The Student Room Group

I drug-test my kids, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1010marina
You did kind of dodge this question - what happened when they told you? Any consequences?

The consequence of them telling me is that I drug-test them.
Original post by DrSocSciences
They've admitted they have. Next question.

Do you worry that drug testing may just push them away from soft drugs such as cannabis with large detection windows to harder drugs with shorter detection windows or drugs not covered by the test at all?
Original post by dingleberry jam
Do you worry that drug testing may just push them away from soft drugs such as cannabis with large detection windows to harder drugs with shorter detection windows or drugs not covered by the test at all?

Yes, it's a risk, - perhaps a greater risk of the harder drugs route, than of drugs not covered by the test.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by k.russell
ah fair enough. It must be very hard as a parent, I would say from a young persons perspective though that in general, occasional use of recreational drugs isn't the end of the world - or even necessarily a bad thing. I fail to see how smoking is any less bad than drinking for example, other drugs I can definitely understand your concern though. If you don't mind me asking, what are they taking?

Smoking is pretty much worse than everything unless you get caught...
Original post by SmashConcept
Smoking is pretty much worse than everything unless you get caught...

lol y?
Dad, why are you on TSR? O.O
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Dad, why are you on TSR? O.O

Son, you're more messed up than I realised. I'm female.
Original post by k.russell
lol y?

Because it gives you cancer in the lungs.
So do you reckon I should just ignore this, as a passing phase?
So do you reckon I should just ignore this, as a passing phase?

As long as it's not hard drugs.
Original post by 0xFFFFail
As long as it's not hard drugs.

So I just keep testing, to establish it's not hard drugs?

Or I stop testing now, as they're currently dabbling in weed?

Or I keep testing because the school will throw them out for either soft or hard drugs?

Or I stop testing so they don't feel persecuted at home as well as at school?
(edited 7 years ago)
Son, you're more messed up than I realised. I'm female.

So I just keep testing, to establish it's not hard drugs?

Or I stop testing now, as they're currently dabbling in weed?

Or I keep testing because the school will throw them out for either soft or hard drugs?

Or I stop testing so they don't feel persecuted at home as well as at school?

Ask them what drugs they take? I don't know the mentality of a drug taker but I'm sure they would tell you if they took something that could mess their life up like heroin.
Plenty of people do weed at my school, the presumably doesn't know - why would it?
Personally, I would ask them if they feel uncomfortable about being drug tested because I believe you can use that to help decide the way forward.
I know what they're taking, and they know that I know, so we're in a stalemate. I'm genuinely worried that they'll get thrown out of school, and make an example of, to deter the other pupils, which is why I'm casting around looking for other ways forward.
I know what they're taking, and they know that I know, so we're in a stalemate. I'm genuinely worried that they'll get thrown out of school, and make an example of, to deter the other pupils, which is why I'm casting around looking for other ways forward.

Really, this is just based off my experience at comprehensive school - so might be very different where your children are - but you would have to be selling weed to get in serious trouble, kids in lessons would clearly be stoned and no one would say anything, if someone was caught with weed they might get excluded (temporary) and watched very closely. I do think you would struggle to find a school for 11-16/18 year olds listing their drugs policy as anything but strict. ("We have a very relaxed drugs policy here...")
If your kids are smoking in school, I would just tell them they may seriously regret if they put smoking first instead of education - I know I do.
With that said, I do think it can be part of a healthy and productive lifestyle, in the same way that for many people drinking alcohol is, but I would mainly try to impress upon them that school isn't really the place.
There you go. That's it.
Am I supposed to care?
do u know where my maths book is?
Reply 57
Original post by tamil fever
do u know where my maths book is?

Unless someone else has taken it, it's exactly where you last left it.
Original post by Tootles
Am I supposed to care?

Obligation seems a sensitive subject to you.

Quick Reply

Latest