The Student Room Group

Are these grades good enough for the English undergraduate course at Oxford?

So basically, for my International A levels I did English Literature, History, Maths and Economics, and managed to gets As for all of them at AS. I know that's more than enough for the three As criteria they have at Oxford and most other big unis, but here's the catch - my gcses were not really as exemplary as my AS grades.

My gcse grades consists of 1 A*, 2 AS, 3 Bs, and 3 Cs.....

Now if I apply for Oxford with my rather decent AS level/predicted A level grades, will my less than sub par gcse grades be a hindrance to my chances of getting in, or will they let those grades slide due to my clearly evident improvement in AS?

Feedback would be appreciated as soon as possible as the deadline for applying is next month.
A levels are more important than GCSEs unless specified so don't worry but you can always email and ask for peace of mind.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
A levels are more important than GCSEs unless specified so don't worry but you can always email and ask for peace of mind.

I've also heard that most Oxbridge students tend to have 7 or 8 A*s for gcses minimum, so are they are they more likely to shortlist applicants with gcse grades like mine when comparing it to students who have both good gcse and A level results, regardless of personal statements or interviews?
I strongly suggest you worry less about what you hear and spend more time looking at what unis actually require and emailing to ask if in doubt.
Reply 4
Original post by MrThefaraz
I've also heard that most Oxbridge students tend to have 7 or 8 A*s for gcses minimum, so are they are they more likely to shortlist applicants with gcse grades like mine when comparing it to students who have both good gcse and A level results, regardless of personal statements or interviews?

I'm basically just posting here to agree with alleycat393. Whoever looks at your application will care more about your A level performance than your GCSEs. If you nail the A levels and the other parts of the application process the GCSEs shouldn't weigh very heavily and if you don't you have other, bigger problems than your GCSEs. If it concerns you, contacting the institution itself is a good way to go.

I think it's healthiest, psychologically, to do your best on these applications and then think of the decision process as an unknowable black box once you've sent them off. Second-guessing it doesn't increase your chances of a place and can make you unhappy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending