The Student Room Group

Need University Choice Advice

Right, here's the situation.
I did all my GCSEs a year early in Year 10 (that's what my school did) and didn't achieve great grades, BBBCCCC.
I moved to a different school for sixth form and failed my AS year. (DEU in History, Politics and Chemistry.)
I redid AS year and swapped Chemistry for RS. I achieved AAB in Politics, RS and History respectively.
I want to apply to LSE, UCL, Kings and Queen Mary to study History (as well as History and Politics at Queen Mary). Is it likely with a good personal statement and my current AS grades that I will get an offer from these unis?
Original post by history master
I did all my GCSEs a year early in Year 10 (that's what my school did) and didn't achieve great grades, BBBCCCC.
I moved to a different school for sixth form and failed my AS year. (DEU in History, Politics and Chemistry.)
I redid AS year and swapped Chemistry for RS. I achieved AAB in Politics, RS and History respectively.
I want to apply to LSE, UCL, Kings and Queen Mary to study History (as well as History and Politics at Queen Mary). Is it likely with a good personal statement and my current AS grades that I will get an offer from these unis?

I don't know much about most of those unis so can't comment accurately but I do know UCL is TOUGH- only 10% applicants get in, I think- so I'd say with a B in history, to study history, that one is pretty risky, even with a good PS.

Do your predictions match their requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If your grades match their entry requirements then definitely go for it. If not - don't give up hope just yet! Email them explaining your grades, work experience and anything else you feel may be relevant and ask them if it would be worth your time applying. They may tell you that they would consider you OR they will tell you no but let you know how to go about gaining entry to their course (be it sitting a foundation year, doing an access course etc).
I would definitely look into other universities and enquire about your grades and whether it would be worth your time as well just so you have back up options if the others say no. If they say no but you are still keen to go there, then take onboard their advice on how to go about gaining entry. You can email them through their Admissions department or if it is possible find the email for the head of the course and email them directly.

LSE Entry Requirements:
Successful applicants for these degrees are, typically, predicted to achieve or have already achieved at least AAA in their A level examinations (or a minimum of 38 points in their IB Diploma, with higher level subjects as above). In addition a strong pre-16 academic profile is looked for (GCSE grades of A or A*). The selectors consider not just the number of top GCSE grades that you have, but also your overall GCSE subject profile. GCSE (or equivalent) English and Mathematics should be at grade B or higher.
"Each application received is carefully considered on an individual basis, taking into account the full range of information presented including personal statement, academic achievement (including both past and predicted grades), subject combinations and references, before a final decision is made. As you will see from the individual programme information, there is a great deal of competition for places at the School. In 2014, we received 17,500 applications for 1,500 places. This fierce competition for places means that every year we unfortunately have to disappoint many applicants."

UCL:
A*AA-AAA one of which being history. GCSE wise - English Language and Mathematics at grade C. For UK-based students, a grade C or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) is required. UCL provides opportunities to meet the foreign language requirement following enrolment, further details at: www.ucl.ac.uk/ug-reqs

Kings:
AAA one of which being History. No mention of GCSE requirements.

Queen Mary:
AS- and A-level qualifications
We consider applicants with A-levels for all of our undergraduate courses. An offer will normally be made based on results from three A-levels. AS-levels may be taken into account in the offer making decision, but will not normally be part of the actual offer, with the exception of Medicine and Dentistry where an offer may also specify an AS grade. Please see our detailed course information for specific grade and subject requirements. So 3 A levels (did not mention on Entry Requirements page as appears they are using old UCAS system but I would believe it to be AAB) with at least a B in History.
(edited 7 years ago)

I would be inclined to say that an application to UCL and LSE would be uncompetitive, entry requirements are A*AA-AAA at UCL, whilst LSE ask for AAA. LSE also make this point: Thus the higher your AS grades (obtained at the first attempt) the better chance you will have of being made an offer. So in LSE's eyes your AAB this year won't cancel out the DEU the first time round.

With both those unis I would want to email admissions before I used up two choices to see if they would consider the application, given the retaking of the AS year.

Kings and Queen Mary are slightly safer choices, less likely to automatically reject, although you do have to consider with Kings that they want AAA, can you realistically expect to achieve that?

Generally I would advise people to have one, or at the very most 2 high risk choices, then at least 2 choices asking for what you can realistically achieve, and one safe choice asking for less- so ABB-BBB say. Do expand your search outside London, you can typically get into a better uni for your grades than in London (unless your an AAA+student), I did that and don't regret moving away one bit.
As Jelly1000 suggests, there are lots of other universities out there who are likely to be interested in you! Is there a reason for choosing London? You will find the cost of living will be more affordable outside of the capital, which might be beneficial to you. Also there are universities (ahem) like UEA which are within the Top 15 in league tables and also highly ranked for student satisfaction. Take a look at our video for History:

[video="youtube;uJ59Yf0rHZc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ59Yf0rHZc[/video]
You should check how those universities feel about you resitting your AS year. I don't think LSE, UCL, or Kings usually dismiss the initial AS attempt.
Applied to the universities and have an offer from Kings so far (AAA) and no rejections yet :smile::colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending