The Student Room Group

How do you add the lines for quartiles and median on a line graph in Excel?

Hi there. I am making a cumulative frequency graph in Excel but can't find anything to help on how I use Excel to calculate the upper and lower quartile. Also, I am not sure how to use it to calculate the median estimate and then get Excel to show these on my graph.

I know on a paper graph I could just use 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 rules and draw them on. I am struggling to find anything on the internet to help do this on Excel :s-smilie:.Bloody Excel.jpg

I have the frequency data and the upper bounds but no raw data.
Original post by jojo55
Hi there. I am making a cumulative frequency graph in Excel but can't find anything to help on how I use Excel to calculate the upper and lower quartile. Also, I am not sure how to use it to calculate the median estimate and then get Excel to show these on my graph.

I know on a paper graph I could just use 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 rules and draw them on. I am struggling to find anything on the internet to help do this on Excel :s-smilie:.Bloody Excel.jpg

I have the frequency data and the upper bounds but no raw data.

Your chart isn't right at the moment because you've used a "Line" graph in excel instead of a "Scatter with smooth lines". It presents the difference between 24 and 28 as the same as the difference between 28 and 40.

See the image for how you can plot in the interquartile values - I just tweaked these until the lines crossedchart.PNG
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Your chart isn't right at the moment because you've used a "Line" graph in excel instead of a "Scatter with smooth lines". It presents the difference between 24 and 28 as the same as the difference between 28 and 40.

See the image for how you can plot in the interquartile values - I just tweaked these until the lines crossedchart.PNG

Thanks that was so helpful :biggrin::biggrin:.

Quick Reply

Latest