The Student Room Group

Help deciding what uni to go to

Hey guys I'll cut to the chase. I've only got 160 UCAS points due to having to leave Sixth Form a few months into my second year due to illness and the tutors weren't very good. I'm looking to take a Computer hardware engineer course or something similar.
I know the best option would to go back and finish college but there is only one within reach of my house and you can only go there until you're 19 and I'm over the age. My question is do you know any universities that do a course like that and will accept 160 UCAS points? I'm looking to start either January or September 2017.
Thanks guys :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you looked into foundation years or foundation degrees?
Reply 2
I've found a few but they still require more ucas points than I have
www.push.co.uk has a handy-dandy calculator for seeing who would accept you for what.

Then, once you've got that, pick the uni based on location, societies, teaching quality, exchange opportunities and other things that are important to you.
Does the college do Access Courses which are aimed at people over 19? That would get you into uni.
Original post by jorgelocker
Hey guys I'll cut to the chase. I've only got 160 UCAS points due to having to leave Sixth Form a few months into my second year due to illness and the tutors weren't very good. I'm looking to take a Computer hardware engineer course or something similar.
I know the best option would to go back and finish college but there is only one within reach of my house and you can only go there until you're 19 and I'm over the age. My question is do you know any universities that do a course like that and will accept 160 UCAS points? I'm looking to start either January or September 2017.
Thanks guys :smile:

Try Keele for a foundation, I know they were accepting people with 200points for a full degree, sure the foundation points were less than that, but they still may want more than that.
https://www.keele.ac.uk/foundationcourses/sciencefoundationyear/

Distance learning Access course is going to be your best option whilst working.

The other option is a higher apprenticeship that may get you experience, a qualification to Lv3 (btec normally) which would be a good use of your next couple of years, and then progress to uni in a couple of years
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending