The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

To the guy above, i am also an undergrad applicant but all i know is bath has the best reputatiom out of those three. Imperial is probably the best in this country at chemical engineering alongside Oxbridge. Bath and Imperial will most likely have the best international rep. Imperial academically is awesome, its on par with oxbridge (it would have been my firm uni if i got the predicted grades), the place looks great and its also in london so you know what comes with that. Since chem eng is a well respectes degree and job prospects are great, i doesn't really matter much as to where you go but the gap between imperial and those three aren't that big tbh.
Original post by Karimbayoumi
Hey everyone!

I am an international student applying to UK universities for Chemical Engineering, and I am stuck between Manchester, Birmingham and Bath for my firm choice. Outisde of any rankings and league tables, I am asking YOU since you live in the UK and would be familiar with their reputation. Would someone recommend (preferably through experience) one of these universities to finalise my options? Also, I am curious as to whether the gap between all of them and Imperial for Undergraduate Chem Eng is huge or not. What matters most to me is international reputation and quality of academics. Thanks!

There's a Manchester chemical engineering student on this thread mayb you could pm him ask him of his experience.
Opinions on Swansea for chem eng?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchkin1212
Opinions on Swansea for chem eng?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hasn't got the prestige of some other universities but I believe the course has a good reputation. I would say don't pay attention to chemical engineering specific league tables when looking at courses as many of them are entirely manipulated year-by-year.

When you're deciding which uni you want to go to. Think about, what you plan on doing when you're there, what sort of things interest you, what achievements do you hope to make, what career path do you think you'd like going into the course etc. From there you can make an easier decision than just blindly shooting based on whether somebody says the university is good or not.

I wanted to be in a city that had a good nightlife, so I looked mostly at city universities. I wanted to play sports so I looked at the university club facebook pages etc to see which was the most active. I checked out which universities were hosting careers events from companies I would aspire to work for...
Original post by ChemEngGrad
Hasn't got the prestige of some other universities but I believe the course has a good reputation. I would say don't pay attention to chemical engineering specific league tables when looking at courses as many of them are entirely manipulated year-by-year.

When you're deciding which uni you want to go to. Think about, what you plan on doing when you're there, what sort of things interest you, what achievements do you hope to make, what career path do you think you'd like going into the course etc. From there you can make an easier decision than just blindly shooting based on whether somebody says the university is good or not.

I wanted to be in a city that had a good nightlife, so I looked mostly at city universities. I wanted to play sports so I looked at the university club facebook pages etc to see which was the most active. I checked out which universities were hosting careers events from companies I would aspire to work for...

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about Surrey? Any opinions of there for chem eng?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

No clue, but they're boring as hell at Frank Morton.
Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems really good, The ceo of Exxonmobil went Surrey, the head of the IchemE is the executive Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences at the University of Surrey, surrey is the only chem eng uni accredited until 2019, so we'll know for sure our whole degree will be accredited (Beng onlyy). The ceo of exxonmobil donated 1.7 million to Surrey, which they will use to open a new building for chem eng students starting 2017
Original post by leaveyusufalone
It seems really good, The ceo of Exxonmobil went Surrey, the head of the IchemE is the executive Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences at the University of Surrey, surrey is the only chem eng uni accredited until 2019, so we'll know for sure our whole degree will be accredited (Beng onlyy). The ceo of exxonmobil donated 1.7 million to Surrey, which they will use to open a new building for chem eng students starting 2017

Names aren't everything but sounds good, thanks.

Are you looking to apply there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How likely is it to get an offer from Bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How likely is it to get an offer from Bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bath is really good for Chemical Engineering but it's not Russel Group so its probably not that competitive.
Original post by timster32
Bath is really good for Chemical Engineering but it's not Russel Group so its probably not that competitive.

Thanks, although I've heard it's really competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, although I've heard it's really competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It might be, they have relatively high entry requirements. I'm not applying there as its not Russell group, I know that its really good for Chemical Engineering but I don't want to be a Chemical Engineer when I'm older.
It might be, they have relatively high entry requirements. I'm not applying there as its not Russell group, I know that its really good for Chemical Engineering but I don't want to be a Chemical Engineer when I'm older.

Ah okay. I don't think that Russel group is everything that you should base your decision on, but that's up to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah okay. I don't think that Russel group is everything that you should base your decision on, but that's up to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well in terms of future job prospects it might, if you want to be a Chemical Engineer then Bath is a no-brainer but I want to be an Investment Banker and although Bath's career prospects are good, going to a Russell group university would be better, if that makes sense?
Well in terms of future job prospects it might, if you want to be a Chemical Engineer then Bath is a no-brainer but I want to be an Investment Banker and although Bath's career prospects are good, going to a Russell group university would be better, if that makes sense?

Yeah makes sense. Where are you applying? And how come you want to study chem eng?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah makes sense. Where are you applying? And how come you want to study chem eng?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying to Imperial, Manchester, UCL, Birmingham and Nottingham/Edinburgh. I might get rid of either of these last two unis if I can convince my teachers to predict me an A in Further Maths and thus I can apply for Materials science at Oxford (this is because I'm interested in Materials science as well as Chemical Engineering although more towards chem eng).

I want to study chem eng because I love Maths and Physics and being able to do a degree in a subject where I can combine these two subjects is great, I'm interested in the energy side of things in particular. I'm not a fan of mechanical/structural engineering type things so Chemical was really the option that stood out for me. How about you?
I'm applying to Imperial, Manchester, UCL, Birmingham and Nottingham/Edinburgh. I might get rid of either of these last two unis if I can convince my teachers to predict me an A in Further Maths and thus I can apply for Materials science at Oxford (this is because I'm interested in Materials science as well as Chemical Engineering although more towards chem eng).

I want to study chem eng because I love Maths and Physics and being able to do a degree in a subject where I can combine these two subjects is great, I'm interested in the energy side of things in particular. I'm not a fan of mechanical/structural engineering type things so Chemical was really the option that stood out for me. How about you?

That's fair enough, nice reasoning.

I'm a big fan of chemistry and maths and just really love the applications of chemical engineering in industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's fair enough, nice reasoning.

I'm a big fan of chemistry and maths and just really love the applications of chemical engineering in industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I agree but in terms of Chemistry, I only found out in the summer that its not very Chemistry-based so I had to change my reasoning for wanting to do chem eng a little bit!

Quick Reply

Latest