The Student Room Group

How to lose weight at university?

To put it bluntly I'm very fat and, as I am going off to university in a week, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to lose weight while studying. I currently weigh about 15 and a half stone and am 5 ft 5 inches - so yeah in the obese range and I'd really like to lose about 5 stone to start with by the end of my three year course. Tbh it's making me miserable, I look and feel like crap, and I'd much rather not be a land whale with health problems in the foreseeable future :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Same way you'd lose it any other place - eat less, move more :top:
Original post by WoodyMKC
Same way you'd lose it any other place - eat less, move more :top:

Eating less no problem (volume of food wasn't the issue I was just lazy with my choices); excercising however is another thing. It's not that I don't like excercising it's just I'm awful at any kind of sport and I can't really afford to go to the gym right now (plus the one at my uni is not that great) The only things I enjoy are walking and swimming which I've been told aren't the best activities to do if trying to lose weight. Would you be able to suggest anything else? Also, the workload/ schedule for my uni is known for being intense - any suggestions on how to manage my time for excercising. I know this seems like I'm asking the most obvious questions but I just want to do everything right.
It's actually not that hard to lose weight at uni. People make a big deal out of gaining weight at uni but ultimately they do so because they spend loads of money on take aways and alcohol while living 5 minutes walk away from everything they need so they barely do any exercise. Freedom can go either way and you can just as easily choose to spend your loan on healthy foods and take the opportunity to make sure there's nothing tempting in your cupboards, learn to cook well and limit the amount you drink. You can buy a gym membership (which will probably be very cheap) or join some sports clubs to keep fit.
Original post by ArtyScientist
Eating less no problem (volume of food wasn't the issue I was just lazy with my choices); excercising however is another thing. It's not that I don't like excercising it's just I'm awful at any kind of sport and I can't really afford to go to the gym right now (plus the one at my uni is not that great) The only things I enjoy are walking and swimming which I've been told aren't the best activities to do if trying to lose weight. Would you be able to suggest anything else? Also, the workload/ schedule for my uni is known for being intense - any suggestions on how to manage my time for excercising. I know this seems like I'm asking the most obvious questions but I just want to do everything right.

Do you have a bike?

walking and swimming are fine for weight loss... you burn less calories walking for an hour than running for an hour but it's also less intense so easier to sustain for a longer period (if you started running you'd be lucky to start off burning 100 calories a workout). The most impotant thing is being active regularly so doing something you enjoy is always better than something you hate even if it burns less calories. As far as timing goes - you just need to manage your time well, get up early if you need to, if you have a two hour gap between classes use it to go for na hour swim, walk the long way home etc.
Original post by doodle_333
It's actually not that hard to lose weight at uni. People make a big deal out of gaining weight at uni but ultimately they do so because they spend loads of money on take aways and alcohol while living 5 minutes walk away from everything they need so they barely do any exercise. Freedom can go either way and you can just as easily choose to spend your loan on healthy foods and take the opportunity to make sure there's nothing tempting in your cupboards, learn to cook well and limit the amount you drink. You can buy a gym membership (which will probably be very cheap) or join some sports clubs to keep fit.

Luckily for me I don't drink (just personal choice) and I won't be buying any takeaways as I am in catered accomodation (only option at my uni meaning very few kitchen facilities) and as I do not have a bike/ car to take with me I will be walking everywhere. I'm definitely going to be much more careful with my choices when I go and tbh honest I am more cautious when I am away from home anyway. I don't think I'm ready budget or confidence wise yet to hit the gym - kinda wanna lose the flab first and improve my overall level of activity first and then go to the gym when I've lost a bit. The only sport I enjoy is swimming, would that be a good place to start?
Original post by Plagioclase
Do you have a bike?

No, but tbh I'd much rather walk.
Original post by doodle_333
walking and swimming are fine for weight loss... you burn less calories walking for an hour than running for an hour but it's also less intense so easier to sustain for a longer period (if you started running you'd be lucky to start off burning 100 calories a workout). The most impotant thing is being active regularly so doing something you enjoy is always better than something you hate even if it burns less calories. As far as timing goes - you just need to manage your time well, get up early if you need to, if you have a two hour gap between classes use it to go for na hour swim, walk the long way home etc.

My fitness is appalling at the moment so I plan to start with walking everyday (at least 40mins) and then once my fitness has improved I'll move onto running. True - I've always loved walking and now that I'm going to a uni that's in a really pretty area it shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere for a walk. I'll probably end up doing the majority of my exercise morning and sometimes evening as my course is quite full on with lectures/ practicals/ self study/ tutorials etc from about 9 til 5/6ish most days but this is no problem as I'm an early riser.
Reply 9
walking wont do anything. meaningful exercise involves building up a sweat, getting out of beath and getting your heart really pumping.

if you really put your mind to it you could have yourself down to about 12 stone and in good shape by next summer. you have to work for it though - all that comfort you got from sitting around relaxing now has to be balanced by some discomfort. but that's all it is, just some discomfort.

Whoever told you the part in bold - never take advice from them again. Any exercise burns calories, and having burned more calories than you've consumed generally means fat loss. Swimming is a great one, lots of movement and you can vary the intensity.

As for time - if you want to do this, you will make time. The vast majority of people should be able to work a free hour for exercise into their routine, even half an hour if you prefer the HIIT style of cardio.
Losing weight should be easier now that you are in uni as you are fully in control of your diet. Just buy healthy foods... like buy fruits/vegetables and obviously some carbs like rice and pasta.
Don't snack on unhealthy food and when you go food shopping don't buy any of it. Also go to the gym.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iThrow
walking wont do anything. meaningful exercise involves building up a sweat, getting out of beath and getting your heart really pumping.

Simply not true. Walking is a great way to start, but how many calories he burns depends on how far he walks. 1-2h a day will b a signicant help whether it gets him sweating or not.
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger
Simply not true. Walking is a great way to start, but how many calories he burns depends on how far he walks. 1-2h a day will b a signicant help whether it gets him sweating or not.

my opinion is that walking is a cop out. this isn't somebody looking to maintain a healthy weight this is somebody overweight looking for meaningful changes. My way gets him healthier, faster and is therefore better.

edit; just to point out. when i was 17 i weighed about 15.5 stone. when i was 18 i weighed 10stone 6lbs

my way works.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
I am almost facing the same problem as you but I have two months before my uni starts so I joined a gym where I go twice a day and burn about 350 calories everytime. Plus I've started this fruit and vegetable crash diet which has made me lost 3 kgs in a week. (I could pm you if you want!)
And yea this is kinda working out well for me!
Btw swimming is a great exercise.
To put it bluntly I'm very fat and, as I am going off to university in a week, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to lose weight while studying. I currently weigh about 15 and a half stone and am 5 ft 5 inches - so yeah in the obese range and I'd really like to lose about 5 stone to start with by the end of my three year course. Tbh it's making me miserable, I look and feel like crap, and I'd much rather not be a land whale with health problems in the foreseeable future :smile:

Its 80% diet.

You need to burn more than you consume for a consistent period so you are at a calorific deficit.. You dont have to exerccise at all although its complementary.

Every 3500 calories you burn should give you a theoretical 1lb weight loss.

You should definitely be able to lose 5 stone in 3 years. You could do it in 2 or even 18 months if you set your mind to it.

Go and open yourself an account on MFP because you need to weigh and log your food so you can ensue the amount you consume v burn is always at deficit.
Original post by iThrow
my opinion is that walking is a cop out. this isn't somebody looking to maintain a healthy weight this is somebody overweight looking for meaningful changes. My way gets him healthier, faster and is therefore better.

Complete rubbish. walking is all that some people can manage, especially in the beginning. Your way is no better if they give up. You can burn plenty of calories doing 5-10k steps a day.
Reply 17
Original post by 999tigger
Complete rubbish. walking is all that some people can manage, especially in the beginning. Your way is no better if they give up. You can burn plenty of calories doing 5-10k steps a day.

not complete rubbish. i've already been there and done it as i pointed out in my earlier (edited) post.

its like 2 people could work jobs and the guy working on a till in asda will eventually be a millionaire after 1000 years of saving and the guy working in the big hedgefund will be a millionaire in about 5 years (idk how much they earn)

so yeah he can go for his little walks and maybe in like 5 years he can say "wow i lost 20 lbs" or he can do what he knows he needs to do and start running daily, cycling, anything that actually gives you a proper exercise. no excuses.
My fitness is appalling at the moment so I plan to start with walking everyday (at least 40mins) and then once my fitness has improved I'll move onto running. True - I've always loved walking and now that I'm going to a uni that's in a really pretty area it shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere for a walk. I'll probably end up doing the majority of my exercise morning and sometimes evening as my course is quite full on with lectures/ practicals/ self study/ tutorials etc from about 9 til 5/6ish most days but this is no problem as I'm an early riser.

just since some people seem convinced walking is pointless - I know someone who has recently lost several stone, they eat healthy (but treat themselves regularly) and the only exercise they've been doing is walking

the biggest key to being a healthy weight is to have a good lifestyle, there are plenty of places where lots of focused exercise isn't the norm but people stay healthy by walking everywhere and not spending 50% of the day sat on their backside watching TV
Original post by iThrow
not complete rubbish. i've already been there and done it as i pointed out in my earlier (edited) post.

its like 2 people could work jobs and the guy working on a till in asda will eventually be a millionaire after 1000 years of saving and the guy working in the big hedgefund will be a millionaire in about 5 years (idk how much they earn)

so yeah he can go for his little walks and maybe in like 5 years he can say "wow i lost 20 lbs" or he can do what he knows he needs to do and start running daily, cycling, anything that actually gives you a proper exercise. no excuses.

you start running while overweight and unfit you're going to struggle to burn 100cals in a work out because you simply won't be able to run far

you start off walking and you can actually burn more as you can sustain it longer... much more suited to someone who is overweight - and they're not going to get horrendous DOMS the next day and have to take lots of days off

of course if you are fit then running 10 miles in an hour and a half will have a bigger impact than walking for an hour and a half but that's not the case here

Quick Reply

Latest