The Student Room Group

i'm a mess

Scroll to see replies

Original post by homeland.lsw
i know, i'm 17. why should i be a mess? wait till i get to x years old or x part of my life, then i'll really be in deep ****. also, why should i be so ungrateful? i have clean water, three meals a day, clothes, a house, education? i have the perfect life. so i should stop whining and get on with it.

This kind of thinking is just going to make you less likely to be able to actually deal with your problems. Your issues are no less important to yourself because you're not starving in a slum and in your 40s. Your issues are very important to yourself and you shouldn't be afraid to express them or attempt to fix them.
Original post by Deyesy
Suicide is one of the least cowardly things anyone can do in my humble opinion. It actually takes alot of strength. I'm really glad to hear you don't want to end your life though. I guess no-one knows what's going to happen to them which means we should try and make as big a positive impact on other people's lives as possible in the time we do have.

Cowardly in a sense that, it's too much of an easy way out? Idk, religion kinda influences how I feel about suicide. :redface:. But I completely agree, try and focus some positive energy on other people, that might help lift my mood.
i don't know, everything? nothing? right now...nothing much
Original post by iThrow
then allow me to try a different approach mate.

you need to stop thinking this way right now, you really do need to stop. as you identified you'll get some sympathetic throwaway phrases but you're the only person that can help yourself out of this.

volunteering can be an incredibly humbling experience, especially for people like yourself that already have the 'perfect life'. why not give it a try and allow yourself to see first hand the very 'unperfect' life that some have.

I do volunteer at a local care home which helps a bit. :redface: But I agree, kinda take a stand and try and stop feeling down?
Original post by Hevachan
I think alot of people invalidate our feelings when they're trying to be helpful. Like 'cheer up' OH GEEZ I feel so much better now!!! /sarcasm

But when you start to stand up for your feelings and say 'you know what, I feel **** and that's allowed, I'm human and I'm entitled to feel whatever i'm feeling' then it becomes less of a struggle.

Whatever is upsetting you, there are people who care. If you are feeling rough, go to your GP, phone or email samaritans, talk to your school/university guidance, look up self help like CBT, mindfulness or meditation. If none of that works, don't give up, just push through every day because life will give you a break eventually

it's nice that they try, but sometimes it just makes matters worse. :biggrin:

i know. I'm human, i have the right to feel **** sometimes, it's just i forget this. I feel ungrateful and selfish idk.

yeah I do have quite a few VERY close people who are always willing to listen and tell me things straight, none of this airy fairy ********. :redface:
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
This kind of thinking is just going to make you less likely to be able to actually deal with your problems. Your issues are no less important to yourself because you're not starving in a slum and in your 40s. Your issues are very important to yourself and you shouldn't be afraid to express them or attempt to fix them.

Thanks mate. Also I like your second name? :tongue:
Reply 66
I do volunteer at a local care home which helps a bit. :redface: But I agree, kinda take a stand and try and stop feeling down?

well yeah that but the reason you feel down is because you know deep down you're not living a fulfilling life and i kinda wanted to spur you on to see the huge opportunities ahead of you. but if you hide away from it and mope about then you won't progress. you can't lie to your brain so the only way to stop it feeling like that is to actually go out there and start doing fulfilling things - then it will let you off the hook :biggrin:
Thanks mate. Also I like your second name? :tongue:

This is going to haunt me
This is going to haunt me

But why? I think Lawrence is a great name :biggrin:
But why? I think Lawrence is a great name :biggrin:

Because it's my full name fam. Speaking of, do you know who I can contact to get a name change?
Because it's my full name fam. Speaking of, do you know who I can contact to get a name change?

make a thread in AtCT i think? :dontknow: well, it was nice seeing another Lawrence here :wink:
make a thread in AtCT i think? :dontknow: well, it was nice seeing another Lawrence here :wink:

B-brother?!
Original post by iThrow
well yeah that but the reason you feel down is because you know deep down you're not living a fulfilling life and i kinda wanted to spur you on to see the huge opportunities ahead of you. but if you hide away from it and mope about then you won't progress. you can't lie to your brain so the only way to stop it feeling like that is to actually go out there and start doing fulfilling things - then it will let you off the hook :biggrin:

Trust me! I try and do as much as my parents let me. I'm lucky enough to live in one of the biggest cities in the world, but I can only do some much. thanks for the motivation though x means a lot
B-brother?!

Yes :yep:
no i'm not. i just see life how it is. i don't live in happy fairy land. also no offence but i dislike happy songs

dw tho.Life ALWAYS gets better:smile:
u dislike happy songs?oh...soz then

Quick Reply

Latest