The Student Room Group

Missed my first lecture

Okay due to room swaps and me being absolutely clueless with directions, I'm here in my flat having missed my first official lecture. Can I rebound from this or is it difficult to do so?
Reply 1
it goes on your permenant record and its the first thing that will be mentioned in every job interview
Original post by iThrow
it goes on your permenant record and its the first thing that will be mentioned in every job interview

*permanent.

Okay coolio.
Original post by DraculaMihawk
Okay due to room swaps and me being absolutely clueless with directions, I'm here in my flat having missed my first official lecture. Can I rebound from this or is it difficult to do so?

Completely, it won't be a problem, just take yourself through the lecture reading list and find out from your course mates at your next lecture what it is that you missed :h:

What are you studying?
Reply 4
*permanent.

Okay coolio.

if only your ability to find a lecture room in a small, finite area was as good as your spelling. :wink:
Original post by She-Ra
Completely, it won't be a problem, just take yourself through the lecture reading list and find out from your course mates at your next lecture what it is that you missed :h:

What are you studying?

Thank you, they record the lectures so I think it's online somewhere. I guess I'll just wait till the lecture is uploaded online.

And I'm doing English literature :smile:

By the way do you know if they record attendance for missing out lectures and seminars?

Original post by iThrow
if only your ability to find a lecture room in a small, finite area was as good as your spelling. :wink:

To be fair my campus is quite big and I'm new. Finding my lecture rooms next time should be a simple task, learning how to spell on the other hand is a life long virtue :wink:
Reply 6
To be fair my campus is quite big and I'm new. Finding my lecture rooms next time should be a simple task, learning how to spell on the other hand is a life long virtue :wink:

not as much of a virtue of knowing when it doesn't matter if something is mis-spelled. after all, i have you here for that don't i.
Original post by iThrow
not as much of a virtue of knowing when it doesn't matter if something is mis-spelled. after all, i have you here for that don't i.

*misspelled

You can have the last reply if you want.
Thank you, they record the lectures so I think it's online somewhere. I guess I'll just wait till the lecture is uploaded online.

By the way do you know if they record attendance for missing out lectures and seminars?

my university always took attendance for lectures but it wasn't formal (signing a sheet that went round) and I don't think anything was done about it unless you had really poor attendance

don't worry about it, the first lecture will be all practical stuff and not much content, it's worth finding the information out (if it's not recorded email the lecturer apologising and ask if you missed anything important) but it won't cause you problems in the long run

go scope out the next lecture location before the time so you don't miss any more
Reply 9
*misspelled

You can have the last reply if you want.

i'll just wish you good luck haha

Don't sweat it! But try not to make it a habit either! Best thing to do is email the lecturer and briefly express your apologies and ask if they can send you the slides (You might already have access to them through Moodle or equivalent). But don't just 'wait' for them. Be proactive.

Don't worry about it 'going on your record' attendance is usually taken but you won't be the first or the last person to miss a lecture. It's only for those students who have extremely poor attendance (i.e. below 50%) that will have issues.

All the best on your course,

Jack
(edited 7 years ago)

To be fair my campus is quite big and I'm new. Finding my lecture rooms next time should be a simple task

Ah cool! Lots of reading for you then :smile: First lectures are always introductory so you shouldn't have missed much buddy. Find out if your uni has Blackboard - that's what a lot of them use to upload lecture slides, recordings and information.

Seminars - because you're in a small group often record attendance, Lectures not so much, but it depends on the uni really.

Hello :smile:,

Missing your first lecture is no big deal! You'll be able to catch up on what you've missed and you're lecturer will understand. Generally, in the first week or so, lecturers expect people to be late or not turn up because of getting lost or having 'Freshers Flu' so don't worry at all!

Good luck :smile:
You won't be allowed to go your next lectures now, unlucky

Quick Reply

Latest