The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ApplyYourself
That's I bet you can't wait for that!!
Did you have any experience prior to starting your degree?

Yeah I'm looking forward to it! Students from year above told me it was amazing!

I had other work experience (e.g. hospital work exp in a lab) but had no work experience related to optometry specifically. I actually wanted to do neuroscience at first.

Back when I applied, there was less competition for places, but this has shown to be increasing quite a lot. So I think getting work experience specifically for optometry for you guys is essential, in order to stand out and show that you have a real passion for optometry, and that you know what you're getting yourself into.
Reply 41
Original post by mrnazz00923
Hey man how much of a level content comes up in optometry? Or is it totally from scratch?
I mean do they expect you to remember stuff from AS ?
Posted from TSR Mobile

A level Maths: They'll teach you all the maths you need to know. If you did maths at A2 and are comfortable with it, you'll be on a fast-track module for it, which lasts one semester rather than 2.

A level Biology: Lots of more detail building up from what you learnt, especially on neurones, kidneys, various body systems and other general biology bits and bobs. No assumed knowledge required but would be useful if you did have some.

A level physics: don't need anything. Might be useful to know a bit about optics, but everything gets taught fresh.

A level chemistry: not much at all. there's a bit on water molecules and how hydrogen bonds interact in one lecture somewhere lol, but that's as far as it goes in terms of chemistry.

You won't be expected to 'know' anything when you start, so don't worry. First year is all about building that foundation knowledge, so that you're all on the same level for second/third year.
Original post by TSR4LYF
A level Maths: They'll teach you all the maths you need to know. If you did maths at A2 and are comfortable with it, you'll be on a fast-track module for it, which lasts one semester rather than 2.

A level Biology: Lots of more detail building up from what you learnt, especially on neurones, kidneys, various body systems and other general biology bits and bobs. No assumed knowledge required but would be useful if you did have some.

A level physics: don't need anything. Might be useful to know a bit about optics, but everything gets taught fresh.

A level chemistry: not much at all. there's a bit on water molecules and how hydrogen bonds interact in one lecture somewhere lol, but that's as far as it goes in terms of chemistry.

You won't be expected to 'know' anything when you start, so don't worry. First year is all about building that foundation knowledge, so that you're all on the same level for second/third year.

I haven't taken either biology or chemistry, I do maths, physics, geography and music. Do you think I'd be alright?
Original post by emma.davey
I haven't taken either biology or chemistry, I do maths, physics, geography and music. Do you think I'd be alright?

i strongly suggest you call up the university admissions and ask them. From what i recall, biology is a must. But im not too sure since you have maths and physics which is classified as "2 sciences". Good luck!
Reply 44
Original post by emma.davey

The requirements are two sciences (at A2) which you have so it should be ok. I know a guy on my course who got in and he took maths, further maths and physics. But as the person above me said, it's best to check uni admissions.
Original post by a.h123
Well I tried and ultimately failed to get into optometry this year. Im thinking about now doing an access course and apply in 2017 (again) :colonhash:

Do Unis that offer Optometry accept access courses? If so, what access course will you be doing?
How hard is it to get a job after graduating!
Reply 47
Original post by Fireplace123
How hard is it to get a job after graduating!

Nearly impossible to not get one! After graduating you'll be doing a pre-ref year where you work as a trainee. Practices will often give you a contract. I know Manchester has a 100% employment rate within 6 month of graduating (Unistats)
Original post by TSR4LYF
Nearly impossible to not get one! After graduating you'll be doing a pre-ref year where you work as a trainee. Practices will often give you a contract. I know Manchester has a 100% employment rate within 6 month of graduating (Unistats)

Ah phew! Thanks!
What is the salary like and is working at say somewhere like specsaves as jve heard you're pushed to sell glasses so jts more about how much you've sold
30-36k starting salary

Ah phew! Thanks!
What is the salary like and is working at say somewhere like specsaves as jve heard you're pushed to sell glasses so jts more about how much you've sold
(edited 7 years ago)
Community or hospital? Which one are you guys gonna do Hospital makes more money i think.
Original post by alevelstudent217
30-36k starting salary. Check our trisha60 on youtube, you might find her useful. Good luck!

No way?

I swear starting salary is around 18-20k?!
Cant be as high as you are mentioning!!
No way?

I swear starting salary is around 18-20k?!
Cant be as high as you are mentioning!!

18-20k for pre reg year maybe.

Remember once you've completed pre-reg and can practise you'll be able to earn 200-300 a day as a locum optometrist, the big companies know this and so have to offer competitive salaries, if they don't they'll end up paying even more to locums for cover.
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
Community or hospital? Which one are you guys gonna do Hospital makes more money i think.

In the long run you'll prob be able to make a higher salary in hospital (unless you open your own practice). Hospital definitely seems more interesting though as you'd be working closer with ophthalmologists and would get to work more varied cases.
I'm applying for Optometry this year whilst on my gap year after doing lots of vet med work exp (actually being offered a place) and deciding it wasn't for me. I'm a bit worried I haven't been able to get any optom work exp as all the places I've contacted say they don't do it, but I have been able to talk to the Optometrists there about their jobs a bit.

I got ABB in Biology, Chemistry and Geography respectively at A2 but the exam board lost one of my A2 geog papers (got A's in 3 modules then they gave me a C in the one they lost) so also a bit worried about grades. I'm applying to Manchester, Anglia Ruskin, City and Cardiff, although I doubt I'll get an offer from Cardiff wanting AAA. Good luck to everyone!
In 2016 I got 3 offers 2 interviews by making work exp for optom up, so if you cba, theres no point as long as you know its for you, didnt bother going to the interviews as I had a career change in the end
Has anyone sent off their personal statement and heard anything from the unis!?
Finding it really hard to start my personal statement for optometry! Any tips anyone pleassee!!!
Original post by ammaarah01
Has anyone sent off their personal statement and heard anything from the unis!?

Isn't it kind of early ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
+ TSR4LYF Hey i got BDD is AS and am hoping to have predicred grades ABB do you think this will be alright for applying to manchester uni?

Latest