The Student Room Group

Oxford A101(2017 entry)

Hi there,

Is any one else thinking applying for graduate entry medicine at Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lostperson
I am :smile:
What are your stats like ?

mine:

A level : Bio: B Sociology B Media: A Chemistry: A
Undergrad degree Birmingham : Biomedical Sciences (68%)
Post Grad MSc - University of Oxford: 66%

Hi there,

I am predicted to achieve a first in Biomedical Science(BSc) and I got ABB in A2. I hope Oxford are very lenient when it comes to A-level grades.

Have you started preparing for the BMAT? and have you also managed to get your references sorted?

Good Luck to us all:smile:
Original post by Tsar101
Hi there,

I am predicted to achieve a first in Biomedical Science(BSc) and I got ABB in A2. I hope Oxford are very lenient when it comes to A-level grades.

Have you started preparing for the BMAT? and have you also managed to get your references sorted?

what subjects were your a2 in?
I am starting on the 3rd! right after my UKCAT. have you?
Yes I have managed to sort my refs out..luckily 2 are from oxford so it wasn't too hard and one is from birms x
Original post by Tsar101
Hi there,

what were your 2nd year results like?
Reply 4
what subjects were your a2 in?
I am starting on the 3rd! right after my UKCAT. have you?
Yes I have managed to sort my refs out..luckily 2 are from oxford so it wasn't too hard and one is from birms x

Maths, Biology and Chemistry respectively.

Very lightly, but I will start properly very soon probably around the 3rd too.

Thankfully all my lecturers were happy to act as my referees'. I am hoping they will get back to me quite soon.
Reply 5
what were your 2nd year results like?

I got 73% overall. With 89% in semester 3(hopefully this can boost my main reference).
Original post by Tsar101
I got 73% overall. With 89% in semester 3(hopefully this can boost my main reference).

ye sounds positive! yeh they don't really care too much about a levels. Which uni are u at currently?
Reply 7
ye sounds positive! yeh they don't really care too much about a levels. Which uni are u at currently?

University of Kent. I was worried that I my application could be discriminated on the basis that it is not a member of the Russell group but recent FOI responses show that this is not the case. So I am hoping it will be alright :smile:
Original post by Tsar101
University of Kent. I was worried that I my application could be discriminated on the basis that it is not a member of the Russell group but recent FOI responses show that this is not the case. So I am hoping it will be alright :smile:

100% won't be ... they look at your grades :smile: xx
Reply 9
100% won't be ... they look at your grades :smile: xx

Thank you :smile:

Do you know how they use the BMAT?
Original post by Tsar101
... recent FOI responses show that this is not the case.

Could you link? :smile:
Original post by Tsar101
Thank you :smile:

Do you know how they use the BMAT?

on the website they say they score applicants but when i looked at another foi the lowest was a score of 10 and highest was 18?
so im not sure?
Reply 13
on the website they say they score applicants but when i looked at another foi the lowest was a score of 10 and highest was 18?
so im not sure?

Oh really, I hope they use the BMAT to discriminate candidates in a similarly way to undergrad applicants.
(edited 7 years ago)
Subbing for future reference :wink:
Reply 15
Hi guys! I'm thinking of applying too!
Reply 16
Original post by mQureshi
Hi guys! I'm thinking of applying too!

Hey there,

How is your application going?
Reply 17
Does anybody know if we are supposed to include our predicted degree grades on the Oxford application form?
Hello everyone. I was considering applying to Oxford A101 until recently my lecturer has tried to dissuade me :frown: I am studying at a non-russell group institution and everyone from my course that has applied to Oxford before has never got an interview.
He believes they had a stronger profile than me and that Oxford may say they have a 'lower' criteria but that they internally set the bar really high.What are your thoughts on this, everyone?
Reply 19
Original post by NewVivacity
Hello everyone. I was considering applying to Oxford A101 until recently my lecturer has tried to dissuade me :frown: I am studying at a non-russell group institution and everyone from my course that has applied to Oxford before has never got an interview.
He believes they had a stronger profile than me and that Oxford may say they have a 'lower' criteria but that they internally set the bar really high.What are your thoughts on this, everyone?

What your lecturer said is 100% wrong and utter nonsense(it was the case however about 10-15 years ago). Look at link a few posts up which may provide you with some answer. Oxford kind of ranks students based on BMAT primariy, so he can't really say your application is weaker compared to your previous colleagues as you have not taken the exam yet. But do keep in mind that it is still super competitive. In order to stand a chance your BMAT score needs to be in the top quarter of the applicant pool (or in the top 40% provided your academic portfolio is amazing and it shows pressing evidence that the BMAT score was just a blip).

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending