The Student Room Group

AS Maths Question help- minimum point and Geometrical transformation

Please can someone help with this question, kind of understand it but don't feel confident..

A) x^2 - 7x + 2 in the form (x-p)^2

I did (x - 7/2)^2 - 41/4

B) Hence write down the minimum value of x^2 - 7x + 2
Is this just -41/4? I'm not sure

C) Describe the geometrical transformation which maps the graph of x^2 - 7x + 2 onto y= (x-4)^2

I really don't understand this one, please help! Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by jazz_xox_
Please can someone help with this question, kind of understand it but don't feel confident..

A) x^2 - 7x + 2 in the form (x-p)^2

I did (x - 7/2)^2 - 41/4

B) Hence write down the minimum value of x^2 - 7x + 2
Is this just -41/4? I'm not sure

Perfect. I assume the question was to write it in the form (x-p)^2 + q though.

C) Describe the geometrical transformation which maps the graph of x^2 - 7x + 2 onto y= (x-4)^2

I really don't understand this one, please help! Thank you :smile:

You have f(x)=(x7/2)241/4f(x) = (x-7/2)^2 - 41/4. Then f(x+a)+b=(x+a7/2)241/4+bf(x + a) + b = (x+a - 7/2)^2 - 41/4 + b. So what a,ba,b do you need to turn f(x) into (x-4)^2?
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Perfect. I assume the question was to write it in the form (x-p)^2 + q though.
You have f(x)=(x7/2)241/4f(x) = (x-7/2)^2 - 41/4. Then f(x+a)+b=(x+a7/2)241/4+bf(x + a) + b = (x+a - 7/2)^2 - 41/4 + b. So what a,ba,b do you need to turn f(x) into (x-4)^2?

Yes that was the part A of the question :colondollar: I get that it needs to be a translation (I think?) but still don't understand the formatting of it. This has never been my strong point :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Yes that was the part A of the question :colondollar: I get that it needs to be a translation (I think?) but still don't understand the formatting of it. This has never been my strong point :s-smilie:

So, you need to do a horizontal translation to turn the x-7/2 into a x-4 that's f(x+a) and a vertical transalation to turn the -41/4 to a -0 (that's f(x) + b)

Like I referred to in my previous post, what values for a and b do you need to choose for that to happen?
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
So, you need to do a horizontal translation to turn the x-7/2 into a x-4 that's f(x+a) and a vertical transalation to turn the -41/4 to a -0 (that's f(x) + b)

Like I referred to in my previous post, what values for a and b do you need to choose for that to happen?

Is it A= 1/2 and B +41/4?? Sorry if I'm completely off and thanks for your help!! :smile:
Reply 5
Is it A= 1/2 and B +41/4?? Sorry if I'm completely off and thanks for your help!! :smile:

Perfect! So that corresponds to a horizontal translation to the [what direction? Right or left?] by [how many?] units and a vertical translation in [what direction? up or down?] by [how many?] units.

Reminder: f(x+a) is a horizontal transaltion to the left by a units and f(x) + b is a vertical translation upwards by b units.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Perfect! So that corresponds to a horizontal translation to the [what direction? Right or left?] by [how many?] units and a vertical translation in [what direction? up or down?] by [how many?] units.

Reminder: f(x+a) is a horizontal transaltion to the left by a units and f(x) + b is a vertical translation upwards by b units.

Yay thank you soo much! :biggrin: A horizontal translation to the right by 1/2 units and a vertical translation up by 41/4 units? Thanks again, you are a life saver :smile:
Reply 7
Yay thank you soo much! :biggrin: A horizontal translation to the right by 1/2 units and a vertical translation up by 41/4 units? Thanks again, you are a life saver :smile:

Perfect. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Perfect. :smile:

Yay! I've just seen on your page that you are studying at Cambridge, wow -congratulations! Wishing you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 9
Yay! I've just seen on your page that you are studying at Cambridge, wow -congratulations! Wishing you the best of luck :smile:

Thank you very much. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Thank you very much. :smile:

You're going to be told something similar about once a week for the rest of your life.

Quick Reply

Latest