The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
That's really helpful thanks! Are you applying to Warwick this year? Good luck on your applications! :smile:
Reply 201
Thanks Marathi! I missed the open day but good to know how they rank the applicants. I had given up on warwick due to my v low ukcat but I think I will apply anyway - I have a free spot on my form since I am applying tp three gamsat unis.
Fingers crossed my first gets me to the work experience stage!
Hey,

Just checking, is this the email for GEM admissions? --> [email protected]

Or can I only contact them over the phone?

Also, thank you Marathi for the info!
(edited 7 years ago)
so the preliminary ukcat statistics are out and the VR average atm seems to be 584, not sure how many more people will be taking the test or how it will affect this in the final weeks. hoping it will stay the same as i am barely above that with a 590 ^^
Original post by Hugh Laurie
so the preliminary ukcat statistics are out and the VR average atm seems to be 584, not sure how many more people will be taking the test or how it will affect this in the final weeks. hoping it will stay the same as i am barely above that with a 590 ^^

I would expect it to go down, or stay relatively unchanged, not go up. Most of the prepared people sit well in time for applications. Normally the later sitters are those who do so on a whim (but of course there are exceptions).
Hey people! Does anyone know why there could be differences in the ukcat cut off stated for Warwick on the official site and in a freedom of information request answer?

It says on Warwick's site that the lowest score for selection centre last year was 2770 but on a 2016 FOI request it was stated as 2700? Any clues?
Original post by mQureshi
Hey people! Does anyone know why there could be differences in the ukcat cut off stated for Warwick on the official site and in a freedom of information request answer?

It says on Warwick's site that the lowest score for selection centre last year was 2770 but on a 2016 FOI request it was stated as 2700? Any clues?

As I already stated they don't have an official cutoff. They accept applicants with lower ukcat scores at discretion. Points are awarded for an applicants highest degree, so a PhD applicant could be accepted with a lower ukcat score than a 2.1 undergrad applicant who may not get accepted.

Due to this I imagine that Warwick would publish their 'cutoff' at a slight inflation to save on relentless queries of "I scored X ukcat which was above cutoff why didn't I get an interview?"
Original post by Marathi
As I already stated they don't have an official cutoff. They accept applicants with lower ukcat scores at discretion. Points are awarded for an applicants highest degree, so a PhD applicant could be accepted with a lower ukcat score than a 2.1 undergrad applicant who may not get accepted.

Due to this I imagine that Warwick would publish their 'cutoff' at a slight inflation to save on relentless queries of "I scored X ukcat which was above cutoff why didn't I get an interview?"

Ah okay, so I see! Thank you for clearing that up!*
However, would this put people in the final year of their first degree at a slight disadvantage as they do not have the result of their degree yet? Would only the UKCAT be used for their selection?*
Original post by mQureshi
Ah okay, so I see! Thank you for clearing that up!*
However, would this put people in the final year of their first degree at a slight disadvantage as they do not have the result of their degree yet? Would only the UKCAT be used for their selection?*

I think for final year undergrads they use their predicted grades and require you to meet them prior to starting. For postgrad they ask that the course is completed prior to applying.
Original post by Marathi
I think for final year undergrads they use their predicted grades and require you to meet them prior to starting. For postgrad they ask that the course is completed prior to applying.

Thank you very much!
Currently on UCAS on the education section. Do I need to go as far back as GCSEs? or just mention my degree?
Original post by SEB1991
Currently on UCAS on the education section. Do I need to go as far back as GCSEs? or just mention my degree?

All of your educational quals need to be included, even the not so glamorous results...
Reply 212
I submitted my ucas form yesterday and in the end, i decided to apply for warwick. What I find interesting is that the warwick uni id i was assigned is exactly the same as my uni id from my first course (a decade ago) :smile:

I suppose they use some sort of a formula to generate this.

Oh also I applied Monday morning and I received the ack today at 0545.
Original post by dr_2b
I submitted my ucas form yesterday and in the end, i decided to apply for warwick. What I find interesting is that the warwick uni id i was assigned is exactly the same as my uni id from my first course (a decade ago) :smile:

I suppose they use some sort of a formula to generate this.

Oh also I applied Monday morning and I received the ack today at 0545.

grats, must be a load off your mind ^^ just wondering, with the reference, does your referee just need to click confirm and can write it later on, or do they need to actually submit the reference in order for you to be able to complete your ucas form?
Reply 214
Original post by Hugh Laurie
grats, must be a load off your mind ^^ just wondering, with the reference, does your referee just need to click confirm and can write it later on, or do they need to actually submit the reference in order for you to be able to complete your ucas form?

I think they had to send a reference because the email i got from ucas said:

Your nominated referee has now sent us their reference for you. You can now proceed..

So you cannot pay/submit until this is done. Well technically you can submit without a referee but this might cause complications for your application.

In the email from warwick, they said they might need a signed letter from my referee but they will let me know.

And yes, glad this is over. :smile:
Interesting about references...
I'll be using my manager but the company are unaware of my intention to (eventually) leave and study medicine. My hope was that I'd get an offer before the employer is contacted.
Reply 216
Original post by ASupertramp
Interesting about references...
I'll be using my manager but the company are unaware of my intention to (eventually) leave and study medicine. My hope was that I'd get an offer before the employer is contacted.

When you enter the referee info, you need to enter their email then click on "send email" (from the form). Ucas will then email them a link to fill in the reference.

Can you get a senior colleague to do it? Or your uni tutor if you graduated in the last couple of years?
Original post by dr_2b
When you enter the referee info, you need to enter their email then click on "send email" (from the form). Ucas will then email them a link to fill in the reference.

Can you get a senior colleague to do it? Or your uni tutor if you graduated in the last couple of years?

Thanks for the reply. I got in touch with my uni but unfortunately only a few of the staff who were there when I was remain, and none are willing to give a reference (as they don't know me).
Only person above me is the organisation's manager, I'll just have to have a frank conversation!
Reply 218
Original post by ASupertramp
Thanks for the reply. I got in touch with my uni but unfortunately only a few of the staff who were there when I was remain, and none are willing to give a reference (as they don't know me).
Only person above me is the organisation's manager, I'll just have to have a frank conversation!

Ok good luck. I hope your manager is understanding. Afterall, it's not like there is much rivalry between med schools and other organisations.
Original post by dr_2b
Ok good luck. I hope your manager is understanding. Afterall, it's not like there is much rivalry between med schools and other organisations.

Thanks. It's less a matter of rivalry and more about losing a staff member but not sure when.
I'll wait until after my UKCAT!

Latest

Trending

Trending