The Student Room Group

First lecture tommorow, no notebooks currently

Im doing pure maths and I have a introductory lecture and I don't have any notebooks yet
What I was wondering was how many notebooks do I need and how should I organise it
It seems im doing 4 proper modules and matlab(idk what that is)
Should I get a notebook for each module?
Reply 1
Depends if you're commuting or not.

I commute so I stick to one pukka pad A4 with dividers to separate my modules. I usually print out my lecture slides before lectures and take notes in my notepad. I annotate my lecture slides after the lectures finished in fear of running out of time. I also want to make them look fairly neat.

Considering you're doing maths, you'll definitely need a notepad to write down examples etc. Perhaps squared paper notepad?

I don't do the folders or binders etc because it's unnecessary weight for me to carry. I just put my lecture slides in polly pockets so they don't get creased and take my pencil case.
Reply 2
Original post by Ishax
Depends if you're commuting or not.

I commute so I stick to one pukka pad A4 with dividers to separate my modules. I usually print out my lecture slides before lectures and take notes in my notepad. I annotate my lecture slides after the lectures finished in fear of running out of time. I also want to make them look fairly neat.

Considering you're doing maths, you'll definitely need a notepad to write down examples etc. Perhaps squared paper notepad?

I don't do the folders or binders etc because it's unnecessary weight for me to carry. I just put my lecture slides in polly pockets so they don't get creased and take my pencil case.

Its a 30 min commute in bus so not very long
So should I buy one oxford book with 200 pages?
Reply 3
Original post by I am a Lie
Its a 30 min commute in bus so not very long
So should I buy one oxford book with 200 pages?

Buy any brand notepad you like, but I'd recommend A4. Have you brought your stationery?
Reply 4
Original post by Ishax
Buy any brand notepad you like, but I'd recommend A4. Have you brought your stationery?

Thats the only notebook with dividers and a ring in whsmith

Yes ive loads of pens and mechanical penicls but no ruler or calculator(they said we'll be supplied wiht one)
Ehats wrong with an A4 pad and soem folders. You can transfer the work to folders later in the day. It will have a uni shop, with cheap stationery, open from early, so no need to panic.
Reply 6
Thats the only notebook with dividers and a ring in whsmith

Yes ive loads of pens and mechanical penicls but no ruler or calculator(they said we'll be supplied wiht one)

That's fine then, I was just saying because you may need specific equipment considering you do maths lol!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Ehats wrong with an A4 pad and soem folders. You can transfer the work to folders later in the day. It will have a uni shop, with cheap stationery, open from early, so no need to panic.

I don't like folders because of the weight. I will have to carry folders to and back from university. I prefer having a notepad and just printing out lecture slides then putting them in polly pockets. What if I need something from the previous weeks etc? I can just take my polly pocket with everything in it. I also want to keep my lecture notes separate to lecture slides, so I use a notepad to taken lecture notes.

It's just easier and more convenient for me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ishax
I don't like folders because of the weight. I will have to carry folders to and back from university. I prefer having a notepad and just printing out lecture slides then putting them in polly pockets. What if I need something from the previous weeks etc? I can just take my polly pocket with everything in it. I also want to keep my lecture notes separate to lecture slides, so I use a notepad to taken lecture notes.

It's just less heavy and more convenient for me.

Id just take the pad of paper and some of those docyment folders. hardly any weight. They cna be transferred to dingbinder when he gets home. Polypocket fine. I find it a bit mystifying how ant student can have difficulty about having a pen and some paper to write on. As its maths, then maybe your calculator , ruler and a pencil. Bit basic isnt it?
Reply 9
Id just take the pad of paper and some of those docyment folders. hardly any weight. They cna be transferred to dingbinder when he gets home. Polypocket fine. I find it a bit mystifying how ant student can have difficulty about having a pen and some paper to write on. As its maths, then maybe your calculator , ruler and a pencil. Bit basic isnt it?

Oh, I don't do Maths. I study Computing.

I just don't have the need for folders as everything is online.
Original post by Ishax
Oh, I don't do Maths. I study Computing.

I just don't have the need for folders as everything is online.

Wasnt this thread about the OPs requirements?
Reply 11
Wasnt this thread about the OPs requirements?

What's wrong with trying to be organised
I did what you're saying for a levels and it got a bit hectic at times
What's wrong with trying to be organised
I did what you're saying for a levels and it got a bit hectic at times

Be as organised as you like. All you need is pen and paper, maybe a pencil ruler and calculator. If you wnat to work from notebooks, then work from notebooks. I really cnat see its a big deal plus you can adjust according to your own tastes after a few lectures. Its just stationery.
Im doing pure maths and I have a introductory lecture and I don't have any notebooks yet
What I was wondering was how many notebooks do I need and how should I organise it
It seems im doing 4 proper modules and matlab(idk what that is)
Should I get a notebook for each module?

Hello :smile:,

Just look at how you've studied in the past? Have you bought notebooks for every module or just used one and gone from there? I wouldn't suggest buying four as that's a lot to carry around - if you're commuting or not. I'd say buy one and take notes in that and then type them up at a later date and store them in different files.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending