The Student Room Group

A level sociology

Anyone doing about parsons and about family I'm struggling
Reply 1
Hello there! I am currently studying A-Leevel sociology, including the 'Families and Households' section and studied it for GCSE, I am pretty good at it! Need any help, just ask!
Reply 3
Original post by nato490
Hello there! I am currently studying A-Leevel sociology, including the 'Families and Households' section and studied it for GCSE, I am pretty good at it! Need any help, just ask!

hi im doing aqa families and households section too. I was just wondering do you know how to structure a good 20 marker and what you're supposed to mention within each paragraph of the essay. sorry its just i've got mock exams coming up on this topic and have had substitute teachers a lot lately so I would really appreciate your help :smile:
Original post by Taahira_
hi im doing aqa families and households section too. I was just wondering do you know how to structure a good 20 marker and what you're supposed to mention within each paragraph of the essay. sorry its just i've got mock exams coming up on this topic and have had substitute teachers a lot lately so I would really appreciate your help :smile:

- Reference the item at least three times. You don't have to quote it, just use phrases such as "The item suggests", "As hinted at by the item" etc.

The key requirement of 20-mark questions is evaluation. So every time you explain an argument or theory you need to provide a critique of it - the pros and cons of it. It may be through supporting evidence found in studies. It may be through positive and negative statements other theories would say about it. But you need to show in some way that you've thought about how accurate the argument may be. If you explain what a theory or sociologist says without evaluating and testing the strength of their claim you won't be able to get a high mark, regardless of how well you explain their theory.

Link your conclusion back to the question. So if your question asked you to evaluate the contribution of Functionalist theories to our understanding of the family, your conclusion is where you state your personal viewpoint on how accurate and useful Functionalist theories are. But don't make it sound too much like your personal viewpoint! Although it it, avoid saying "I think" or "My conclusion is". Say "One thinks" or "On reflection one's view is".

I hope this was some help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending