The Student Room Group

Revision time

How long should i be studying each subject a week at home if i am doing my GCSE this year? THIS IS URGENT!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Just stay on top of your work load for now, work hard on homework, make good notes for end of topic tests, or when you finish a particular topic (which you can use later). The intense revision I think should start around Easter time, where you start making lots of notes/doing past papers etc, however starting early is always a good idea. Christmas period should be spent reivising throughly for mocks, the better your notes are now, the easier it will be later on for you to revise. Spend oct/nov on homework and notes. Spend dec/jan preparing notes and practicing for mocks. Spend The time after mocks relaxing, you don't want to burn out too soon! March finishing off content. March/April making notes. May/June doing exams therefore studying/revising all day everyday basically. Good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by carolinehj
Just stay on top of your work load for now, work hard on homework, make good notes for end of topic tests, or when you finish a particular topic (which you can use later). The intense revision I think should start around Easter time, where you start making lots of notes/doing past papers etc, however starting early is always a good idea. Christmas period should be spent reivising throughly for mocks, the better your notes are now, the easier it will be later on for you to revise. Spend oct/nov on homework and notes. Spend dec/jan preparing notes and practicing for mocks. Spend The time after mocks relaxing, you don't want to burn out too soon! March finishing off content. March/April making notes. May/June doing exams therefore studying/revising all day everyday basically. Good luck!!

Thanx but I'm not sure how long to study after school at home
Original post by NK778
Thanx but I'm not sure how long to study after school at home

Right now? Since it's only September, just doing enough to complete homework etc would be sufficient. Probably around 2-3 hours of work in the evenings.
Reply 4
I, personally have too much homework to actually revise. We are given so much homework that i have to spend 2 hours on it afterschool and 5 hours on saturday and a sunday. So i barely have time for revision.
The thing ive been told by my teacher is at this point is to make sure you have really good notes from class and IF you want to study, only study to what you want to study, especially since its several months away.
So dont say i am going to study for 3 hours today, bause in reality at this point in the year it is not needed, so say instead, i am going to study till i dont want to anymore. This could be 5 mins 10mins 30,40. Dont keppushing yourself to a certain time frame because youll only get bored half way through and the information wont stay clearly in your brain
Reply 5
Right now? Since it's only September, just doing enough to complete homework etc would be sufficient. Probably around 2-3 hours of work in the evenings.

So 2-3 hours each subject??
Reply 6
But my parent keep on saying to study everyday but i don't know since i have a lot of classes in and out of the day
Original post by NK778
So 2-3 hours each subject??

No 2-3 overall a night, just to do homework or consolidate bits you weren't sure about in class (basically whatever needs doing). You only really need to start reivising at Easter time, that's what I did.
Original post by NK778
But my parent keep on saying to study everyday but i don't know since i have a lot of classes in and out of the day

They are concerned for you which is understandable, however revising this early on is simply not needed, unless you feel particularly challenged by a particular subject, in which case you should maybe do some extra work on that subject. If you are stuck for which to concentrate on, concentrate on the ones that many universities ask for such as eng Lang/ eng lit / maths, as having these will definitely help you later on in life.
Reply 9
They are concerned for you which is understandable, however revising this early on is simply not needed, unless you feel particularly challenged by a particular subject, in which case you should maybe do some extra work on that subject. If you are stuck for which to concentrate on, concentrate on the ones that many universities ask for such as eng Lang/ eng lit / maths, as having these will definitely help you later on in life.

i have mocks coming up next week so is it necessary as well??
Original post by NK778
i have mocks coming up next week so is it necessary as well??

Next week?! Why so early?? We had ours in early February. Definitely revise for any tests you are going to have, however do it in a way that'll be beneficial to future you, eg making notes/power points/worked examples, so later on in March or whenever you can come back to the work you did now and it'll be really helpful.
Reply 11
Next week?! Why so early?? We had ours in early February. Definitely revise for any tests you are going to have, however do it in a way that'll be beneficial to future you, eg making notes/power points/worked examples, so later on in March or whenever you can come back to the work you did now and it'll be really helpful.

there is C1 C2 B1 B2 P1 P2 mocks now and unit 3 as well in january
Original post by NK778
there is C1 C2 B1 B2 P1 P2 mocks now and unit 3 as well in january

Wait I thought you were doing gcses??
Reply 13
Wait I thought you were doing gcses??

i am
but i don't know if they are practice or counted

Quick Reply

Latest