that is what Allah says in the Quran. Just because that is illegal in the UK, does that mean that Allah is wrong in the UK, or does the Muslim think that the UK's laws are wrong, despite feeling obliged to obey them?

To be honest we believe that god is not wrong. And as far as beating women or beating anyone for that matter i am strictly against that. People who decide to beat their wife up are horrible, i dont agreee with it. But that doesnt mean the god or religion is wrong. Times and laws have changed so we have to adapt our religion to them. It is not only muslims that beat up their wives there are numerous other cases were wives have been beaten and they are not muslims.
I am really not going to bother to keep on argueing with you or explaining whilst wasting my time with you.šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜” My general message was just to be kind with one another thats all, nothing more nothing less. šŸ¤—šŸ¤—šŸ¤—And if you really need to find flaws with my comments carry on doing as you please cos i have said what i had to say and im not gonna waste any minute saying it again. GoodbyešŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜
Original post by QE2
So, although you personally disagree with some elements of Islam, as a Muslim you feel obliged to follow them.

So, how does that work in practice? Islam condemns homosexuality as evil and prescribes death as a punishment. However, you say you think that Allah and Muhammad were wrong about it, but as a Muslim, you must agree with them?
That makes no sense. Either you agree or you disagree. Either you think they are right or they are wrong.
Whether or not you would personally get involved in the punishment or oppression of gays is irrelevant. You either condemn it or accept it.

I don't exactly know what you are trying to achieve. If you are attempting to make me doubt my religion, or force a mindset on to me, I have no idea.
But do not tell me that you do not understand, because you comprehend it very well. My opening point to all of this was that I was called a terrorist based on my appearance in public.
If it doesn't make sense to you, my sincerest apologies that you cannot understand that. But as long as it makes sense to me, that's all that matters.
I will not waste hours on end, attempting to convince one person out of 7 billion people.
To be honest we believe that god is not wrong. And as far as beating women or beating anyone for that matter i am strictly against that. People who decide to beat their wife up are horrible, i dont agreee with it. But that doesnt mean the god or religion is wrong. Times and laws have changed so we have to adapt our religion to them. It is not only muslims that beat up their wives there are numerous other cases were wives have been beaten and they are not muslims.
I am really not going to bother to keep on argueing with you or explaining whilst wasting my time with you.šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜” My general message was just to be kind with one another thats all, nothing more nothing less. šŸ¤—šŸ¤—šŸ¤—And if you really need to find flaws with my comments carry on doing as you please cos i have said what i had to say and im not gonna waste any minute saying it again. GoodbyešŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

It's just pathetic. The fact that there are people who simply cannot respect how other's wish to live their life, so they go and find every possible flaw and point it out. Even if it is outweighed by pros.
It's just pathetic. The fact that there are people who simply cannot respect how other's wish to live their life, so they go and find every possible flaw and point it out. Even if it is outweighed by pros.

Yep u tottaly get where i am coming from unfortunately there are people like that and we cant do anything about it. So just ignore them and let them do itšŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜
Yep u tottaly get where i am coming from unfortunately there are people like that and we cant do anything about it. So just ignore them and let them do itšŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

I honestly cannot be bothered for this person anymore. I've wasted too much time on it, and if my opinion is not respected because somebody cannot find the decency to do that, I want nothing to do with you.
I honestly cannot be bothered for this person anymore. I've wasted too much time on it, and if my opinion is not respected because somebody cannot find the decency to do that, I want nothing to do with you.

I agree all he does is find flaws and i am not up for that. All i said was thatbeveryone deserves to be respected and then he went off on another tangent then i got confused lol šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜ šŸ˜ 
To be honest we believe that god is not wrong. And as far as beating women or beating anyone for that matter i am strictly against that. People who decide to beat their wife up are horrible, i dont agreee with it. But that doesnt mean the god or religion is wrong. Times and laws have changed so we have to adapt our religion to them.

I suppose the point QE2 is alluding to is that you can't have your cake and eat it, perhaps it is impossible to make that point without being blunt. If the Quran says it is justifiable to beat your wife up under some circumstances and that is 'the word of God' you can't deviate from it without negating the whole rest of it as such.

I don't know whether the Quran says that or not, just going by what you guys are saying.
I agree all he does is find flaws and i am not up for that. All i said was thatbeveryone deserves to be respected and then he went off on another tangent then i got confused lol šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜ šŸ˜ 

Guess we shouldn't be kind to each other according to himšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Original post by Dodgypirate
But dislike and genuine scepticism of Islam, as a faith, is fine when it's reasonable... Dislike of Muslims as a people is generally bigoted... you can't conflate Islam (the faith) and Muslims (the people) into the definition of "Islamophobia".

"Islamophobia" is a 21rst century buzzword to shut down any valid argument against a "protected" religion, hence why we don't have "Buddhaphobia", "Christianophobia", "Judophobia", etc...

Does Anti-semitism ring a bell???
Original post by cbreef
Does Anti-semitism ring a bell???

But does "Islamophobia" = anti-Semitism?

If so, why do we have a separate term for Muslims?
Original post by zhog
I suppose the point QE2 is alluding to is that you can't have your cake and eat it, perhaps it is impossible to make that point without being blunt. If the Quran says it is justifiable to beat your wife up under some circumstances and that is 'the word of God' you can't deviate from it without negating the whole rest of it as such.

I don't know whether the Quran says that or not, just going by what you guys are saying.

Thats fine im not sure either im not someone who reads the quran 24/7. And at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i respect that as i respect urs. QE2 was just doing ma head in thats all (aka giving me a headache)šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜†
Guess we shouldn't be kind to each other according to himšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Looool thats sooo true its like he is against people getting along eith each other which is horriblešŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Original post by Dodgypirate
But does "Islamophobia" = anti-Semitism?

If so, why do we have a separate term for Muslims?

Eh? :s-smilie: One is the hatred of Jews, the other Muslims. Why would you not have different words for them? Or did you not know what antisemitism was?
Original post by cbreef
Eh? :s-smilie: One is the hatred of Jews, the other Muslims. Why would you not have different words for them? Or did you not know what antisemitism was?

Wooops. Forget it lol :P
Well this thread took a completely different turn. I guess I'll have to save my sad sob stories for another time.
To be honest we believe that god is not wrong. And as far as beating women or beating anyone for that matter i am strictly against that.

When you take two contradictory positions (god says' it's OK to beat women but you disagree but still think god is right) your position is not worthy of respect. Derision and ridicule is all your opinion deserves.
Original post by thickleftard
Dislike/prejudice against Muslims comes under Islamophobia. Islamophobia is clearly a dislike against Islam OR Muslims. It collectivises the dislike of both entities.

How the individuals distinguish between genuine cases of bigotry and criticism of the ideology is the issue at hand here.

Quick Reply

Latest