The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Bicycles in Durham

Do many students use bicycles to travel around Durham University as they do at Oxford and Cambridge?
Original post by EleanorToms99
Do many students use bicycles to travel around Durham University as they do at Oxford and Cambridge?

I think generally Durham is very walkable (although i haven't arrived yet!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by EleanorToms99

Not as many because there are some serious hills. My daughter used hers a lot though (and still does, as she still lives in Durham 3 years after finishing her degree).

Cambridge is full of students who have never ridden a bike until they get there.
There are some, but as tiny hobbit says, there's basically no such thing as a flat road in Durham, and you'll be going up- or downhill wherever you're going - most of which are pretty steep. Most students will walk, since the effort required to ride the bike uphill is much more than walking, so it's not efficient, even when balanced out with the downhill. It's not unheard of, though, and I know Butler actually has an internal bike hire scheme as well as space for people to bring their own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending