The Student Room Group

Chinese girl starves mother to death in fury at brutal internet addiction boot camp

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm interested in the use of language here, specifically "addiction".

If you look at Internet usage between our population and the Chinese population, one of the first things you'll find will probably be something about the Great Firewall of China, and how free the Internet is (or at least, certain aspects of it are) in comparison; censorship of the Internet in China is still a fairly big thing.

So it's not a massive leap to assume that the people who are sent to these "camps" aren't actually "addicted" at all; it's likely that they found a way to work around the censorship and have been viewing pages that don't coincide, or actually are opposite to, Chinese political doctrine. Officials pick them up and stick them in camps in order to "re-educate" them under the guise of "curing their addiction"

Boom, case closed. I should get myself a Mystery Machine and pimp the **** out of it.
strange situation, what would you do about this Corbyn if you were president?
Original post by Mathemagicien
If Corbyn were president, this situation would never have arisen, since everything would be unicorns and rainbows.

and Diane Abbot would be queen
This is funny as hell tbh.
Poor girl, I read in another paper that she was abused horribly at that boot camp (don't want to post the details here). It's enough to make someone messed up in the head and cause her to lash out at her abusers, who her parents were, indirectly.
Original post by Drunk Punx
I'm interested in the use of language here, specifically "addiction".

If you look at Internet usage between our population and the Chinese population, one of the first things you'll find will probably be something about the Great Firewall of China, and how free the Internet is (or at least, certain aspects of it are) in comparison; censorship of the Internet in China is still a fairly big thing.

So it's not a massive leap to assume that the people who are sent to these "camps" aren't actually "addicted" at all; it's likely that they found a way to work around the censorship and have been viewing pages that don't coincide, or actually are opposite to, Chinese political doctrine. Officials pick them up and stick them in camps in order to "re-educate" them under the guise of "curing their addiction"

Boom, case closed. I should get myself a Mystery Machine and pimp the **** out of it.

Mmmm off topic but western apologists used to spout on about how the kind government of Iran generously funded sex change operations for it's citizens. What was actually going on is that Homosexual men were being forced to have gender reassignment against their will.
Original post by Joinedup
Mmmm off topic but western apologists used to spout on about how the kind government of Iran generously funded sex change operations for it's citizens. What was actually going on is that Homosexual men were being forced to have gender reassignment against their will.

Indeed. Perspective matters a lot when these types of things happen.

As an aside, I presume the Iranian government has since shut down said "operations"? I ****ing hope they have anyway.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Indeed. Perspective matters a lot when these types of things happen.

As an aside, I presume the Iranian government has since shut down said "operations"? I ****ing hope they have anyway.

No, afaik they're still at it.
Reply 9
hope she will be executed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending