The Student Room Group

Do these universities invite for an interview for Mechanical Engineering?

Hey I will be applying from Northern Ireland to do Mechanical Engineering to various universities and I am still deciding on the last couple to complete my application. Basically I am thinking of choosing 2 between Bristol, Bath and Southampton for Mechanical Engineering. My question is do all of them require an interview? because that would mean I have to travel to 5 different unis in total for interviews which would be pretty inconvenient but anyway I just want to know. Also, which would you consider to be the best for Mechanical Engineering (apart from what league tables would say)?

n.b. I will be applying to Cambridge and Imperial too so it would be nice if I could apply to other unis that didn't require an interview.

Thanks very much!
Reply 1
Original post by clfm10
Hey I will be applying from Northern Ireland to do Mechanical Engineering to various universities and I am still deciding on the last couple to complete my application. Basically I am thinking of choosing 2 between Bristol, Bath and Southampton for Mechanical Engineering. My question is do all of them require an interview? because that would mean I have to travel to 5 different unis in total for interviews which would be pretty inconvenient but anyway I just want to know. Also, which would you consider to be the best for Mechanical Engineering (apart from what league tables would say)?

n.b. I will be applying to Cambridge and Imperial too so it would be nice if I could apply to other unis that didn't require an interview.

Thanks very much!

Only Oxbridge and Imperial use interviews as a key part of Admissions. For other universities it's really more of a casual chat... indeed you might be able to avoid going at all if you explain your travel difficulties.

Either way, Bristol, Bath don't normally interview for MechEng. I don't think Soton does either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Only Oxbridge and Imperial use interviews as a key part of Admissions. For other universities it's really more of a casual chat... indeed you might be able to avoid going at all if you explain your travel difficulties.

Either way, Bristol, Bath don't normally interview for MechEng. I don't think Soton does either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much!
Hello. :smile:I was applying from China. My experience is there were no universities asking for interview except Oxbridge and Imperial.
Reply 4
Original post by T Jack Zhang
Hello. :smile:I was applying from China. My experience is there were no universities asking for interview except Oxbridge and Imperial.

It may be different for Internationals. But some other universities do indeed interview for MechEng; Loughborough for example. But as I said, they aren't "academic" or difficult interviews.
Original post by jneill
It may be different for Internationals. But some other universities do indeed interview for MechEng; Loughborough for example. But as I said, they aren't "academic" or difficult interviews.

Imperial interviews us via Skype, do the use Skype interviews UK-based students?or face-to-face?
Reply 6
Original post by T Jack Zhang
Imperial interviews us via Skype, do the use Skype interviews UK-based students?or face-to-face?

Only face-to-face.

And Cambridge is also only face-to-face (except VERY rarely for some internationals).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest