The Student Room Group

Do you think the A level reforms are unfair?

Scroll to see replies

More difficult but not unfair.
Reply 81
Original post by Raventtt
A level reforms are hell. I got AAA averaging 94% this would have meant I had 3 guaranteed A's next year (I'd need a low-to-mid C to get an A over both years), however only 1 of them actually counted meaning next year will be twice as hard as the year above had it, although at least one actually counted! some people have none I guess.

Crazy, :s-smilie:
Reply 82
Original post by valbrechts
In Wales, AS grades still count for the overall A-Level but only 40%

For AS I had AAB (biol economics chemistry) so I didnt have to ask my teachers to 'boost' my grades so A2 predicitons are AAA by logic. The only people Ive seen asking for higher grades are the ones who were supposed to do well (ie. A* GCSE keds) but got Bs Cs and Ds instead

For my AS mocks I had: C - economics, E - biol, U - chemistry (AND I REVISED!!). Mocks arent everything so dw

I got my predictions to A*AA now YIPPEEE
Original post by APersonYo
I got my predictions to A*AA now YIPPEEE

Aww nice one. Good luck man
Original post by teenhorrorstory
The new spec papers were a nightmare, even the specimen papers were poor preparation for the actual exam. You could know the specification inside out and still do reasonably bad.
But what if you took the specimen paper analysed the style of question, found the locked specimen paper and compared, then used those to modify all of the past style question into the new style and practice those?
Reply 85
Original post by 04MR17
But what if you took the specimen paper analysed the style of question, found the locked specimen paper and compared, then used those to modify all of the past style question into the new style and practice those?

Okay, essentially, they've changed the bio questions drastically. For example, instead of getting a bog standard question asking: ' What are the advantages of double circulation?'. They will want you to apply this knowledge to say a diagram of the circulation of a frog's heart which isn't covered in the spec as we only look at how fish and insects breathe and the standard double and single circulation models. I was completely unprepared on how to apply my knowledge to a frog's heart which consists of 3 chambers and deoxygenated and mixed blood pumping through its arteries. I would also like to add that my exam required me to apply AS knowledge of biological statistics questions to an A2 statistical question. For example, I had to use my knowledge of the process of spearman's rank to work out how to do a chi square test. My AS paper also consisted of a lot of A2 questions which were not covered in the AS spec.
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay, essentially, they've changed the bio questions drastically. For example, instead of getting a bog standard question asking: ' What are the advantages of double circulation?'. They will want you to apply this knowledge to say a diagram of the circulation of a frog's heart which isn't covered in the spec as we only look at how fish and insects breathe and the standard double and single circulation models. I was completely unprepared on how to apply my knowledge to a frog's heart which consists of 3 chambers and deoxygenated and mixed blood pumping through its arteries. I would also like to add that my exam required me to apply AS knowledge of biological statistics questions to an A2 statistical question. For example, I had to use my knowledge of the process of spearman's rank to work out how to do a chi square test. My AS paper also consisted of a lot of A2 questions which were not covered in the AS spec.

I had that. Somehow had an A overall though
OK. I'm not the expert on Biology but I'll do my best.

Is blood circulation covered in the spec? If so what is the exact phrase?
Is the skill of interpreting diagram covered in the spec? If so, what is the exact phrase?

It probably says on the A2 unit spec that AS knowledge is required. But A2 doesn't exist anymore so you must be getting confused with something else.

Quick Reply

Latest