The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hasaanh
Hi, I just graduated in Pharmacy with a 1st from King's and am now conducting my Pre-reg at a flagship boots store. I have AAB in Bio, Maths, chem at A level. I am considering applying to the undergraduate course as I am fearful of the UKCAT. Have no idea how I'll perform. Does anyone know if you need AAA for A level's to apply to the undergraduate courses? I can fund the course hopefully due to savings. Just have no clue where to apply assuming my UKCAT is below average.

Hey, most unis don't ask for AAA at alevel, i think one of the exceptions is Cambridge? Have you done your UKCAT or are you still in the process?
Reply 21
Original post by AmaduM
I'm looking to apply for the 5 year course too. In terms of funding I'm going to enquire about "future finance". From what I saw on their website they're able to fund up to £40,000. However, they expect you to start making payments (capped at £75 per month) as soon as you start your course. And once you finish the course I think the cap is removed after 3 months and you begin to pay back larger amounts. I'm currently working as a phlebotomist and saving so that I can pay back during the course. And I'm HOPING if I was to be accepted that I'm able to find a post within 3 months after graduating so paying back wouldn't be a problem. The other drawback is the interest rate. I think it's a bit high too. I'm going to speak to a few banks to see if they offer professional development loans too. So far those are my only options. I'm also hoping to work part time during the course to help with extra expenditure.

Hi, I have also come across this company, for some reason its all over facebook! I am really worried about this company because the interest rate is quite high. It may be better looking at banks to see if they have a lower interest rate. I am currently saving up as I have recently graduated and will have a year of savings when I start, so if I need to use one of these companies I will have some money to live off whilst making the monthly payments.

Have you decided where you are going to apply? :smile:*
Reply 22
Original post by keenbean23
Hi! I'm applying for undergrad medicine too.
Did my UKCAT yesterday:
VR - 590
QR - 680
AR - 610
SJT - Band 2
Average of 627.

Planning on making use of a postgrad loan and working.

Can anyone give me some advice as to where to apply?
My choices so far are Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and Newcastle. Is this feasible? Wheres everyone else applying?
Thanks in advance. :smile:

Hello :smile:
I think all your choices except maybe Newcastle seem feasible. I think Newcastle have a high UKCAT cut off? How did you do in your degree? Some universities use UKCAT alongside academics (Bart's) so these unis may give you an advantage :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by eemooz
Hi, I have also come across this company, for some reason its all over facebook! I am really worried about this company because the interest rate is quite high. It may be better looking at banks to see if they have a lower interest rate. I am currently saving up as I have recently graduated and will have a year of savings when I start, so if I need to use one of these companies I will have some money to live off whilst making the monthly payments.

Have you decided where you are going to apply? :smile:*

Yeah I am in the same position. Hopefully we can find banks that would be willing to lend out that much money (considering our credit score is good). I'm applying to Birmingham, Southampton, Bart's and MAYBE King's College depending on where I stand with the UKCAT. Wbu?
Original post by eemooz
Hello :smile:
I think all your choices except maybe Newcastle seem feasible. I think Newcastle have a high UKCAT cut off? How did you do in your degree? Some universities use UKCAT alongside academics (Bart's) so these unis may give you an advantage :smile:

Yeah I've been reading on here that Newcastle is pretty UKCAT heavy so I'm thinking maybe Keele or Hull-York but waiting to see what the final UKCAT averages come out at on the 7th of October.
I got a 2.1 in my degree.
I don't want to doBMAT or GAMSAT.

Where are you applying? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by eemooz
Hey, most unis don't ask for AAA at alevel, i think one of the exceptions is Cambridge? Have you done your UKCAT or are you still in the process?

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

I have not done the UKCAT yet, mine is on Friday. I just pray I get a decent score to get an interview. I am pretty confident when interviewing but the enterance exam really provides a hinderance and by no means showcases what a good doctor looks like.

Not really good at the UKCAT if I'm honest.
Reply 26
Hey to update you guys I did my UKCAT today and am teribly gutted with my score.
VR: 480
QR:700
AR:700

I completly blanked out in the VR section was getting mid 650's in mocks. Any ideas of where I should apply?

Hows everyone else doing?
Does anyone know if the fees will rise for next years entry? Cause if they do may have to re-consider the 5 yr options :?
Reply 28
Original post by NafNaf39
Does anyone know if the fees will rise for next years entry? Cause if they do may have to re-consider the 5 yr options :?

I saw on quite a few university websites that it's now £9,250

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I heard they're going up to £9,250. I thought once you started a degree, any dramatic rise wouldn't affect you? I got into uni just before they tripled the fees and mine remained around £3,000 for all three years. I'm funding through savings and a small inheritance. I'll be classed as a 'mature' independent student so I qualify for the £8,200 - which was a nice surprise after thinking I'd be getting reduced-rate!

Does anyone know if we would qualify for any university bursaries/scholarships? The only ones I've stumbled on exclude you if you have a first degree :frown:
You should check out belfast, they favour graduates a lot but the interviews are hard and you can only apply there twice, afterwards they no longer look at your application (I think if you apply there you have to do it twice consequitively... my memory is a bit vague here might want to look them up). I have a 2:1 and currently doing a masters, I am considering applying to Dundee and Glasgow (and maybe Belfast), where else would you recommend? I'm not too sure which uni's accept a fair amount of graduates. Don't think Aberdeen is viable for me since my academic reference doesn't meet their requirements (my supervisor is strict and says she cant comment on my personality unfortunately).
Reply 31
Hi, Would you still be able to take out a maintenance loan if you have already received it for undergrad degree? Thank you :smile:
Original post by elsa10
You can take out a maintenance loan of £8200 and use that to pay the fees. The you need to cover rent and living costs. My parents are helping with the rent and I have some savings for living costs wmbut will work during the uni holidays too
Original post by Akz18
Hi, Would you still be able to take out a maintenance loan if you have already received it for undergrad degree? Thank you :smile:

Yeah you're entitled to a maintenance loan if you're studying medicine or dentistry, even if you've had funding for a first degree. It's the tuition that isn't covered - hope this helps :smile:
Reply 33
Thank you very much! :smile:
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
Yeah you're entitled to a maintenance loan if you're studying medicine or dentistry, even if you've had funding for a first degree. It's the tuition that isn't covered - hope this helps :smile:
I'm applying to Kings for both their GEM and undergraduate courses; as a graduate, they don't look at GSCEs or A Levels. And mine were very, very sub-par.

So, instead I'm applying with a 2:1 in Natural Sciences from the Open University, a very strong personal statement and a UKCAT average of 734 👍🏼 Good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by AdamCW
I'm applying to Kings for both their GEM and undergraduate courses; as a graduate, they don't look at GSCEs or A Levels. And mine were very, very sub-par.

So, instead I'm applying with a 2:1 in Natural Sciences from the Open University, a very strong personal statement and a UKCAT average of 734 👍🏼 Good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very nice stats, good luck!
Reply 36
Original post by Captain127
You should check out belfast, they favour graduates a lot but the interviews are hard and you can only apply there twice, afterwards they no longer look at your application (I think if you apply there you have to do it twice consequitively... my memory is a bit vague here might want to look them up). I have a 2:1 and currently doing a masters, I am considering applying to Dundee and Glasgow (and maybe Belfast), where else would you recommend? I'm not too sure which uni's accept a fair amount of graduates. Don't think Aberdeen is viable for me since my academic reference doesn't meet their requirements (my supervisor is strict and says she cant comment on my personality unfortunately).

warwick? kings? barts? which entrance exams have you sat?
Reply 37
Original post by hasaanh
Hey to update you guys I did my UKCAT today and am teribly gutted with my score.
VR: 480
QR:700
AR:700

I completly blanked out in the VR section was getting mid 650's in mocks. Any ideas of where I should apply?

Hows everyone else doing?

Hey, well done on your UKCAT, everyone struggles with the VR section, it has one of the lowest averages compared to the other sections so dont beat yourself up about it!

I would recommend keele, leciester, maybe glasgow aberdeen? what are the rest of your stats like?*
Reply 38
Thanks! I have 1st class in Pharmacy from King'a.
3A's at A level (bio,Chem and maths)
All A-B's at GCSE
A published clinical hospital project based on the ICU
A full scholarship offered to only 30 students in King's
Loads of work expierance, awards and president of multiple major societies.
Reply 39
Original post by hasaanh
Thanks! I have 1st class in Pharmacy from King'a.
3A's at A level (bio,Chem and maths)
All A-B's at GCSE
A published clinical hospital project based on the ICU
A full scholarship offered to only 30 students in King's
Loads of work expierance, awards and president of multiple major societies.

thats very impressive.
Do kings favour alumni? if so, you may be in with a shot?

Keele UEA etc are good options. Your UKCAT isn't "bad" its just not high enough for all the very UKCAT unis like sheffield and newcastle. You have good grades and a good classifications so *write a good personal statement and with a bit of luck youll be in with a good shot!

Latest

Trending

Trending