The Student Room Group

POF- mainly for hookups?

I recently joined POF because I'm a little bit bored and think it might be good to start dating again after finally recovering from a breakup that really broke me.

I've chatted with a few guys and last week I started chatting with one who has caught my attention. I don't know how much of a decent guy he is and I tend to want to get to know someone on a friendship basis before committing myself physically or emotionally.

Am I in the wrong place on POF and am I being naive to think I could meet a decent guy off there?

Scroll to see replies

I don't want a relationship and I'm not using cuckbook to sign up to tinder so this sounds perfect for a Chad like me
Original post by MagnetoWasRight
I don't want a relationship and I'm not using cuckbook to sign up to tinder so this sounds perfect for a Chad like me

Why not just go to bars and fingerblast the first girl you see buying a shot of vodka like a real chad
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
Why not just go to bars and fingerblast the first girl you see buying a shot of vodka like a real chad

My personality goes a long way to offsetting my looks.
Original post by Slim and proud
I recently joined POF because I'm a little bit bored and think it might be good to start dating again after finally recovering from a breakup that really broke me.

I've chatted with a few guys and last week I started chatting with one who has caught my attention. I don't know how much of a decent guy he is and I tend to want to get to know someone on a friendship basis before committing myself physically or emotionally.

Am I in the wrong place on POF and am I being naive to think I could meet a decent guy off there?

Opinion time: I don't think that dating apps or websites are a good idea for forming a relationship. I tend to be more on the side that first impressions and physical presence are essential to forming a bond with someone.

That being said, you're not being naive and there will be some people on POF that are decent blokes. May I ask: why do you feel the need to use a dating site to find someone?
Even tinder's better than POF
Original post by Pinkberry_y

Speaking of tinder... what ever happened to that parent story? How did it end?

Haha, you're kidding me..

I guess I've been living in a hole for a while

What's the parent story

I deleted my account. I didn't tell my mum about it. Initially I wasn't going to talk to my dad but he kept asking me if I was okay because I was acting differently so I said why are you on tinder? He started saying stuff like how it was from ages ago and he didn't know how to delete his account, how people were talking about it and he just wanted to see what it was blah blah. Whatever he can say all the crap he wants It's his business
Haha, you're kidding me..

I guess I've been living in a hole for a while

I'm actually not. From my time of using tinder I found quite a few guys on there who weren't into the whole sleeping with someone then moving onto the next one. They actually wanted to date. After a while you learn how to weed out the hood boys from the real manly men
I deleted my account. I didn't tell my mum about it. Initially I wasn't going to talk to my dad but he kept asking me if I was okay because I was acting differently so I said why are you on tinder? He started saying stuff like how it was from ages ago and he didn't know how to delete his account, how people were talking about it and he just wanted to see what it was blah blah. Whatever he can say all the crap he wants It's his business

That's actually quite a tame outcome. I'm glad it's over with now, though, for your sake. It seemed like it was really stressing you out.
That's actually quite a tame outcome. I'm glad it's over with now, though, for your sake. It seemed like it was really stressing you out.

Yeah it was pretty good. I think things would have gotten real ugly if I'd listened to some of the posters and started blackmailing him or telling my mum
I'm on POF and I have met a genuine guy on there, who I got to know on a friends only bases first before we took it any further...
Yeah it was pretty good. I think things would have gotten real ugly if I'd listened to some of the posters and started blackmailing him or telling my mum

Telling your mum? I wouldn't suggest that in the least...

Spoiler

I'm actually not. From my time of using tinder I found quite a few guys on there who weren't into the whole sleeping with someone then moving onto the next one. They actually wanted to date. After a while you learn how to weed out the hood boys from the real manly men

Haha, I see. I'm hoping I'm now mature enough to weed out the hood boys, but I shouldn't be so sure of myself. I do tend to tell guys to get lost when they are so blatant about the intent.

This one whose caught my attention so far hasn't been blatant, but I'll never know until I meet him I guess.

I feel like asking him already what he's after, but so far our conversations are superficial so an opportunity hasn't presented itself.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm on POF and I have met a genuine guy on there, who I got to know on a friends only bases first before we took it any further...

Oh cool, that's good to know.

Experience has taught me not to rush into relationships so I'm also looking to work on the friendship first model.
Haha, I see. I'm hoping I'm now mature enough to weed out the hood boys, but I shouldn't be so sure of myself. I do tend to tell guys to get lost when they are so blatant about the intent.

This one whose caught my attention so far hasn't been blatant, but I'll never know until I meet him I guess.

I feel like asking him already what he's after, but so far our conversations are superficial so an opportunity hasn't presented itself.

Ask him what his thoughts are on Angela Merkel's plan for the refugees. Then swiftly follow that question up with thoughts on MH370. If he doesn't know what MH370 is then bin this guy, he's not good enough for you
POF sucks for finding relationships and or hook ups in my experience. Tinder is far better for either, you just need to be clear about what your intentions are in terms of being in a relationship or just meeting for a hook up.
Telling your mum? I wouldn't suggest that in the least...

Spoiler

Oh hahaha did you suggest that? :biggrin: You had good intentions I'm sure

Quick Reply

Latest