The Student Room Group

Taking Further Maths as a 5th A level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carolinehj
You basically need at least two (preferably more though) out of chemistry, biology, physics, and maths.

Not really. Almost all uni's require chemistry, most require biology to at least AS. However apart from one college in Cambridge no uni requires physics or maths and you hold no advantage by taking them. In fact UCL prefers a non science subject for your 3rd A-level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HopelessMedic
Not really. Almost all uni's require chemistry, most require biology to at least AS. However apart from one college in Cambridge no uni requires physics or maths and you hold no advantage by taking them. In fact UCL prefers a non science subject for your 3rd A-level.

Obviously you need chemistry, but you can still do medicine with chemistry, maths, and physics :smile:
Obviously you need chemistry, but you can still do medicine with chemistry, maths, and physics :smile:

You can but your options will be limited without biology. A lot of uni's require biology to at least AS level
You can but your options will be limited without biology. A lot of uni's require biology to at least AS level

Obviously yes. Chemistry, biology and maths will probably give you the best advantage as your main 3, and then one more in something equally academic.
Obviously yes. Chemistry, biology and maths will probably give you the best advantage as your main 3, and then one more in something equally academic.

Firstly you only need 3A levels for an offer, and secondly taking maths gives you no advantage over something taking English for example.
Original post by Himtiaz
TL/DR : Is it worth taking an extra A level?

No.
Firstly you only need 3A levels for an offer, and secondly taking maths gives you no advantage over something taking English for example.

Firstly, medicine is one of the most competitive courses to possibly apply for, doing 4 a levels would definitely give you the edge over others. Secondly, maths may not give you an advantage when applying however it most definitely will help you with your chemistry a level. And just to clarify I said 'help' not 'you must do maths a level to succeed at chemistry a level'.
Firstly, medicine is one of the most competitive courses to possibly apply for, doing 4 a levels would definitely give you the edge over others. Secondly, maths may not give you an advantage when applying however it most definitely will help you with your chemistry a level. And just to clarify I said 'help' not 'you must do maths a level to succeed at chemistry a level'.

You are very wrong here. Medicine being competitive does not mean you are more likely to get an offer with 4 A-levels. Each uni looks at applications in very different ways, some prefer high GCSE's/UKCAT and other look at your personal statement more. You clearly do not know much about the application process.

Also taking maths to help you with chemistry is pointless, chemistry calculations are not mathematically difficult at all.
You are very wrong here. Medicine being competitive does not mean you are more likely to get an offer with 4 A-levels. Each uni looks at applications in very different ways, some prefer high GCSE's/UKCAT and other look at your personal statement more. You clearly do not know much about the application process.

Also taking maths to help you with chemistry is pointless, chemistry calculations are not mathematically difficult at all.

Of course taking more a levels makes you a more competitive applicant! It shows you can handle a larger workload, can manage your time etc, which is obviously essential for a medic student. Obviously different unis have different requirements, however being able to happily manage more a levels definitely makes you a better and therefore more competitive candidate. Obviously that doesn't mean you can't get in with only 3 a levels.

So you're saying if same ukcat/bmat, same gcses, same predicted, same extra curriculars etc but one does 5 a levels and the other does 3, they'll have an equal chance? Haha no.
Of course taking more a levels makes you a more competitive applicant! It shows you can handle a larger workload, can manage your time etc, which is obviously essential for a medic student. Obviously different unis have different requirements, however being able to happily manage more a levels definitely makes you a better and therefore more competitive candidate. Obviously that doesn't mean you can't get in with only 3 a levels.

So you're saying if same ukcat/bmat, same gcses, same predicted, same extra curriculars etc but one does 5 a levels and the other does 3, they'll have an equal chance? Haha no.

Look you clearly don't know anything about medicine applications so there's no point continuing this, unless stated by the university extra qualifications wont give you an advantage.

Take Imperial for example, they don't even look at GCSE's beyond basic requirements and therefore having 20A*s will leave you no better off than having straight B/Cs.
Look you clearly don't know anything about medicine applications so there's no point continuing this, unless stated by the university extra qualifications wont give you an advantage.

Take Imperial for example, they don't even look at GCSE's beyond basic requirements and therefore having 20A*s will leave you no better off than having straight B/Cs.

Do you not realize what they say on their website and the real thing are very different? Does it ever say on the Oxford website that you need 7A*s at GCSEs to get in? No. But most people who go have it, if not more. Universities need to differentiate between candidates somehow. Imagine if two candidates had the same extra curriculars, bmats, gcses, work experience etc, but one was doing 4 a levels and an epq and the other was doing 3. Obviously one of them would have the edge. It's all about increasing your chances. This is applicable to applying to any course and uni, you need to have the edge over other candidates.
Reply 31
I did the AS further maths last year, and it's so interesting, and isn't harder than AS maths at all really, just different. I also did additional maths which basically makes C1, C2, and M1 incredibly easy, so doing FP1, S1 and D1 as well really isn't a big problem. However what you should also take into account, is that (if you're in Y12), at the beginning of Y13 you'll have a much better idea of what you want to do at uni e.g. medicine or natural sciences. If medicine then you can swap out the physics for the AS further maths (since it'll be a lot easier for you anyway), and if natsci then you can swap out the biology for the maths, so you can always leave doing the AS further maths till next year. Also, side note, you don't need biology to do medicine.

What other subjects did you do?
What did you get at AS?
What do you want to do with your subjects?
5 A levels compared to 4 isn't going to be really an advantage. Just choose the 4 (or 3) most relevant if it will stretch you too much.
Plus, Further Maths A2 is hard!
Reply 33
Original post by james813
5 A levels compared to 4 isn't going to be really an advantage. Just choose the 4 (or 3) most relevant if it will stretch you too much.
Plus, Further Maths A2 is hard!

I was only thinking of taking it to AS. I've done around 40% of FP1 in further maths gcse and we're covering mechanics in physics anyay
Original post by Himtiaz
I was only thinking of taking it to AS. I've done around 40% of FP1 in further maths gcse and we're covering mechanics in physics anyay

I totally recommend at least AS then if you did a bunch of it at GCSE. Don't know about A2 as subjects can get easier or harder but if you end up choosing FM you do FP1 (obvs) then you pick two modules. or at least your teachers should anyway. mine are teaching D1 and 2 (dont recommend it, im about half way through D1 and you literally follow a method and get marks, no derivations or anything) but they let you choose. a couple of my friends intend on doing mechanics or stats. therefore the three of us do-
Me- FP1 D1 D2
Friend 1- FP1 M2 M3 (hes crazy clever i believe despite it being AS hes doing 4 and 5 too)
Friend 2- FP1 S2 S3

TL;DR I recommend the AS, you can probs choose your modules
Reply 35
Original post by Toasticide
I totally recommend at least AS then if you did a bunch of it at GCSE. Don't know about A2 as subjects can get easier or harder but if you end up choosing FM you do FP1 (obvs) then you pick two modules. or at least your teachers should anyway. mine are teaching D1 and 2 (dont recommend it, im about half way through D1 and you literally follow a method and get marks, no derivations or anything) but they let you choose. a couple of my friends intend on doing mechanics or stats. therefore the three of us do-
Me- FP1 D1 D2
Friend 1- FP1 M2 M3 (hes crazy clever i believe despite it being AS hes doing 4 and 5 too)
Friend 2- FP1 S2 S3

TL;DR I recommend the AS, you can probs choose your modules

I think that the AS modules that I'd do would be S1 S2 M1 and one of those modules is for normal maths.
What other subjects are you taking?
Original post by Himtiaz
I think that the AS modules that I'd do would be S1 S2 M1 and one of those modules is for normal maths.
What other subjects are you taking?

Normally A level maths does C1 C2 M(or S)1 then in the second year C3 C4 then the other applied module. But since maths/FM is modular i think apart from the C and FP modules everything can change. If you are thinking of physics i think over the two years you should get M1 and M2 done. Literally all of M1 is covered in the first year of physics and M2 is a bunch of second year physics and C4 combined.

In my first year i did Maths Bio Chem and physics. Now in the second year i dropped biology (found it a bit boring) and took up AS FM. Rather irritating actually i have to teach it myself due to timetable clashes
Original post by Himtiaz

Ok, then go for it if you want as you can always change your mind in a year. But fyi, the mechanics in physics is super easy compared to m1 and m2
Reply 38
Alongside c1 c2 m1 & fp1 what 2 applied modules would you recommend. I'm going to keep m2 for A2 maths
Original post by Himtiaz
Alongside c1 c2 m1 & fp1 what 2 applied modules would you recommend. I'm going to keep m2 for A2 maths

Probably S1 and D1

Quick Reply

Latest