The Student Room Group

4 Bs as my AS grade, can I go to a good law uni?

Hi guys, i got 4 Bs as my AS grade, two of them are just 2 or 3 marks off to an A, don't know my predicted grades yet.
I'm hoping to get into a good law uni, but is there any that I can apply with this bad grade?
I'm kind of panicking now, appreciate any answers!
Yeah you can, you just need to really smash the A2s.
Probably not a golden triangle university but yes you could still get into a good uni. I'd also consider getting the two subjects that were close to an A remarked.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hellomaomao
Hi guys, i got 4 Bs as my AS grade, two of them are just 2 or 3 marks off to an A, don't know my predicted grades yet.
I'm hoping to get into a good law uni, but is there any that I can apply with this bad grade?
I'm kind of panicking now, appreciate any answers!

Hello, your predicted grades are usually one grade above the grade you achieved at AS level. So yours would most likely be AAAA. You could get in to a good university with those A levels. I would miss out Oxford or Cambridge since they ideally look for A's at AS level.
Reply 4
I got a D in my english language exam and i am re taking it. For the rest of my gcses i got Bs. I am currently doing A levels, maths bio and psychology(only picking 3 from the start so i can focus on 3 A levels). I want to study law in a good uni, in the russel group, do you think i can study law as i have to re take my english language exam, and as i am starting off with 3A level subjects.
Original post by Jelly432
I got a D in my english language exam and i am re taking it. For the rest of my gcses i got Bs. I am currently doing A levels, maths bio and psychology(only picking 3 from the start so i can focus on 3 A levels). I want to study law in a good uni, in the russel group, do you think i can study law as i have to re take my english language exam, and as i am starting off with 3A level subjects.

If you want a good grade for English overall, you will have to resit your language exam. You can still get in to a Russell Group, however not the best ones such as Oxford, Kings, LSE etc. As they require a VERY strong GCSE profile.

University of Leeds, Liverpool etc.. will all be good for you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by billy_k
If you want a good grade for English overall, you will have to resit your language exam. You can still get in to a Russell Group, however not the best ones such as Oxford, Kings, LSE etc. As they require a VERY strong GCSE profile.

University of Leeds, Liverpool etc.. will all be good for you :smile:

I spoke to someone from Kings college and they said there is no requirement for GCSE at kings to study law... not sure if they are just saying that or...
I spoke to someone from Kings college and they said there is no requirement for GCSE at kings to study law... not sure if they are just saying that or...

The majority of applicants who apply to Kings will have a strong GCSE profile. By that I mean no less than 5 A*-A grades. If you notice the A levels needed for Kings are A* AA (Same as Cambridge). If you also read their site, you will find that they do not accept A level resits (which is hard for you, there is no way you can change a D to an A* it is statistically impossible). Also, you need to do the LNAT for Kings.

I am not discouraging you from applying, you get 5 UCAS choices for a reason. Use them,
Reply 8
Original post by billy_k
The majority of applicants who apply to Kings will have a strong GCSE profile. By that I mean no less than 5 A*-A grades. If you notice the A levels needed for Kings are A* AA (Same as Cambridge). If you also read their site, you will find that they do not accept A level resits (which is hard for you, there is no way you can change a D to an A* it is statistically impossible). Also, you need to do the LNAT for Kings.

I am not discouraging you from applying, you get 5 UCAS choices for a reason. Use them,

yeahh its very competitive but if my predicted grade for AS is high do you think i would get accepted.
yeahh its very competitive but if my predicted grade for AS is high do you think i would get accepted.

Like I said, your A level predicted grades will usually be one grade up from your AS result e.g. if you got a D in AS Maths, you would most likely be predicted a C (unless you resit - but King's do not allow this). If you manage to persuade your teachers to predict you VERY high grades, the admissions team will become suspicious e.g. if your A level English grade is predicted 'A' they will have doubt.

Remember, getting an offer is one thing, getting the place is another. For law, if you miss your offer by even one grade, it could cost you a place.
That is not "bad". What will be really impressive is relevant work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest