The Student Room Group

Food budgeting?

I'll be going to university next September, and I was curious as to how people budget their food? I tend to just live on just one meal a day, I pretty much fast until dinner - no snacks, just water, so I'm assuming this will help with budgeting? And due to my eating habits, is it worth going into catered accommodation? I'm not much of a cook but the idea of having a meal card or however it's done in each university really appeals to me but I don't want to end up not putting it to good use since I don't eat all that much... I don't know. :redface:
Original post by Nicoley-oley
I'll be going to university next September, and I was curious as to how people budget their food? I tend to just live on just one meal a day, I pretty much fast until dinner - no snacks, just water, so I'm assuming this will help with budgeting? And due to my eating habits, is it worth going into catered accommodation? I'm not much of a cook but the idea of having a meal card or however it's done in each university really appeals to me but I don't want to end up not putting it to good use since I don't eat all that much... I don't know. :redface:

Hello :smile:,

Personally, I think it's best to do what you want to do.
If you only live off one meal a day, I'd suggest shopping and cooking for yourself because then you can plan how much you need and want and cook as of when you want and in the long run it'll be cheaper.

If you were going into catered halls you get two deals a day and I feel like it'd be a waste for you - but at the end of the day, only you can make the decision.

Best of luck :smile:
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:,

Personally, I think it's best to do what you want to do.
If you only live off one meal a day, I'd suggest shopping and cooking for yourself because then you can plan how much you need and want and cook as of when you want and in the long run it'll be cheaper.

If you were going into catered halls you get two deals a day and I feel like it'd be a waste for you - but at the end of the day, only you can make the decision.

Best of luck :smile:

Ahh okay thank you, I'm thinking that if I become more active this year (thinking of taking up a sport) then I'll increase to two meals a day, in which case, I'll opt for catered, if not then, as you said, it would make more sense to cook for myself :smile:
Original post by Nicoley-oley
Ahh okay thank you, I'm thinking that if I become more active this year (thinking of taking up a sport) then I'll increase to two meals a day, in which case, I'll opt for catered, if not then, as you said, it would make more sense to cook for myself :smile:

@JustGeorgeJ (who I can see is helping you haha) has actually started a really useful thread on just this topic if you'd like to check it out :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67788642&t=4340722#post67788642

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending