The Student Room Group

What is London like to visit and live in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
The thing is, if you have a family and you are about 35-45 and boring, then living in places like Wellingborough or Rugby is probably OK for you, as their utter boredom and lack of amenity reflects your own mental state, not to mention spending up to 3 hours a day sitting on a train in cramped conditions with other equally boring people.

The thing is, if you have a family and you are about 35-45 and boring, then living in places like Wellingborough or Rugby is probably OK for you, as their utter boredom and lack of amenity reflects your own mental state, not to mention spending up to 3 hours a day sitting on a train in cramped conditions with other equally boring people.

Lol, you're entitled to your own opinion, have you actually lived there to make these informed opinions?
I grew up in London for my whole life and I just recently started to appreciate the fact that I was born and raised in London. The city is diverse and there is so much to do. You are surrounded by lots of different cultures. However, some parts of London are obviously better than others...and the biggest downside is that it is quite expensive.
Original post by suky321
Lol, you're entitled to your own opinion, have you actually lived there to make these informed opinions?

I live in London. Why do I need to go there to discover that life there is not a patch on living in London? :confused:
you can feed the birds.... tuppence a bag
I live in London. Why do I need to go there to discover that life there is not a patch on living in London? :confused:

I've lived in both London and other places away from London. As much as I love London and enjoyed my time there when I lived there, I would much prefer to live somewhere where there's no traffic jams almost every day, public transport is not crowded. The houses are much much more affordable. I have the countryside on my doorstep. It is quiet and peaceful. I can catch a train to London that can take me there in 50 minutes. The people are much more friendly here. I don't have to wait in long queues for many things. There are so many advantages.

There's loads of ex-Londoners who live where I do and they've never regretted moving and have settled here due to the good schools and quality of life. They still commute to work in London, but without the hassle and expense of actually living in London. The train journey for some is shorter than tube and buses to work whilst they lived there.

The biggest cost-saving thing is they can buy a large new-build 4 bed detached house with garage near the countryside, for less than they would pay for a small terraced house in London. We have 4 major cities nearby, so it's not as if we're totally away from the everything.

Londoners probably spend more time queuing or waiting in their lifetime than they actually enjoy a good quality of life. No wonder some of them are impatient aggressive drivers.
OK. You get that this is a student site, right?

Only mad people and Uber drivers attempt to actually drive around London in what you outsiders call a "car".

What's your problem? :rolleyes: Shes been more helpful ITT than you :rolleyes:
Original post by PrinceHarrys
What's your problem? :rolleyes: Shes been more helpful ITT than you :rolleyes:

It's a chat thread and I don't have to be 'helpful', but I am actually trying to be - if you have an enquiry on a student forum about living in London, do you think it's 'helpful' (generally) to direct people to Kensington or Chelsea, or to suggest they buy a 4-bed family house in Northants? Seriously?

where have you lived in London? as a student or graduate? :smile:

@suky321 By an hour's commute do you mean Heathrow etc.? :yep:

Student :smile: Hoping to leave London for uni!
It's a chat thread and I don't have to be 'helpful', but I am actually trying to be - if you have an enquiry on a student forum about living in London, do you think it's 'helpful' (generally) to direct people to Kensington or Chelsea, or to suggest they buy a 4-bed family house in Northants? Seriously?

I wasn't suggesting someone buys a 4 bed house, I was merely using that as an example of the cost disparity between London and places outside of London within easy reach for commuting.
Original post by suky321
I wasn't suggesting someone buys a 4 bed house, I was merely using that as an example of the cost disparity between London and places outside of London within easy reach for commuting.

Yes, I understand, but most younger people and especially students are not going to commute for hours every day, they are either going to live and be in London or live and work elsewhere, unless they are older and have a paid job as well or something. I'm sorry if I come across as rude, I get a bit fed up with older/richer people who have a different perspective coming onto the site and making remarks that are clearly hopelessly useless and ill-informed for people of our age group.
Only visited Camden and that was nice.
It's raining here atm
Yes, I understand, but most younger people and especially students are not going to commute for hours every day, they are either going to live and be in London or live and work elsewhere, unless they are older and have a paid job as well or something. I'm sorry if I come across as rude, I get a bit fed up with older/richer people who have a different perspective coming onto the site and making remarks that are clearly hopelessly useless and ill-informed for people of our age group.

Fair enough, it's just that the original question in the post was "What is London like to visit and live in?", I just gave my opinions.

If my posts weren't useful now, perhaps they may come in handy in the future when you're a lot older and think of settling down... :smile:
inspired by @AngryRedhead s thread. :smile:

I've never lived in London personally but I've visited with a friend for a few nights when I was younger and it was amazing! :love:
Reply 35
I live in Lewisham, South London (LOL on list of most dangerous places in London even tho its nah da deep) and its generally close to central London (but still a 1 hour bus journey!!). Theres hella roadmen round here, and theres always something to do, I wouldnt live anywhere else. Houses are mad expensive, but not as much as in other places in London. For school trips its usually the generic central london trip to the national gallery, tate modern, science musuem, zoo etc. Theres never nothing to do, but in my area its kinda rough, like some man git stabbed yesterdsay im pretty sure
are you serious? how common is sexual harassment? :eek:
are you serious? how common is sexual harassment? :eek:

I've been on the tube a bajillion times and have never been sexually harassed. Don't worry- lol, also: London is a capital city with the good and the bad, it's a whole package. But, other than that, from a life-long (lol I'm only in my teens) Londoner, you'll love it. Especially if you're outgoing and love a big city!

PS: Just don't make eye contact on the tube with anyone, it's pretty weird.
well i've lived here my whole life, wouldn't want to live anywhere else. screw what the media says, my perception of my London is very, very different to the bias medias perception

its full of life and vibrancy and the people are very real here. a city like no other
There's a lot of nice villages you can live in the south east corner of London/north of Kent. Commuting to central London takes about 40minutes on a train :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest