The Student Room Group

University of Birmingham A100 Medicine 2017

Hey :biggrin:

I couldn't find a thread for A100 entry for 2017 so here it is officially :colondollar:

Birmingham are very GCSE heavy, with it being a 70% focus, and the UKACT making up the remainder 30%

It is also one of the only universities which provide an offer calculator to check if you are eligible for the course and your likelihood of getting an interview. The calculator also generates a score which the university uses to rank candidates, make a cut-off and send out calls for interview.

I know the 2015 cut-off was 6.17, and my score was 7.667 so Birmingham is one of my definite choices :h:

Feel free to post your scores or your views of the university. Hopefully some current students will come along too!
Reply 1
Original post by aRandomGuy
Hey :biggrin:

I couldn't find a thread for A100 entry for 2017 so here it is officially :colondollar:

Birmingham are very GCSE heavy, with it being a 70% focus, and the UKACT making up the remainder 30%

It is also one of the only universities which provide an offer calculator to check if you are eligible for the course and your likelihood of getting an interview. The calculator also generates a score which the university uses to rank candidates, make a cut-off and send out calls for interview.

I know the 2015 cut-off was 6.17, and my score was 7.667 so Birmingham is one of my definite choices :h:

Feel free to post your scores or your views of the university. Hopefully some current students will come along too!

Hello! I've applied to Birmingham.
I applied because I wanted a "safe" choice (in terms of interviews) - my score is 9.667 so I thought I would be, er, quite likely to get an interview! :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by Zedna
Hello! I've applied to Birmingham.
I applied because I wanted a "safe" choice (in terms of interviews) - my score is 9.667 so I thought I would be, er, quite likely to get an interview! :redface:

I think you're as close as you can get without saying 'guaranteed' :tongue:

My UKCAT lets me down, I only managed to average 630, Band 2. 8A*s 2As at GCSE however which brings me up. Hoping it acts in my favour :h:

Any idea what the 2016 cut-off was? The 2015 one was 6.17 which is what I'm applying on...
Reply 3
Original post by aRandomGuy
I think you're as close as you can get without saying 'guaranteed' :tongue:

My UKCAT lets me down, I only managed to average 630, Band 2. 8A*s 2As at GCSE however which brings me up. Hoping it acts in my favour :h:

Any idea what the 2016 cut-off was? The 2015 one was 6.17 which is what I'm applying on...

There's this score calculator spreadsheet that says it was 6.17 for "selection for interview in 2015-16", so I think that figure is actually for 2016 entry :smile: I spoke to an admissions tutor at the open day who quoted around that figure too. But I think you'll almost certainly be fine with that score, I can't see it jumping that much!
Ah that's a bummer - UKCAT is so silly, there's just no strong evidence that it selects good doctors!
Reply 4
Original post by Zedna
There's this score calculator spreadsheet that says it was 6.17 for "selection for interview in 2015-16", so I think that figure is actually for 2016 entry :smile: I spoke to an admissions tutor at the open day who quoted around that figure too. But I think you'll almost certainly be fine with that score, I can't see it jumping that much!
Ah that's a bummer - UKCAT is so silly, there's just no strong evidence that it selects good doctors!

That makes so much sense considering Birmingham first used the UKCAT in the 2015-16 cycle - its just that the way they phrase it on the offer calculator sounds like they decided not to reveal the 2016 cut-off, which is exactly the same thing :colondollar:

Ah thanks, I hope it doesn't jump massively since I'm using Birmingham as a back-up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending