The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ox2018
"I mean practice doing the one on talent Q's website and a few other is not enough." - What sort of preparation would you recommend then?

I would suggest at least 15 practice tests on sites like assessment day to increase your ability to identify information and to make quick calulations. I would also say that you would need to be consistently getting in the 90th percentile on those practice tests to be ready. People think you can do like a few and be ok, but you would have to be extremely good at maths to be able to get away with that. For most people I would also suggest only using the talent q practice test as a way to see what the layout of the questions would be. Do not expect the difficulty level to be the same as that test as it does not adapt to how many you get right.

And even after all that you could end up failing because this test can be a *****, especially if it's your first time taking it; so don't be disheartened if that's the case. But give yourselves the best chance to pass by ensuring you get a lot of practice in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Turing
Yeah this is very true. I did about 8 practice tests and got in the top 20% on all of them, but just completely flunked the real thing.. Does anybody have any idea what the pass boundary is? I think I've got 5 or 6 max.

Mate it depends on how many you got right in a row, for example if you followed a pattern of 1 right and 1 wrong then it could be right on the limit of passing, but if you got like 3 right in a row and then started to get some wrong you may end up passing with a 6-7 out of 12 as the difficulty of your questions would have been on a much higher level. No one actually knows the pass rate. Just for reference, I did the same test last year for McKinsey and got like 6 in a row right, then probably the next 5 wrong and then the last one right; I ended up passing this test.
Doing my Nomura test, clicked on next question half way through and the screen went blank and says IBM. Any ideas what I should do?

I've now got error code 00003, wonderful

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone done BNP's tests? wtf is Cut-E? Can't these Frenchies do anything in the normal way?
Original post by panda12
I would suggest at least 15 practice tests on sites like assessment day to increase your ability to identify information and to make quick calulations. I would also say that you would need to be consistently getting in the 90th percentile on those practice tests to be ready. People think you can do like a few and be ok, but you would have to be extremely good at maths to be able to get away with that. For most people I would also suggest only using the talent q practice test as a way to see what the layout of the questions would be. Do not expect the difficulty level to be the same as that test as it does not adapt to how many you get right.

And even after all that you could end up failing because this test can be a *****, especially if it's your first time taking it; so don't be disheartened if that's the case. But give yourselves the best chance to pass by ensuring you get a lot of practice in.

Yeah fair enough, Im hoping for the best. I do study maths at Oxford so it would be a bit embarrassing if I failed it.. I will do what you suggested thank you very much for the help! :smile:
Reply 3265
Original post by Commercial Paper
Doing my Nomura test, clicked on next question half way through and the screen went blank and says IBM. Any ideas what I should do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just email them, I'm sure it's logged on their system and they can reset the test. At least you've had some real time practice :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it too late to apply to Nomura given they've already hit first round (for Global Markets) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dasu95
Is it too late to apply to Nomura given they've already hit first round (for Global Markets) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah it's September you be alright
Do you know straight after if you failed Citi's test?
Original post by Kate992
Do you know straight after if you failed Citi's test?

nope, could be a couple of days after
what is deadline to do BNPP tests after submission?
Original post by dasu95

Posted from TSR Mobile

just apply mate, nobody really knows
Original post by alexjones1994
Anyone done BNP's tests? wtf is Cut-E? Can't these Frenchies do anything in the normal way?

there are awkward number of questions to answer during very short time, sth like 40+q for 12m
The problem with the Citi test...

The answers should be a simple click away....not a scroll down to find the answer.

Seriously silly test.

Citi -Just stick with SHL like the rest of 'em !
FYI, just done HSBC phone interview. Very basic competencies and motivation. Interview last around 15mins. They sent me an email 30mins after that I met the minimum requirements, and wait for further reviews.
Barclays phone interview
Original post by prettyIBer?
FYI, just done HSBC phone interview. Very basic competencies and motivation. Interview last around 15mins. They sent me an email 30mins after that I met the minimum requirements, and wait for further reviews.

Original post by JimbobJam
Barclays phone interview

congrats to both of you, which divisions btw? and when did you apply?
Original post by Breakingbank
congrats to both of you, which divisions btw? and when did you apply?

For those of you that passed the Citi test how long did you have to wait before finding out?
Original post by Ox2018
For those of you that passed the Citi test how long did you have to wait before finding out?

Have you done it ? How you think you did?
Original post by Commercial Paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

What happened after this ?

Same thing happened to me, emailed them. They havent responded, but then I received an automated rejection!

Do you have a contact at Nomura ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending