The Student Room Group

Any medical students who did bad in their GCSE's? But still got into Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This guy in my school got 3A*S,5AS and 2Bs - and he got into Imperial. HE got AAABB at AS - I guess he must have smashed his BMAT
I'm sure if you applied with achieved A Level grades, GCSEs become far more irrelevant and so you still have a chance that way?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
You're perfectly fine, as long as you don't apply to GCSE heavy medical schools.

Thank you! Do you have any ideas of medical schools that dont look into gcse's a lot?
Original post by shohaib712
Thank you! Do you have any ideas of medical schools that dont look into gcse's a lot?

BSMS, Leeds, Imperial and Newcastle/Durham are good. BSMS's only requirement is a B in English and Maths (then GCSEs are no longer considered further). Leeds will exclusively use your AS grades, so if you get AAA, you get full academic score(they base your academic score on either your GCSEs or AS grades(if offered). The best one is then used and a score calculated). Imperial don't consider GCSEs whatsoever, while Newcastle/Durham require C grades(then GCSEs are no longer considered - they're really UKCAT heavy).

The problem you have is that if you mess up the BMAT/UKCAT, your chances of medicine are essentially non-existent since all these unis that don't really care about GCSEs care a great deal about BMAT/UKCAT, so don't mess up!
BSMS, Leeds, Imperial and Newcastle/Durham are good. BSMS's only requirement is a B in English and Maths (then GCSEs are no longer considered further). Leeds will exclusively use your AS grades, so if you get AAA, you get full academic score(they base your academic score on either your GCSEs or AS grades(if offered). The best one is then used and a score calculated). Imperial don't consider GCSEs whatsoever, while Newcastle/Durham require C grades(then GCSEs are no longer considered - they're really UKCAT heavy).

The problem you have is that if you mess up the BMAT/UKCAT, your chances of medicine are essentially non-existent since all these unis that don't really care about GCSEs care a great deal about BMAT/UKCAT, so don't mess up!

Is queen Mary's university low GCSE weighted ?
Original post by nisha.sri
Is queen Mary's university low GCSE weighted ?

Not sure. I know they place quite a fair emphasis on UKCAT though.
You're perfectly fine, as long as you don't apply to GCSE heavy medical schools.

which are the gcse heavy medical schools?

Quick Reply

Latest