The Student Room Group

GCSEs-- please help me, I'm scared

My GCSE grades are really bad:

1A*, 8 As and 1 B. but i really want to apply for a top university. Due to medical issues, I was unable to revise properly and ace my GCSEs, but I know i can do it for AS and A-Levels.

I am taking Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Physics(maybe Further Maths),

Any advice please, honestly?

Could I say 9 A*-A and 1 B on my UCAS application??
you cant really lie about ur grades tbh, just be honest abt it, prove u can do better at alvls

Spoiler

how are those bad?
Original post by Jeeves CP

1A*, 8 As and 1 B. but i really want to apply for a top university. Due to medical issues, I was unable to revise properly and ace my GCSEs, but I know i can do it for AS and A-Levels.

You have to enter all of your grades individually on UCAS so no, you can't do that. But GCSEs are not the most important part of the application process and whilst it's true that those GCSEs will be significantly below average for a university like Oxford, that's not so much because they're actively discriminating against low GCSEs as the fact that people who perform better at GCSE also tend to perform better later on. If you can impress at AS, in entrance exams and most importantly at interview, your GCSEs will not stop you from getting a place.

The one exception to this is for Medicine.
Reply 4
Hi there,

I appreciate you are disappointed with your lot, and you feel you could have done better. I urge you, however, to remember the importance of GCSEs in the wider field.

I'm first year at Newcastle University. I got no A*s, circa 5 As and 7Bs. I did A-Levels and got ABC. They still let me in to my course. Unless you are going for Oxbridge your GCSEs do not matter beyond getting you to Sixth Form or college. Most schools operate a better-than-B policy, but some might let you in with Cs depending on the subject. I urge you to take heart as these results are stellar, trust me. Beyond Sixth Form they really don't matter and even so it is impressive to have so many.

If you are going to apply to Oxbridge, give the admissions department a ring.They won't be able to give you cast iron guarantees but might be able to put your mind at rest.

Even if it all goes Pete Tong and you leave with CCC, hundreds of people do exceedingly well at 'lesser' institutions anyway. You've nothing to fear.

I know the frustration, as I was hoping for stars. But as I have said before, GCSEs are a gateway, and are generally ignored if you do well in A Levels. You haven't failed Maths or English so won't need to retake. Most if not all sixth forms will be gagging to take you as you are a stellar student.

Don't worry, you did better than me and I got on okay!
Original post by Jeeves CP

they aren't really bad. please don't let them bog you down. i got 1A 6B 1C and 1D yet i'm still aiming as high as possible. they are not important in the long haul. get A*s at A-level, write an incredible personal statement, get suitable work experience for your course and you can get in. just don't lie about your grades! you'll get GCSE certificates and they will be seen by your uni so there's no way to get around it without it hindering your application.

if you aren't also lying about your medical issues you can use that as an excuse. you shouldn't be so worried if you had genuine reasons to fall below par.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending