The Student Room Group

transferring into Italian university

Hey guys, I am really interested to study medicine in Italy, no matter which one, I am aware that i need to pass IMAT exam but regarding the fact that the competition is too high and also I am non-EU student so my chances are little lesser than EU student, despite that I am going to take the test but I would like to have a back up plan, I thought I would go Bulgaria or other eastern european countries for one year then I would apply for transfer-student for the second year for Italian universities.( in this case no IMAT is required.) BUT I have no information about the competition in transfer student process whats so ever. Any advise for be really appreciated. Currently, i just begun Biomedical science course at Keele university.
Regards
Reply 1
Im guessing you dont care which Italian uni because you like the idea of no tuition fee?

I would count your chances of transferring to an Italian uni as basically zero, there are already very few places available each year with a high number of applicants.

Some Bulgarian medical schools, Sofia I think it is allow you to complete the first 2 years of your degree in Italy and then the remaining 4 in Bulgaria.
As far as I know, you generally have to take the IMAT to transfer into Italian medical schools. There are a few exceptions, but for the vast majority, you should have to sit the IMAT like you're trying to get into year 1. Then afterwards, you have to rank along with everyone else. Since you're non-EU, you will be ranked with other non-EU students. If you rank high enough to get into your chosen universities, then you can ask for recognition of courses you have completed in your previous medical school. The problem is that you will usually not know whether or not you will be allowed to join another year besides year 1, until you have completed the IMAT and been admitted into the medical school, because only then will the various departments look at your transcripts and determine whether or not they closely match their own syllabus. Depending on the school, you may be allowed into the 2nd year or any other year, as long as your transcript matches closely to their syllabus (usually the 5th and 6th years are nearly impossible to tranfer into, from non-Italian medical schools); you may be allowed into the 2nd year with the agreement that you have to sit and pass some exams that do not appear to have been completed in your previous medical school; you may not be allowed to progress to an upper year because your transcripts do not match their syllabus close enough, in which case you would be asked to start from year 1. So before choosing your medical schools, try and look up their syllabi online, and compare it to your university transcripts; even then, there might be courses that are similar to what you have done, but some medical schools may still not accept it. It's just bureaucracy.

Alternatively, you can try to transfer without ranking by the IMAT. This usually happens around october/November, when the medical school has already taken in all their students, both new and transfer for the semester. The problem here is, there are not likely to be any places left for any transfers at the time of the year, which is why the IMAT is the most logical route to follow, if you actually intend to transfer.

And just as a side note, medical school is not free in Italy; it can be really cheap depending on your particular situation, as cheap as 500 euros per year for some students, but its not free.
UK Unis will not allow anyone to transfer in to their courses - because you wont have covered the whole GMC curriculum, or followed the specific course path at that particular Uni. And its almost certain that other European countries will be the same. 'Studying Medicine' isnt a form of academic tourism. With a pick and mix degree, your chances of UK registration and a sensible career in Medicine are effectively zero.
Reply 4
Original post by Spudhead
Im guessing you dont care which Italian uni because you like the idea of no tuition fee?

I would count your chances of transferring to an Italian uni as basically zero, there are already very few places available each year with a high number of applicants.

Some Bulgarian medical schools, Sofia I think it is allow you to complete the first 2 years of your degree in Italy and then the remaining 4 in Bulgaria.

Hi, thanks for ur reply. No i dont apply because of its fees, its only because their final qualification is fully recognized in my country but most of eastern European countries are not valid, such as Bulgaria or Romania and i want to be able to practice in my country for sure, i also loved Italy since childhood.
also i prefer to speak Italian at the end rather than polish or Hungarian.
so you said the number of application is too high? anyway i will study for iMAT and will do the exam for next year. thanks)
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
UK Unis will not allow anyone to transfer in to their courses - because you wont have covered the whole GMC curriculum, or followed the specific course path at that particular Uni. And its almost certain that other European countries will be the same. 'Studying Medicine' isnt a form of academic tourism. With a pick and mix degree, your chances of UK registration and a sensible career in Medicine are effectively zero.

http://www.imschool.it/transfer-requests/

Hi thanks for ur reply, university of Milan do accept transfer student. also i dont intend and possibly can practice in the UK because of I am an non EU but if i was British i sure would be able to practice in the UK if I had graduated from Italy.
My only question was the rate of success in this path.
thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by Bunicornaces
As far as I know, you generally have to take the IMAT to transfer into Italian medical schools. There are a few exceptions, but for the vast majority, you should have to sit the IMAT like you're trying to get into year 1. Then afterwards, you have to rank along with everyone else. Since you're non-EU, you will be ranked with other non-EU students. If you rank high enough to get into your chosen universities, then you can ask for recognition of courses you have completed in your previous medical school. The problem is that you will usually not know whether or not you will be allowed to join another year besides year 1, until you have completed the IMAT and been admitted into the medical school, because only then will the various departments look at your transcripts and determine whether or not they closely match their own syllabus. Depending on the school, you may be allowed into the 2nd year or any other year, as long as your transcript matches closely to their syllabus (usually the 5th and 6th years are nearly impossible to tranfer into, from non-Italian medical schools); you may be allowed into the 2nd year with the agreement that you have to sit and pass some exams that do not appear to have been completed in your previous medical school; you may not be allowed to progress to an upper year because your transcripts do not match their syllabus close enough, in which case you would be asked to start from year 1. So before choosing your medical schools, try and look up their syllabi online, and compare it to your university transcripts; even then, there might be courses that are similar to what you have done, but some medical schools may still not accept it. It's just bureaucracy.

Alternatively, you can try to transfer without ranking by the IMAT. This usually happens around october/November, when the medical school has already taken in all their students, both new and transfer for the semester. The problem here is, there are not likely to be any places left for any transfers at the time of the year, which is why the IMAT is the most logical route to follow, if you actually intend to transfer.

And just as a side note, medical school is not free in Italy; it can be really cheap depending on your particular situation, as cheap as 500 euros per year for some students, but its not free.

thanks for your tips, but i dont want to apply because of it low tuition fee.
Reply 7
Original post by imanm
Hi, thanks for ur reply. No i dont apply because of its fees, its only because their final qualification is fully recognized in my country but most of eastern European countries are not valid, such as Bulgaria or Romania and i want to be able to practice in my country for sure, i also loved Italy since childhood.
also i prefer to speak Italian at the end rather than polish or Hungarian.
so you said the number of application is too high? anyway i will study for iMAT and will do the exam for next year. thanks)

What country are you from? Because you get the same MD qualification from Italy that you do in Romania or Bulgaria.

I'm also applying to Italy next year :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Spudhead
What country are you from? Because you get the same MD qualification from Italy that you do in Romania or Bulgaria.

I'm also applying to Italy next year :smile:

I am from Iran, i am not fully sure why they dont valid their qualification i guess its because they dont have entry exam or if they have its a poor one. Bulgaria is also a good option though. But few uni in Czech is recognised so I am applying for them too, but Italy is the first choice.
which books are u going to revise from?
Reply 9
Original post by imanm
I am from Iran, i am not fully sure why they dont valid their qualification i guess its because they dont have entry exam or if they have its a poor one. Bulgaria is also a good option though. But few uni in Czech is recognised so I am applying for them too, but Italy is the first choice.
which books are u going to revise from?

Just going to use an A-level chemistry revision book. Im ok for biology and a lot of the chemistry because I already have a biomedical degree.