The Student Room Group

Low UKCAT score, please help :( 2017 entry

Hi everyone. I just took my UKCAT today and although I didn't do absolutely horribly, I still did quite badly! :frown: Here are my scores:

Verbal Reasoning - 600
Quantitative Reasoning - 620
Abstract Reasoning - 680
Situational Judgement - Band 2

Overall: 1900, Average: 633

I am in the 4th decile (bottom 40%). I am completely panicking - which unis should I apply to? I am obviously not fussy at this point; I will go anywhere, I just want to get into medical school.

Additional info:
- 7A* 3A at GCSE (+A in Add Maths)
- Predictions 3A* 1A (Bio, Maths, French + A in Chem) (+ already achieved A in Japanese)

I would be SO grateful if any of you could give me some advice on unis that don't put so much weight onto the UKCAT! Thanks in advance, Ellen xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by thatsphantastic
Hi everyone. I just took my UKCAT today and although I didn't do absolutely horribly, I still did quite badly! :frown: Here are my scores:

Verbal Reasoning - 600
Abstract Reasoning - 680

I am in the 4th decile (bottom 40%). I am completely panicking - which unis should I apply to? I am obviously not fussy at this point; I will go anywhere, I just want to get into medical school.

Additional info:
- Predictions 3A* 1A (Bio, Maths, French + A in Chem) (+ already achieved A in Japanese)

I would be SO grateful if any of you could give me some advice on unis that don't put so much weight onto the UKCAT! Thanks in advance, Ellen xxx

Have you considered taking BMAT? Leeds would be a good choice because of the way they select for interview.
Also, your A level and predictions may well get you an interview at Barts? Also, take a look at the medicine wikia page on this page, was defo a lifesaver when i applied
Original post by Hectors
Have you considered taking BMAT? Leeds would be a good choice because of the way they select for interview.
Also, your A level and predictions may well get you an interview at Barts? Also, take a look at the medicine wikia page on this page, was defo a lifesaver when i applied

Thanks for replying! I'm not sure if I will take the BMAT - what I am scared of is that if you do badly in it, you can't change your choices, as opposed to the UKCAT where even though I did badly, I could at least change my options. I will take a look at barts. How did you do in the UKCAT and where did you apply?
Reply 3
Thanks for replying! I'm not sure if I will take the BMAT - what I am scared of is that if you do badly in it, you can't change your choices, as opposed to the UKCAT where even though I did badly, I could at least change my options. I will take a look at barts. How did you do in the UKCAT and where did you apply?

So i applied to Barts, Leeds, imperial and Sheffield. Interviews from the first three and offers from leeds and imperial.
I got 645 avg band 2 in the UKCAT, with AAAAA at A2 it bagged me an interview at barts.

I'd say that if you were to apply to Leeds for example where AAA at AS would get you full academics marks a bad BMAT score wouldn't really mean that you will get rejected. However, it is in your best interest to excel in it.

Don't fear the BMAT, if you choose your UKCAT universities wisely, and prepare for it thoroughly, you will be fine in the end xo
Original post by Hectors
So i applied to Barts, Leeds, imperial and Sheffield. Interviews from the first three and offers from leeds and imperial.
I got 645 avg band 2 in the UKCAT, with AAAAA at A2 it bagged me an interview at barts.

I'd say that if you were to apply to Leeds for example where AAA at AS would get you full academics marks a bad BMAT score wouldn't really mean that you will get rejected. However, it is in your best interest to excel in it.

Don't fear the BMAT, if you choose your UKCAT universities wisely, and prepare for it thoroughly, you will be fine in the end xo

Wow, offers from Leeds and imperial, that's amazing! You must have smashed your BMAT. Thanks so much for the advice - I've realised that all hope is not lost! I will seriously consider taking the BMAT. Thanks again, Ellen xxx
Reply 5
Consider Queen's Uni Belfast if your GCSEs are decent!

Got under 600 and still managed to get an interview there :smile:
Original post by Anon6
Consider Queen's Uni Belfast if your GCSEs are decent!

Got under 600 and still managed to get an interview there :smile:

Belfast was already one of my options as I adore the uni, so that info makes me really happy! What did you get in your GCSEs? Are mine good enough?
Reply 7
Belfast was already one of my options as I adore the uni, so that info makes me really happy! What did you get in your GCSEs? Are mine good enough?

Got 8 A*. I did also apply as a grad if that makes any difference
I did my UKCAT too, was putting in so much work in order to make up for the poor AS grades, but it had to go badly. This is what I got:
550 Vr (brought me down so much I know)
680 Qr
660 Ar
Band 2 SRJ
Average= 630
honestly, I am trying to get an A*AA this year.
what I got for AS:
B- biology
D-chemistry(effd me over:frown:)
A-business
B-maths
what I might be predicted- AAC- havent negotiated yet with my teachers, but with my UKCAT score, could I apply to these:
Manchester
Queens Mary
Leister
St geoges

please let me know I f I should still apply this year, or if I get rejected, would I be disadvantaged if I re-apply? thank you in advance
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Awsomedude
I did my UKCAT too, was putting in so much work in order to make up for the poor AS grades, but it had to go badly. This is what I got:
550 Vr (brought me down so much I know)
680 Qr
660 Ar
Band 2 SRJ
Average= 630
honestly, I am thinking about taking a gap year to redo my UKCAT, and try to get an A*AA this year.
what I got for AS:
B- biology
D-chemistry(effd me over:frown:)
A-business
B-maths
what I might be predicted- AAC- havent negotiated yet with my teachers, but with my UKCAT score, could I apply to these:
Manchester
Queens Mary
Leister
St geoges

please let me know I f I should still apply this year, or if I get rejected, would I be disadvantaged if I re-apply? thank you in advance

Depends on your prediction. If you're predicted AAC then an application to medicine would be a bit of waste of time as you wouldn't get past stage 1 which is AAA requirement.

And anyway, Manchester would be a no with a 630 UKCAT as you wouldn't meet the threshold. Well you wouldn't have for the last 5 years anyway.

Most important thing now is to work hard and achieve AAA. You can always take a gap year and apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got 590 in my UKCATVerbal - 510
QR-680
AR-580
STJ- Band 1
i got ABBC (chem, maths, bio and resligious studies)I think ill be predicted a minimum of AAA ( dropped RS the minute i finished the exam paper)Do you think I should do the BMAT, continue and apply to medicine with my ukcat? And what (universities?) Or should i just not apply to medicine?

Verbal Reasoning - 600
Abstract Reasoning - 680

Additional info:

Oh my god we got the same score how do we know what deciles were in? oh my god im gonna cry now im panicking
(edited 7 years ago)
Would anyone be able to help me with uni choices? :colondollar:

GCSE's: 7A*3A
A-level: AAAd
UKCAT: average 673, band 1

I had to resit 2 modules of AS chemistry and got a d in the 4th AS subject, which rules out a lot of uni's.

I've spent ages researching where to apply but I still think I'm making the wrong choices :frown:

- Hull York
- Bristol / Sheffield
- Leicester
- Aberdeen / Glasgow
Reply 13
Surely if you are in the 4th decile you are in the top 40%? If you were in the bottom 40% you'd be in the 7th decile?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kjfr
Surely if you are in the 4th decile you are in the top 40%? If you were in the bottom 40% you'd be in the 7th decile?

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.themedicportal.com/interim-ukcat-average-scores-for-2017-entry/

You can determine which decile you're in using the table.
Is the 4th decile any good then? Should I even bother applying
Reply 16
Sorry for raising your hopes and subsequently *****ing on them - I've just seen the link above. I was confused as at my medical school the 1st decile is the top 10% so its the opposite of UKCAT deciles. You are in the bottom 40% but theres still hope for Medicine if you apply wisely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I got a low UKCAT score. Did mine yesterday. I practiced as much as I could along with juggling working full time as a nurse but it wasn't enough. I am still going to apply as my perspective is that it's not quite over yet.
I got a ukcat score of 660 (1980)
Gcses 8A* 1A 1B
A levels (achieved) -A chem A maths A econ
As - A bio
Not having bio at A2 rules out quite a few unis but just wondering if my ukcat is good enough???
Reply 19
Original post by Hectors

HI! Isn't Barts really risky with a score like 633? I really wanted to apply there but I feel like it's gonna be a waste with a score like mine. I got 1900 (633 average) as well.
GCSEs: 7A* 1A
AS: 4A
A2 predictions: 4A*
Also, I don't have too much work experience but I'm gonna try to get more by the time interview comes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending