The Student Room Group

Newbie Coders Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
My first priority is to save my marriage, which is going through a rough patch at the moment. After that starting some form of voluntary job, and then things like my future education, such as possibly doing another conversion psychology masters degree. I'm in a mess atm to be honest with you, because my wife is making my life hell, and all of her family and friends, and most of my family, are on her side. My life sucks atm!

Sorry to hear about your situation. You seem very young to be married? Not a judgement, but I think that makes it harder because you are both still growing and maturing.
If you can, arrange to see a marriage counsellor.
Next thing to do is to spend time reflecting on exactly what the issues are. Identify your own needs, and also your own failures. You need to be honest about things that you can't do, or cope with. Then you need to find a way to communicate these in a calm way, and using language that is as neutral as possible. Frame things in terms of your needs and feelings and never in terms of her faults. This will make it more likely that she is able to hear you without reacting and that a productive conversation can take place.
If she could do the same, that would be great. Sometimes this stuff is just too hard to verbalise in person. An email or letter might really help you.

It's also worth keeping an open mind about whether you think your marriage can work, or should work after you've spent the time to analyse precisely what your different needs are and precisely what your personal limitations are. If you think that you can improve and mature so as to be able to give the other what they need, and avoid causing them pain... then great. But there's a possibility that you won't be able to... or that doing so would seriously undermine your own happiness. If that is the case then there is no shame in deciding to let the marriage go. There is a lot of cultural stigma surrounding divorce. But there is a gamut of psychological research confirming that divorce is far better for happiness than an unhappy marriage in the long term. So don't rule that out.
All the best :smile:
I am doing Computing for my A levels. I'm finding it quite easy at the moment. Use Python. It's so easy to use. I would advise using that for some easy ****
Original post by Craghyrax
Hey thanks Five! :love: I've saved that in my Evernote Coding notebook, and will try to schedule that in. Much appreciated.

It must be quite difficult to teach technical subjects very well... I guess there are some who don't care for the logic and theory behind things and just want to get on with doing and playing, and there are others who need to know they 'why' behind every last thing (that's me)... It's probably impossible to find an approach that works for everybody.

Separate teachers. :tongue:
First JavaScript lesson finished :woo: Feeling a bit more positive now :smile:

That's good. Python IDLE is the perfect thing to test coding.
Original post by Mvine001
That's good. Python IDLE is the perfect thing to test coding.

Cheers :smile:
Cheers :smile:

You're welcome

Woooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooww!!! Congratulations!!
:girl:
Onwards and upwards :horse:
:girl:
Onwards and upwards :horse:

All for one, one for all!!
Athos! Porthos! Aramis! D'Artagnan!
Codecademy are deleting the course I'm working on, and releasing an updated version next week...
Now I can't tell whether it's best to try and finish this one before the change, knowing that the next one will involve a lot of repetition... or whether I pause and wait for the new one, knowing that they might have improved their teaching approach and that the material in this one might be slightly out of date :s-smilie:
Dagnabbit.
Codecademy are deleting the course I'm working on, and releasing an updated version next week...
Now I can't tell whether it's best to try and finish this one before the change, knowing that the next one will involve a lot of repetition... or whether I pause and wait for the new one, knowing that they might have improved their teaching approach and that the material in this one might be slightly out of date :s-smilie:
Dagnabbit.

The material might be outdated and a first instinct might tell us to drop that outdated code, but if you know both the oudated and the new code, then you can swoop in into troublesome situations that contain old code (in the real world sometimes) and figure that out. More knowledge! Ancient and new!
Codecademy just had me make a role play game using a Justin Bieber concert as the setting :pinch: Now I've got this mental image of some programmers brainstorming together: "So what do normal people like these days?" :lol:
Original post by 571122
The material might be outdated and a first instinct might tell us to drop that outdated code, but if you know both the oudated and the new code, then you can swoop in into troublesome situations that contain old code (in the real world sometimes) and figure that out. More knowledge! Ancient and new!

Yep I'm thinking the same... repetition can't hurt when trying to learn. And I'd like to be able to help out with dev work on old games or forums I hang out on.
Anyone used free code camp? I'm a good way through the courses and so far it's really good.
Original post by catman99
Anyone used free code camp? I'm a good way through the courses and so far it's really good.

If it has a C course, I might give it a go. (planning on learning C/C#/C++ on top of Python)
Back once again with the JavaScriptMaster!

also I'm really good at C# and C++...... and Java
Reply 256
Bieber concerts is a great advancement in the teaching of programming.

Before it would of been let's make this exciting console app that reverses a string or prints out a christmass tree using the the hash character.
Reply 257
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Back once again with the JavaScriptMaster!

also I'm really good at C# and C++...... and Java

Oh wise JavaScript master I have noticed people creating JavaScript objects in many different ways:

Some do:

var customer ={Name:"Ronald"};

Others do:

function Customer(name){
this.Name = name;
}
car customer = new Customer('Ronald');

And I've even seen

function Customer(name)
{
}
Customer.prototype.Name ='Ronald';*
var customer = new Customer();

* What are the differences between them ? Which should I use ?
Original post by INTit
Oh wise JavaScript master I have noticed people creating JavaScript objects in many different ways:

Some do:
var customer ={Name:"Ronald"};
Others do:
function Customer(name){
this.Name = name;
}
car customer = new Customer('Ronald':wink:;
And I've even seen
function Customer(name)
{
}
Customer.prototype.Name ='Ronald';*
var customer = new Customer();
* What are the differences between them ? Which should I use ?

Well that 1st method is actually making a JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) object which is good for saving data or converting it to another format... JSON objects can be used in a NoSQL database like MongoDB or CouchDB. They can be identified by their use of "key-value-pairs" which in this case, the key is 'Name' and the value is 'Ronald', note that the value is always surrounded by quotes because the value is always a string.

2nd example: This is just a standard object constructor, all of the objects properties (name) are passed into the constructor as an argument, once the constructor is called the object is instantiated. This is the most common and straightforward way of creating objects.

3rd Example: Empty constructor with a prototype, it's the same as the second example however this gives you the option to change it's properties and add new properties that aren't defined in the constructor code.

One thing about JavaScript: EVERYTHING IS AN OBJECT this includes variables and functions, yes functions so this brings me to another way you can make objects (bit complicated though) it's called "Currying" where a function returns another function that then may return an object... it looks a little something like this:
function add(a, b) { if (arguments.length < 1) { return add; } else if (arguments.length < 2) { return function(c) { return a + c } } else { return a + b; }}
looks a bit pointless with this "basic addition" example but it becomes more useful when you use server-side JavaScript like Node JS for a process known as "routing"
(edited 7 years ago)
Console.WriteLine("Hello");

:ninja:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending