The Student Room Group

should a 15 year old girl wear make up and have eyebrows plucked?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmirahxRashid
Thats also true. High school is horrible. I got bullied and its not an easy situation to get through. But i would suggest wear a little but not too much
I mean shes going to school not a fashion show lol. Thats what my mum says to me😂😂😂😂

Exactly! I mean, the poor girl does NOT need to contour and highlight and shape them eyebrows and cart her eyeshadow palette to maths with her. But a simple bit of cover up for acne or mascara for confidence should be okay.
I used to put eyeliner on when I was 14 but that's it.
Also, I never had my eyebrows plucked or even shaped. And when the time came for me to do it, the trend of thick eyebrows was in and still is so I never bothered.
Original post by Andy98
Tbh I don't think plucked eyebrows are that attractive - do prefer natural

Posted from TSR Mobile

You say that, but what you mean is natural looking plucked eyebrows, rather than pencil lines. Trust me, you do not want unplucked eyebrows on most girls.
Thats also true. High school is horrible. I got bullied and its not an easy situation to get through. But i would suggest wear a little but not too much
I mean shes going to school not a fashion show
lol. Thats what my mum says to me😂😂😂😂
Southeast Asian mum?

Because, mine says the same. :lol:
Original post by Eternalflames
I saw 12 year old hijabis in full make up and high heels, shopping around Westfield like they're in their 20s, just makes me laugh :lol:

If she had caterpillars I can sympathise, I have been threading mine since I was 12. If not, then yeah she shouldn't really touch them
Make up should be minimal at that age
lol :lol:
Original post by ShannyMorrison
Exactly! I mean, the poor girl does NOT need to contour and highlight and shape them eyebrows and cart her eyeshadow palette to maths with her. But a simple bit of cover up for acne or mascara for confidence should be okay.

Yeah u totally get where im coming from i mean we have gone through this high school transition ourselvesso i guess she should take our advice.xxx
Original post by Saba XD
Southeast Asian mum?

Because, mine says the same. :lol:

Hahaha lol where u from.
Im a paki u know like Pakistani 😂😂😂😂😂
Reply 27
First world problems.
it's her choice tbh. i've been allowed to wear makeup since i was 12 as long as i apply it properly and don't go out the house with an orange face
Hahaha lol where u from.
Im a paki u know like Pakistani 😂😂😂😂😂

Yeah. I'm a Pakistani too. :tongue:
Original post by Saba XD
Yeah. I'm a Pakistani too. :tongue:

Hahaha no way your mum sed that then.
Every paki mum is like that. Wayy to over protective lol
I've been wearing makeup since my last year of primary school (only light mascara mind)

By age 15 I, and most girls around me were wearing a full face of makeup. I think if applied correctly there is no harm, it boosts confidence and as long as it is nothing too bold there isn't really an issue.

Her mum should lay off her, there's far worse things she could be doing at 15 than putting a bit of foundation on and plucking her eyebrows !
Hahaha no way your mum sed that then.
Every paki mum is like that. Wayy to over protective lol

:tongue: :five:
I think even at 16 wearing too much makeup like contouring and eyebrow plucking is extreme, i at 15 just wore mascara and went along with it in situations that were considered formal, i personally believe too much make up before 18 is not necessary...
Reply 34
Original post by kingdrakiwi
here we go. no, you do prefer plucked eyebrows, even if it's just a little stray hairs underneath. you just don't like overly plucked brows where it's noticeably thin/sharp/overly shaped.
also i think she should just listen to her mum at this age. My mother wouldn't let me until I was 16.

Nahh, genuinely - the closer they are to Gandalf style the better. I've never plucked mine so why should she?

But the way makeup is going nowadays I genuinely don't know who I can make a move on when out in public - the ones I think are my age end up being like 14/15:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by espicton98
I've been wearing makeup since my last year of primary school (only light mascara mind)

By age 15 I, and most girls around me were wearing a full face of makeup. I think if applied correctly there is no harm, it boosts confidence and as long as it is nothing too bold there isn't really an issue.

Her mum should lay off her, there's far worse things she could be doing at 15 than putting a bit of foundation on and plucking her eyebrows !

I agree! I'm 16 and I started wearing makeup when I was 14 and started putting on full faces at 15. I don't think it's "too much" at all - I wear a full face to school every day (bar lipstick, ain't nobody got time to reapply that) and most people don't even notice. Besides, people are allowed to do what they want with their appearance, and makeup is hardly going to ruin her. Makeup is fun and expressive and a great art form!
How is everyone so supportive of spending half an hour every day putting on their face? I don't understand it, I find that too many girls nowadays rely on makeup for their confidence which is so sad. I feel it should only be worn daily in cases with serious acne (and then only acne friendly concealer/foundation). Then obviously at weekends and parties and stuff people can wear whatever they want, but not just your average school day?? Also it must cost a fortune omg. I'd say far too young to be wearing it on a daily basis.
Original post by carolinehj
How is everyone so supportive of spending half an hour every day putting on their face? I don't understand it, I find that too many girls nowadays rely on makeup for their confidence which is so sad. I feel it should only be worn daily in cases with serious acne (and then only acne friendly concealer/foundation). Then obviously at weekends and parties and stuff people can wear whatever they want, but not just your average school day?? Also it must cost a fortune omg. I'd say far too young to be wearing it on a daily basis.

What if I enjoy taking aside an hour or so a day to put on makeup? I agree that it's wrong to rely on makeup for confidence, but I for one really enjoy putting on makeup. The ritual helps me in the morning to feel more ready to take on the day. But why can't people choose to wear makeup when they want to?
I didn't wear makeup in secondary school and my sixth form. I'm in my second year of uni and I still don't. The only thing I wear is a lip palm. My two older sis used to wear makeup from a young age and told me not. My mum doesn't mind, however if I were to she would say minimal (mascara + lip balm).

I have moderate acne (plus some hyper pigmentation) and I couldn't careless what people think. Sometimes I feel like I want to wear makeup to cover it all up, but that isn't me. I'm more confident looking the way I actually am (I know this is vice versa for some) - plus applying make up is just a bother for me. I could use those extra 30 min to sleep :h: . Don't get me wrong on special occasions I will wear makeup.
I think her mother should let her. That's how kids her age learn - experimenting with makeup is what they do at that age. It's harmless and she will learn what suits her and what doesn't from her peers.

Quick Reply

Latest