The Student Room Group

Currently in a Mental Health Hospital

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *SweaterWeather*
*gulps* *feels guilty*

You shouldn't feel guilty for getting help
*gulps* *feels guilty*

Oh no need whatsoever! It's just a tricky situation when those first phone calls are handled less than sensitively.
Hey Guys
I've been an inpatient in a Mental Health Hospital for a few months now (I'm still here)
I wanna reduce the stigma aroud mental health...
So, ask me anything, call me any names you want, just go ahead and comment! I'll try and reply ^-^

Are you bored? Do you think it's helping you?
I went to a private hospital for outpatient therapy that also had residential. It was so far different from what I expected with some games, a nice living room etc and patients allowed to order in food and stuff. I was lucky enough to go on my parents medical insurance though (I was technicall a child still) so I don't know how different an NHS place would be. I can't shake the idea that it's some cold and dark ward hardly better than a prison or insane asylum with those little door slots for dinner trays and stuff. I know that's naieve, but how far off is it?

Also, I hope you're doing well and get better soon. Glad school is going well. :smile:
Original post by Kindred
Are you bored? Do you think it's helping you? I can't shake the idea that it's some cold and dark ward hardly better than a prison or insane asylum with those little door slots for dinner trays and stuff. I know that's naieve, but how far off is it?

Yeah, I do get bored a lot, but we have groups during weekdays (where we have therapy and games and stuff) and literally hundreds of movies at the weekend. The only thing is, all the groups and movies get very repetitive after the first 6 months or so...

haha it's VERY far off :smile: We have light and windows and are allowed our own duvets/blankets (mine's super fluffy<3). We have two lounges with tv's and Wii, and a Kitchen where we make cakes and stuff under supervision. We all eat together in the dining room too. yes, there are locked doors everywhere, and chairs are attached to the floor and there are alarms in every room, but the staff really try to make it as homely as possible :smile:
Reply 24
any particularly memorable escape attempts happened?
Yeah, I got sectioned on the 27th March (cri)
I got admitted after going to General for an assessment :frown:I'm still an impatient there, but I'm currently at school :biggrin:

What age are you? And what were you admitted to the hospital for?
Yeah, I do get bored a lot, but we have groups during weekdays (where we have therapy and games and stuff) and literally hundreds of movies at the weekend. The only thing is, all the groups and movies get very repetitive after the first 6 months or so...

haha it's VERY far off :smile: We have light and windows and are allowed our own duvets/blankets (mine's super fluffy<3). We have two lounges with tv's and Wii, and a Kitchen where we make cakes and stuff under supervision. We all eat together in the dining room too. yes, there are locked doors everywhere, and chairs are attached to the floor and there are alarms in every room, but the staff really try to make it as homely as possible :smile:

I'm glad to hear it's not that bad. I would be so glad to have my own pillow at least. I would be lost without my pillow honestly! :P
It's a shame you get bored but I hope it's at least helping you. Glad to hear the staff are nice too. I hear so many horror stories that it starts to seem all hospital staff are abusive and spit in your tea.

Thanks for answering. It's great having some people to break stigmas and better educate people by sharing their experiences. I for one am glad to hear something oter than the horror stories in the news. Gives me some hope :smile:
Original post by iThrow

haha I climbed over a wall, and ended up in Reading overnight :/ but that was whilst I was on the Open unit...
Original post by iThrow

I once escaped whilst sectioned and ended up in the centre of a London town. The staff found me there about 30 minutes later and restrained me in a bank. Then police showed up. People were taking pictures and videos because they thought I was trying to rob the bank...
Original post by Noodlzzz
I once escaped whilst sectioned and ended up in the centre of a London town. The staff found me there about 30 minutes later and restrained me in a bank. Then police showed up. People were taking pictures and videos because they thought I was trying to rob the bank...

Wow.

Quick Reply

Latest