The Student Room Group

Advice on joining the army.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DeathGuardElite
treat like crap for 4 years crap pay even 17 year old me would have laughed. If he had the same knowledge i have today, when i was 17 i was doing the level 2 uniformed public services course then i did the level 3 course.

Well if he was aiming for the parachute regiment the french foreign legion would be more realistic and about the same difficulty of the British Army.

Which FFL unit did you serve in?
Reply 41
Original post by REforever
What's the opinions on the royal artillery?

It's a broad Parish. You have guns, rockets, radar, unmanned systems, forward air controllers, air defence etc etc. Vast amounts of variation between job roles so will certainly require more research.*
Original post by NFI
Which FFL unit did you serve in?

Never been in the French Foreign Legion i just know their requirements and standards as i am contemplating signing up.
Reply 43
Never been in the French Foreign Legion i just know their requirements and standards as i am contemplating signing up.

And which British Army unit did you serve in?
Original post by NFI
And which British Army unit did you serve in?

Didn't serve in the British Army i'd rather slit my own wrists then fight and die for a pathetic monarch and her subjects.
Although the fact i didn't serve does not negatively impact my actual comments after all i was an Army Cadet, and i did 2 years of college studying for the Army, i aimed to be a para then decided it wasn't for me if the sheer fact that in the end i didn't do it means i can't comment then the British Army is even lower in my opinion.
Didn't serve in the British Army i'd rather slit my own wrists then fight and die for a pathetic monarch and her subjects.
Although the fact i didn't serve does not negatively impact my actual comments after all i was an Army Cadet, and i did 2 years of college studying for the Army, i aimed to be a para then decided it wasn't for me if the sheer fact that in the end i didn't do it means i can't comment then the British Army is even lower in my opinion.

It does, because you're not speaking from experience of being in. The notion that being in the army cadets gives you an idea of what being in the Army is life is something that would - rightly - get you laughed out of the afco.

OP would be better off getting advice from Arrse.
Original post by Drewski
It does, because you're not speaking from experience of being in. The notion that being in the army cadets gives you an idea of what being in the Army is life is something that would - rightly - get you laughed out of the afco.

OP would be better off getting advice from Arrse.

holy crap, so my College courses that gave me info is to be completely ignored? the place i got more info about the Army through speaking to serving soldiers, speaking to Reserves, my time at cattarick ITC, my time with the para's all meaningless?
(edited 7 years ago)
holy crap, so my College courses that gave me info is to be completely ignored? the place i got more info about the Army through speaking to serving soldiers, speaking to Reserves, my time at cattarick ITC, my time with the para's all meaningless?

Pretty much, yes.
Original post by threeportdrift
Pretty much, yes.

Then why the hell would the Army support that stuff?
Gods the British Army is more useless then i thought
Reply 49
Excellent, I just wanted to confirm you lack credibility on all matters British Army and FFL 🙂
Original post by NFI
Excellent, I just wanted to confirm you lack credibility on all matters British Army and FFL 🙂

Ah yes for research is meaningless how great is this path.
Then why the hell would the Army support that stuff?
Gods the British Army is more useless then i thought

Because they have a social responsibility to support these public benefit efforts. The Government also requires them to participate in these 'NEET prevention' courses and opportunities.
Because they have a social responsibility to support these public benefit efforts. The Government also requires them to participate in these 'NEET prevention' courses and opportunities.

But if they are useless and serve no purpose there is no reason to even have them.
If i've wasted 2 years of my life i wont get back then i hold that to the British Army for promoting that crap.
Reply 53
Ah yes for research is meaningless how great is this path.

I'm intrigued. Tell me what your research has informed you about life at Regimental duty for a reconnaissance soldier in a Cyprus based infantry battalion for example?
But if they are useless and serve no purpose there is no reason to even have them.
If i've wasted 2 years of my life i wont get back then i hold that to the British Army for promoting that crap.

Kept you off the streets for 2 extra years didn't it? The government and society feel that is worthwhile.
Original post by NFI
I'm intrigued. Tell me what your research has informed you about life at Regimental duty for a reconnaissance soldier in a Cyprus based infantry battalion for example?

So one job out of a thousand?
I could tell you about the Parachute Regiment and P-Coy, i could inform you the specialities you can go down I could inform you the extra career potential and the typical duty of the Four parachute companies, i could inform you the basic standards that regiment requires.
Or i could speak out of my arse about a regiment i didn't research for it wasn't required for me to research outside of regiments i was intending to join.
Kept you off the streets for 2 extra years didn't it? The government and society feel that is worthwhile.

I would have been off the streets anyway doing a different course, and even then if i hadn't been on a course i'd still have been off the streets likely searching for a job.
Reply 57
So one job out of a thousand?
I could tell you about the Parachute Regiment and P-Coy, i could inform you the specialities you can go down I could inform you the extra career potential and the typical duty of the Four parachute companies, i could inform you the basic standards that regiment requires.
Or i could speak out of my arse about a regiment i didn't research for it wasn't required for me to research outside of regiments i was intending to join.

What are the accommodation blocks like for 1PARA? How good is the scoff?
Original post by NFI
What are the accommodation blocks like for 1PARA? How good is the scoff?

Better then i'd originally had thought, when i went to Catterick when i signed up many moons ago after my BARB test and got invited to the RIC Para, we were all informed how the accommodation worked for the Coys atleast for the ones our instructors were part of and we were informed eventually after passing out and passing P-Coy that you have these room like things but they aren't proper rooms its hard to explain but i can visualize it fine, I was perfectly fine with the concept of a 8 man barracks in all honesty aslong as i wasn't sleeping on a hardwood floor.

When i did go for the RIC Para, we were put in the Gurkha barracks area the rooms have a radio in them on the wall near the doors had all sorts on it, the Instructors stuck the radio channel they refered to a Ghurka radio on randomly in the night(They got a tad drunk)

Army food is always good never could complain always enjoy it.
Reply 59
Better then i'd originally had thought, when i went to Catterick when i signed up many moons ago after my BARB test and got invited to the RIC Para, we were all informed how the accommodation worked for the Coys atleast for the ones our instructors were part of and we were informed eventually after passing out and passing P-Coy that you have these room like things but they aren't proper rooms its hard to explain but i can visualize it fine, I was perfectly fine with the concept of a 8 man barracks in all honesty aslong as i wasn't sleeping on a hardwood floor.

When i did go for the RIC Para, we were put in the Gurkha barracks area the rooms have a radio in them on the wall near the doors had all sorts on it, the Instructors stuck the radio channel they refered to a Ghurka radio on randomly in the night(They got a tad drunk)

Army food is always good never could complain always enjoy it.

8 man rooms in St Athan?

Quick Reply

Latest