The Student Room Group

Can you get phd funding without a distinction in masters?

Undergrad degree 2:1.

I'm about to commence a masters, if I get a merit only, what are my chances of getting phd funding? (high hopes as you can tell :wink:)

In the UK.
The university in the UK is a strong one if it makes any difference.

Field: maths

Thank you.
Original post by xfootiecrazeesarax

Yes you can, in that there is no universal rule that you can't. However, it's a competition, and having anything less than the very best grades is one part of the competition you aren't winning.

It's impossible to say what your chances are - they are nil if you don't apply and very good if you have a superb research proposal, excellent references and a Supervisor who has the money and wants to take you on.
Reply 2
Very much depends on the field, amongst other factors. In mine, it takes a First/Distinction combo to even be long-listed. As threeportdrift says, it's still competitive in STEM subjects but there's more funding around.
Can someone who obtain distinction in Bsc go straight to PhD? Or does he still need to do Masters?
Original post by Engineer Chris
Can someone who obtain distinction in Bsc go straight to PhD? Or does he still need to do Masters?

It's certainly possible (one of my housemates has just started her PhD after Bsc) but keep in mind that you will be competing against people who do have a masters degree.
Can some pulse after the first year of his PhD and run for a masters program in other to gain more knowledge and idea to pursue his PhD?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending