The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxblue
Hi All,

For those who've already sent off/working on the Jones day app, did you start off the cover letter as Dear Diana.... Or did you just dive straight into your answer (bearing in mind you have a 300 word limit)

Thanks in advance

I wrote 'Dear Ms. Diana Spoudeas' - they do say where to address it, so you should in my opinion.
Original post by kaybone93
DLA PIPER, Squires, AG, KWM, Nabarro, Kennedys

Which one did you get your TC in? Those are still huge firms I would say.
When is everyone going to start their applications for vacation schemes?
Reply 143
Original post by MimiUNI
When is everyone going to start their applications for vacation schemes?

Probably a day before the deadlines.
Reply 144
Hi all.

Im just wondering if you get offered the chance to apply for a training contract at the end of a vac scheme and say no (for example you may not be sure commercial law is right for you, want to look at other options etc) would this put you at a disadvantage if you then decided to apply for a training contract at that firm in say the following year?
Original post by rend82
Hi all.

Im just wondering if you get offered the chance to apply for a training contract at the end of a vac scheme and say no (for example you may not be sure commercial law is right for you, want to look at other options etc) would this put you at a disadvantage if you then decided to apply for a training contract at that firm in say the following year?

In my view potentially.

Your best bet would be to call grad rec and have a conversation with them about it. You were obviously good if you got on the vac scheme in the first place. The only things that will hold you back is

A. If they didn't like you on the scheme, then you will unlikely get a TC.

B. They may question your commitment to law and so may just reject your application.

You will need to make sure you can convince them that commercial law is truly for you and particularly that firm even more than you did before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi All,
I applied to Jones Day on 10th September and I still haven't heard from them. I see that there are some people on this thread who already have a response and even interviews. Is there anyone who hasn't heard from them?
Original post by legaleagle121
Hi All,
I applied to Jones Day on 10th September and I still haven't heard from them. I see that there are some people on this thread who already have a response and even interviews. Is there anyone who hasn't heard from them?

Chill - it's barely been a couple of weeks.

Last year I applied mid September and didn't hear till mid/late October. Less than a month is not much time at all.

A friend of mine who also applied to Jd last year had their app processed in around a week, so it really does vary and you just have to be patient!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview with Jones Day! Any tips?
Original post by hodgey111

Their interview is very much a conversation trying to get to you know better.

Read up on your commercial awareness before it, go back over your original application and apart from that there's not a lot more you can do.

They like to throw slightly random questions at you e.g I had one last year asking me if I were prime minister for the day what would I do... so that they can see how you deal with things you haven't prepared for.

It was probably my favourite interview so just try to stay calm and it'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ashurst pfo, first one of the season I am guessing on this thread? good firm but I'm not too put out, they did seem to be one of the more stringent firms. hopefully they manage to sort themselves out and stem the partner exits. anyone else heard anything from ashurst/jones day/BLP etc?
Reply 151
Original post by hodgey111

Hey. When did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grisham
Hey. When did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Early September a few days after applications opened.
Original post by iano101
Their interview is very much a conversation trying to get to you know better.

Read up on your commercial awareness before it, go back over your original application and apart from that there's not a lot more you can do.

They like to throw slightly random questions at you e.g I had one last year asking me if I were prime minister for the day what would I do... so that they can see how you deal with things you haven't prepared for.

It was probably my favourite interview so just try to stay calm and it'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok will do. Thanks for the advice. What do you mean read up on your commercial awareness?
Hi guys,

With regards to the generic "what recent news story has interested you and how might it affect the firm?" question is there any specific structure or type of news story that would be desired?

For instance would it have to include a client? a press release which names them? - sorry if it seems a silly question but I never know whether to go extremely specific or keep it quite broad and use topics or articles like Brexit
Thanks!
I often get very into these type of questions and find that the original article which I was basing the answer on will lead me to investigate it further and further and so on. With this in mind do you think I should just use one article or a pool of articles? perhaps mentioning that my interest caused me to delve deeper to which I then read...
Reply 156
Hi, had a general question I was hoping someone might be able to answer, apologies if it sounds ridiculous. When everyone says 'apply as early as possible', how early is the 'cut off' ? Suppose I mean an application with an early October opening that closes in Jan, would applying the first week of November be unwise?
Reply 157
Original post by J-SP
Yes, November will be fine.

Try to apply in the first two thirds of the application window. You'll probably be ahead of around two thirds of the total applicants then.

People stress applying early but there is a risk you apply too early. Some people who are not really fully clued up about how to approach applications let themselves down by applying too early with a poor application form, that might have been stronger if they had waited until they found out more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Was also hoping you might have some advice on including a legal work experience on an application that I won't have actually been to yet. So in the middle of novemember I have a great in-house placement that is actually with one of the clients of my top firm, but I am unsure whether I can use this in my application. If I were to do so I would obviously include what I aim to gain from it and why I think it is important for my legal development, commitment to law etc. This placement also shows a commitment to real estate which is this firms key practice area, and allows me to demonstrate my knowledge in such. I am a non law student so I feel as though any last work experience, especially legal, is crucial to have.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 158
Original post by J-SP
Vast majority of people leave it until term ends in December and apply sometime from then onwards. I've known firms to get over 50% of their applications in the last few days.

Applying early gives you greater opportunity (in that if you are short listed you get first choice of interview dates/scheme dates etc), but it isn't vital to apply ASAP, just being ahead of the majority of other applicants.

Sorry edited my post after you replied to this with another question above, was hoping you might have any advice on the matter.

New to the student room so not very good at knowing where to reply yet, apologies!
Wasn't shortlisted for Ashurst unfortunately, was probably setting my sights too high I guess but must push on. Looks like they are starting to sort through applications nonetheless.

Have an open day next Friday to look forward to [or dread].

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest