The Student Room Group

I would like to be a nurse practitioner HOW?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by moonkatt
What is it you dislike about ward work? You don't have to work on a ward when you qualify, you choose the jobs you apply for.

Hi, I just don't really find it very interesting. I enjoy caring for people, but I feel like it is very repetitive. For example, I like A&E because you have to apply your knowledge to different situations and think constantly. I think ward work is very important and nurses do a very good job and it is very tiring but I just feel as if it not for me. To gain experience could you apply for wherever you like? such as A&E or theatres or HDU? because I feel like when people say gain experience to do other courses or CPD modules it sounds as if you have to work on medical or surgical wards for like 2-3 years before doing anything :/
Original post by Mango65
Hi, I just don't really find it very interesting. I enjoy caring for people, but I feel like it is very repetitive. For example, I like A&E because you have to apply your knowledge to different situations and think constantly. I think ward work is very important and nurses do a very good job and it is very tiring but I just feel as if it not for me. To gain experience could you apply for wherever you like? such as A&E or theatres or HDU? because I feel like when people say gain experience to do other courses or CPD modules it sounds as if you have to work on medical or surgical wards for like 2-3 years before doing anything :/

What wards have you experienced? Have you ever been on a busy acute medical unit or busy surgical ward?
Reply 22
What wards have you experienced? Have you ever been on a busy acute medical unit or busy surgical ward?

yes, I have been on both and haven't enjoyed either of them, but I often think student nurses do the job of a HCA during placements, which I definitely don't enjoy.
Original post by Mango65
yes, I have been on both and haven't enjoyed either of them, but I often think student nurses do the job of a HCA during placements, which I definitely don't enjoy.

There certainly is a factor of that going on with pre-reg students in a lot of clinical areas, it's something I disagree with. Acute medial units are essentially an extension of A&E, the staff nurse's role is very similar, with admissions coming from A&E and from outside of the hospital too such as GP referals. A lot of AMUs take on NQ nurses, while it's not for the faint hearted, it gives you an excellent foundation to bulid upon, especially if you want to move into critical care or emergency nursing.

Like I said before though, you don't have to work on a ward when qualifying, I went into theatres as an NQ nurse and now I'm a critical care nurse. On reflection when I started in critical care I'd have liked some ward experience as it'd have helped with my time management skills, but I'm doing just fine now. Some critical care units take on NQ nurses, as do some emergency departments as well.

As has already been said in this thread, while it's great to have ambition and career goals, the path of a nursing career can be quite convoluted. The difference between being a student and a new registered nurse is quite dramatic and takes time to get used to, hence why we make students do a preceptorship period. Having a long term goal is fine, but focus on the short term ones too as they're the ones that will bulid your career up.
Reply 24
There certainly is a factor of that going on with pre-reg students in a lot of clinical areas, it's something I disagree with. Acute medial units are essentially an extension of A&E, the staff nurse's role is very similar, with admissions coming from A&E and from outside of the hospital too such as GP referals. A lot of AMUs take on NQ nurses, while it's not for the faint hearted, it gives you an excellent foundation to bulid upon, especially if you want to move into critical care or emergency nursing.

Like I said before though, you don't have to work on a ward when qualifying, I went into theatres as an NQ nurse and now I'm a critical care nurse. On reflection when I started in critical care I'd have liked some ward experience as it'd have helped with my time management skills, but I'm doing just fine now. Some critical care units take on NQ nurses, as do some emergency departments as well.

As has already been said in this thread, while it's great to have ambition and career goals, the path of a nursing career can be quite convoluted. The difference between being a student and a new registered nurse is quite dramatic and takes time to get used to, hence why we make students do a preceptorship period. Having a long term goal is fine, but focus on the short term ones too as they're the ones that will bulid your career up.

Thanks for your help, I find it very useful :smile: critical care nursing seems interesting, there a lot of areas that interest me, but so far my placements on mainly surgical wards have been much less enjoyable than other placements I've been on.
Original post by Mango65
Thanks for your help, I find it very useful :smile: critical care nursing seems interesting, there a lot of areas that interest me, but so far my placements on mainly surgical wards have been much less enjoyable than other placements I've been on.

Have you had a critical care placement yet? It's a great environment (but I may be biased).
Reply 26
Have you had a critical care placement yet? It's a great environment (but I may be biased).

No not my proper one. I have been to A&E for a few hours with a nurse and to the assessment suite but not my long 7 week placement. I have it this year and looking forward to it :smile:
@Mango65 I don't know what the wards you have been on were like particularly but don't discount the effect that the team, working environment, mentor and the way you were taught (Or used as a HCA) will have on your perception of the clinical area. I did a NICU placement where my mentor and I didn't get along. At first, I thought I didn't like NICU as a clinical area. After finishing the placement I realised that I had really enjoyed the area, but the clash of personalities with my mentor had tainted my view of the area while I was there. (It's worth saying I learnt so so much, and she was an excellent mentor - even if we weren't best buds).
Reply 28
Original post by PaediatricStN
@Mango65 I don't know what the wards you have been on were like particularly but don't discount the effect that the team, working environment, mentor and the way you were taught (Or used as a HCA) will have on your perception of the clinical area. I did a NICU placement where my mentor and I didn't get along. At first, I thought I didn't like NICU as a clinical area. After finishing the placement I realised that I had really enjoyed the area, but the clash of personalities with my mentor had tainted my view of the area while I was there. (It's worth saying I learnt so so much, and she was an excellent mentor - even if we weren't best buds).

Yeah, I found a lot of nurses were quite sarcastic or rude and just generally have a bad attitude. For example, people didn't like me asking about further study after honours and didn't really have much patience for me. I understand it was busy and I don't think I'm THAT useless so I found it quite confusing... I thought nurses were meant to be nice... haha
Original post by Mango65

You should try an Acute Respiratory ward sounds like you might like it :P
Is there any way to become an ANP while getting a job in GP surgery as a practice nurse?
Original post by Regi.john
Is there any way to become an ANP while getting a job in GP surgery as a practice nurse?

This is a pretty ancient thread, you might be better off starting a new one with your question. (Edit: I see you’ve done this already :smile: )

I don’t know very much about practice nursing tbh (it’s pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum compared to what I do) but I believe practice nurses can go on to study their ANP masters and work in GP land as ANPs. I don’t know how funding would work for this though.
(edited 4 years ago)
this is a great response, well said
Reply 33
What about if you work in the community, say as an Addictions nurse, would you still have the same opportunities to become an ANP??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending