The Student Room Group

Trying to get A*A*A*A*A* at A-level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by nisha.sri
I'm sure you'll do amazing 😄 What did you receive for GCSE? How much do you revise during the weekends 😳

I hope so!
At the moment I must admit I'm not doing a lot of revision/studying... in fact I plan on just doing the minimum for each of my subjects whilst I prepare for an exam I have in November... A risky plan but one that I have to take.
For my GCSE's I received 6A*s and 5A's, so not exactly the best grades but I did attend a school with a below 50% pass rate at GCSE so I think I outperformed slightly. I wasn't aware of the importance of GCSE's, I just wanted to get out of school and get a job at that point and I had no intention of higher education because I didn't think I would be capable of it. Also, money is somewhat difficult to come by so I needed a job... but then laws changed and I had to go to college which initially I was very frustrated about but it worked out I guess :smile:
Original post by Someboady
I hope so!
At the moment I must admit I'm not doing a lot of revision/studying... in fact I plan on just doing the minimum for each of my subjects whilst I prepare for an exam I have in November... A risky plan but one that I have to take.
For my GCSE's I received 6A*s and 5A's, so not exactly the best grades but I did attend a school with a below 50% pass rate at GCSE so I think I outperformed slightly. I wasn't aware of the importance of GCSE's, I just wanted to get out of school and get a job at that point and I had no intention of higher education because I didn't think I would be capable of it. Also, money is somewhat difficult to come by so I needed a job... but then laws changed and I had to go to college which initially I was very frustrated about but it worked out I guess :smile:

Ah ok 😄 I'm sure you'll get into Oxford with those amazing grades just work hard. I've only just started AS ☺️ Already I can see that it's going to get harder and the work load is going to increase. 😄
Sweet jesus motherloving christ **** me up what the

You're exactly the type of kid my parents wanted. Then they got stuck with me. But seriously, you seem insanely talented and I wish you all the best in the coming year.
Good luck and well done
But why are you taking 5? Just 3 A*'s or 1 A* and 2 As can get you into any top university?
Maybe spend the extra time on extra curriculars or get a job to save for uni
(I didn't read the whole post)
Because after you're in uni, a level grades are largely unnecessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by sweeneyrod
I only did three A-levels, but I think if you did four you would often get offers involving all of them. Out of the ones you're applying to, I think Imperial might be a bit funny (they have a habit of giving higher offers than the ones advertised, my friend got A*A*A for Computing, and me A*A*A with A in the EPQ for JMC), and Oxford might care about all of them since you did most of maths last year, and they might want to see 3 A2s this year. For the rest of them, even if you did get an A*AAA offer I expect they would let you in if you didn't get an A in the fourth subject.

So I submitted my UCAS Application (it's gone to my college who are sorting out my reference). I applied for: Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Sheffield. All of them are ones I wanted to apply for EXCEPT Sheffield. They all have A*AA grade offers but Sheffield has AAA. I want to change Sheffield to Durham/UCL/Southampton, but they each have their own issues (distance,finance, course). I kind of figured if I miss the A*AA then I would do a third year at College because all the top unis want A*AA and I don't think I'd be satisfied at Sheffield. What do you think, should I get my college to change Sheffield to Durham or UCL or Southampton?
So I submitted my UCAS Application (it's gone to my college who are sorting out my reference). I applied for: Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Sheffield. All of them are ones I wanted to apply for EXCEPT Sheffield. They all have A*AA grade offers but Sheffield has AAA. I want to change Sheffield to Durham/UCL/Southampton, but they each have their own issues (distance,finance, course). I kind of figured if I miss the A*AA then I would do a third year at College because all the top unis want A*AA and I don't think I'd be satisfied at Sheffield. What do you think, should I get my college to change Sheffield to Durham or UCL or Southampton?

I think it's a pretty personal decision. It depends on how likely you think you are to get A*AA, and what your attitude to a third year of college or a gap year is. Ultimately, it probably doesn't matter that much. If you get offers from two of your top four (which I'm pretty confident you will) you will presumably put those as your firm and insurance (BTW, Bristol's offer is only AAA if you have Maths and Further Maths).

One thing you could consider is choosing a fifth option with a slightly different course to the others, in case you change your mind about what you want to study. For instance, I applied to Durham for Natural Sciences in case I suddenly decided I wanted to do a mixture of Computer Science and Philosophy. That's only relevant if you aren't totally sure about your course though. Failing that, I'd probably go for whichever uni you like best, disregarding entry requirements.
Reply 66
Day 8
During the weekend I completed all 5 pieces of homework I had. I finished my EPQ Production Log but I also need to fill in another booklet (I hate writing). I also tried some STEP style questions and got 4 answers out of 8 correct! But I've definitely got to work on that because I know I needed hints from a friend of mine who's a maths genius.
In terms of subjects, what's frustrating me is how few frees I have... I get 3 a week and its just not enough to be studying by myself :/ I also lose time on my way home due to traffic and having to run errands. So I end up at home around 6PM and then I eat/get ready for about 7 and then I start working till about 9:30 before I get to bed. Just a heads up of how much revision I can actually get done in an evening tbh.

Further Mathematics
Fun and games for all the family! M2 - we've just completed Centres of Mass. FP1 - We're doing Co-ordinate systems (with the bad teacher). I plan on self-teaching this tonight within the next 2 hours. It doesn't look like a big topic and its fairly easy in class at least. S2 - I did a Binomial Distribution exam question and got that right! I definitely need to be doing more though. Again, lack of frees is killing me inside.
Physics
Its frustratingly slow but we've finished the first two topics at last... plenty left to do and the pace is just not good at all! I want things done. It might be me being impatient but I remember how short the time between finishing the content and the exam was... we had about a week before the exam when we finally finished the content.
Computer Science
Working on the write-up. Aiming to have this first section complete before the 30th of September. The deadline is actually midway through October so it'll give me plenty of time to do Maths in my CompSci lessons.
UCAS/Universities
I still haven't decided between changing Sheffield to Durham but I think I'm going to go ahead with it tomorrow.
MAT
So far I've completed the first two MAT papers and gained average scores on these though I KNOW I could've done better. I'm writing out the solutions so that I can solve problems from experience in the future.
I've already finished my bachelors degree and got a first, but you are goals. Your determination is just inspiring. I wish i was this hardworking at your age :frown: I wish you every success in this and later life :h:
Reply 68
. So I end up at home around 6PM and then I eat/get ready for about 7 and then I start working till about 9:30 before I get to bed. Just a heads up of how much revision I can actually get done in an evening tbh.

I unfortunately suffer from this to. To prevent losing valuable time, I just work till 1-2am. Downside is I'm only getting 4-5 hours sleep. However, I'm getting so much work done. 6pm - 2am is 8 hours, of those 8 hours I'm probably working for 6 hours
(edited 7 years ago)
A guy from my school a couple of years back did this. He is now at Cambridge doing maths through a scholarship after getting 99%+ in every single one of his maths exams at a level and achieving almost full marks in step and being part of the maths Olympiad national team. He got like 95% plus A*'s in maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and additional further maths!!!!!
Reply 70
Original post by metaljoe
A guy from my school a couple of years back did this. He is now at Cambridge doing maths through a scholarship after getting 99%+ in every single one of his maths exams at a level and achieving almost full marks in step and being part of the maths Olympiad national team. He got like 95% plus A*'s in maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and additional further maths!!!!!

:0 did what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Hi,

I'm creating this thread as a way to track my progress throughout the year and motivate myself to study. In my AS year I took AS-Maths, A-level Maths, AS Physics and AS Computer Science. I got 4A's. It might sound great but I missed the A* in Maths by 2 marks in my Core 4 paper. I got 100% in Core 1, Core 2 and Core 3 but my Core 4 dropped to just under 80%. This annoyed me a lot because I know I was ready for Core 4 and I know that I should've done miles better. It annoyed me because now I have to retake that module this year despite knowing it last year...it was just a bad day for me I reckon. My predicted grades are currently 3A*s (Maths, Physics, Computer Science) however my Further Maths looks to be an A, however I will try to get this bumped to an A* (I mean, I did really well in terms of UMS discounting Core 4). I am also taking the EPQ this year on Computer Science and I hope to be predicted an A*.

So my teachers believe me to be capable of achieving A*'s due to high A-grades last year however I must admit I think I won't manage it. I just feel like the margins for error are too high and I'll slip up like I did in my AS-year. I intend to try my hardest though and I hope this thread motivates others too.
I am applying to study Computer Science at Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Durham/Sheffield. My internal deadline for UCAS is next week. I also have to take the MAT in around a months time. Thus a lot of preparation is required. The work load is huge at the moment but I'm just about managing.

I will be working my socks off this year and I will begin my first post on Monday which will be my second full week at college. My first week was just appalling.
For Further Maths I will be studying the Edexcel syllabus (FP1,FP2,FP3,M2,S2,D1) and I hope to have FP1,M2,S2 finished by December.
For Physics I'm studying the AQA Syllabus and doing AstroPhysics for my option despite having chosen Turning points... my college sucks so bad.
For Computer Science I am doing the OCR exam board and I will be working on my coursework for the most part, I'm aiming to have that complete by December also. This will give me time to prepare for the exam.
Core 4, I will prepare for starting from January. There is no way I miss the A* in Maths next year. It scares me to think I might miss it again if I flop this exam.
My EPQ will be alongside my studies, I will sacrifice whatever time I have to it.
I am also a disadvantaged student in the sense that I attend a college that is underperforming and I am part of various schemes that allow me to apply to University. People from my area don't usually go to University and I will be the first in my family to attend University hopefully. Also I always thought Oxford/Cambridge were only for rich kids who could afford it lol..Glad they put that misconception away.
I am more than willing to pull my weight this year to achieve these grades. Oxford and Imperial are just hopes, I at least want to get offers from Bristol and Warwick and Sheffield/Durham.
If you have any advice about anything whether it be Universities, or how to succeed or A-levels I would be more than happy to receive it!
With that being said, I think this will be the opener to my thread.

Thanks for reading,
Someboady

EDIT: I am predicted 5A*s now. The support on this thread has been phenomenal and thank you everyone for your encouraging words, hopefully I'll meet everyone's expectations.

Hi, I'm only taking Maths, Chem and Physics and aiming for A*. Would you be open to having a study network online?

Thanks,
Reply 72
You think my body doesn't get like this?:s-smilie:

It's called grinding through the pain, so you can get what you want
Good luck with the MAT, it's a ****ing pisstake of an exam. No idea how I managed to get my offer, I thought I'd flunked it completely.
Hey! Targetting 4A* in Bio, Phy, Chem and Math

Not happening.
Reply 75
Original post by LillyB14
Good luck and well done
But why are you taking 5? Just 3 A*'s or 1 A* and 2 As can get you into any top university?
Maybe spend the extra time on extra curriculars or get a job to save for uni
(I didn't read the whole post)
Because after you're in uni, a level grades are largely unnecessary

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
Tbh I'm not really too sure! I guess if I had the option to drop anything it would have to be Computer Science... But I just thought, how would universities look at me dropping Computer Science since I've applied to do CompSci. Also Oxford writes on their website that if you're doing 4 A-levels its a good sign that you'll be able to cope with large work loads. And I just threw the EPQ in there because again, top universities like to see interest outside your syllabus!
Reply 76
DAY 9
Running low on food and water...
The lack of free periods is really getting to me... I'm finding I'm constantly learning new information and not being able to revise anything. This means I may fail my initial tests. We haven't got tests until half term and I do intend to revise for them but it'll be difficult whilst trying to meet deadlines for EPQ and Computer Science as well as prepare for the MAT.

Today I focused on preparing for the MAT and tackled a few questions in what time I had (45 minutes) and when I got home (1 hour 45 minutes).
Further Maths
Expecting to start FP2 next week hopefully!
Matrices is an example of my above statement where I'm feeling the lack of free periods, I just can't revise anything I've learnt so I often find myself scrounging through notes in class. Not that that's a problem, I'm just not used to having to go back over my notes in lessons. Normally things stick. However I do enjoy Matrices and I find the whole thing SO cool.
I have to start revising Core 4 now... there's NO way I miss that A* this year. If I miss that A* I will jump off a cliff lol
Physics
I hate practicals. They suck so much and I find we do too many of them. Sure I get why we do them, to help reinfore learning... but I'd much rather learn the theory and then do a practical to prove that theoretical point whether it be about Simple Harmonic Motion or Circular Motion. I've always considered myself a Kinaesthetic learner but not with Physics.
Computer Science
The struggle is real. I've got three sections to finish before my personal deadline, the 30th September and the Official deadline is on the 15th October. But I'm in better stead than the rest of my class. They were busy trying to revise what they'd learnt last year but I'm certain I'll be able to catch up on that in my holidays I hope (Christmas)
EPQ
The deadline for my project submission is next week! I've got to fill in the relevant paperwork! Hopefully I'll get that done tonight/tomorrow
MAT
The official prep has begun and I've started going over core 2 and core 1 formulae that I need to memorise ( I already know 99% of these but just to recall all of the information.) I plan on sitting my next MAT paper next week hoping that I'll score above 75. 75 is the aim. I will update on my next MAT score and I hope to see this increasing!
However its important to note that Oxford is not the be-all and end-all of my existence. I will be more than happy to attend my other 4 uni choices! So I won't sacrifice too much time towards the MAT but just enough to ensure I cover everything and get what practice I can before the exam :smile: I've also signed up for several challenging exams in November but I don't intend to prepare/revise for these (except maybe a couple papers to understand the structure... these will be taken solely for the purpose of a challenge! :smile: I think I'm overdoing myself even more now! *nervous laugh*
(edited 7 years ago)
I found the hardest part was having 12 exams on back to back days, makes cramming and going over notes quite hard.
Original post by Louisb19
I found the hardest part was having 12 exams on back to back days, makes cramming and going over notes quite hard.

How many a levels did you take
Original post by Himtiaz
How many a levels did you take

4A 2 and 1 AS in year 13 (and STEP)

17 exams so not as much as you but comparable

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending